Why aren't most of my notifications and data syncing working properly?

vertigoelectric

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Most Notifications and Data Syncing not working properly

Samsung Galaxy S5, Rooted
Android Version 4.4.2

Just under two weeks ago I noticed I wasn't getting notifications for apps such as Voxer, Chess Time, etc.. (also Gmail). Around that time, I was getting ready to go on vacation for a week and installed Battery Doctor (which I have used in the past). I attempted to configure Battery Doctor to not kill the apps that I was not getting notifications for but that didn't help. Finally I just uninstalled Battery Doctor completely. That still didn't fix it. I checked to make sure background sync / automatic sync / mobile data was all on but none of these seemed to be the culprit.

FYI, another strange thing not specific to notifications but clearly related to the issue was something I observed while playing Chess Time. If I have the game board on the screen and my opponent submits a move, the board updates automatically for me and I can then make my move. However, this was not happening. I would have to return to the games list, then open up the game board again. The reason i believe this is related will be explained below.

After a ton of troubleshooting I finally decided to try removing my Gmail account from my device and re-adding it. When I went to accounts, I realized I actually had added a 2nd account. The 2nd one was not necessary, so I removed it. When I removed both accounts, suddenly all of the previously missing notifications flooded in. When I added my main account back, everything seemed to work again... for a while.

I began to see a pattern with this. If I remove my account from the device, I'll start getting notifications again, and even for a short while after adding it back... but then at some point (usually less than a day) they stop again.

This is getting incredibly frustrating and I'm hoping someone here at the forums will work with me to get things working normally again.

As mentioned earlier, I know the chess game board update issue is related somehow because during the time that the notifications are working properly, the game board will update properly as well. Because of this, I have reason to believe that it's not a notification-specific issue but something with the data being pushed to my device.

Oh yeah, and one thing to note is that I *DO* get SMS/text notifications (I use the third party texting app "Textra"). Those notifications come in just fine.

For what it's worth, I do use apps such as "App Quarantine" and "Android Firewall" and I do have certain apps blacklisted, but this has been the case long, long before I began having this new problem.

The part that baffles me the most is... why does it start working the instant I *remove* my gmail account from the device?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae