I previously had a Droid Incredible and Incredible 2. I never had an issue with data overage on my bill. I upgraded to the Galaxy S5 a couple of months ago and I was told last night by a Verizon representative that I used over 5 gigs of data last month. WTF??? How is that possible? I asked him to please help me understand how that is possible, but he said he couldn't help with that. This does not make sense to me. I do not use my phone any more than the previous 5 to 6 years. How can I go from using and average of 1.7 gigs per month to over 5?
    10-30-2014 10:28 AM
    I seemed to have stumbled upon a similar issue. I came from S3 and S4 to the S5, and for the first time since 2010 I got a 75% data usage warning. I quickly checked the data usage stats on the phone (I'm on WiFi at work and home, so I rarely use data) and it looks like Facebook was leading the way somehow. Now I don't know what happened there with Facebook as I do very little on there as well, but the phones built in data usage tracker was very accurate in terms of mb or GB used.

Keep an eye on that, figure what apps are eating data, switch everything possible to WiFi only syncing, etc, etc. You'll be fine after that.
    10-30-2014 10:40 AM
    I've went over my data limit last month as well and my data tracker says facebook is number 1 on that list. It must be a recent update causing it to eat more data or something because I rarely use the facebook app

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 10:58 AM
    Ever consider an unlimited data plan? People love to hate on sprint but I personally have no problem with them. No dropped calls, always connected to Lte (In my area anyway). Does verizon have an Unlimited data plan? I can't ever see me having a smart phone without having that freedom of not worrying about if I'm going to go over my limit.
    10-30-2014 02:03 PM
    You got to watch the social apps, they are data hungry.... and, Facebook had to apologize for something that was eating up a lot of data just recently....

I take positive control over data usage on my phone, if the screen is black as night, the internet is turned OFF period....

I use a lot of screen time, and I still rarely go over 850 kB data/month. My daughter has a Windows phone on a share plan with me and the two of us don't use more than about 800/900 mB per month.

We both configure Wifi as the default method, and we both do NOT download anything unless we have WiFi connected.

You can surf a lot of forums, read a ton of newspapers online, SMS all day long, and still be under a megabyte/month.

We have a 3 gB plan but have never, ever, used even half of it.
    10-30-2014 04:24 PM
    Yeah my s5 uses by itself 4 GB a day and reaches my Internet limit this happens from Facebook mostly and Google +

using SM-G900H KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0X1
    I9505 WARRANTY VOID 0X0 in vacation
    10-31-2014 01:35 AM
    Yeah my s5 uses by itself 4 GB a day and reaches my Internet limit this happens from Facebook mostly and Google +

My S5 has been using data like crazy I don't do a lot on it during the day. Here recently it used almost 10 GB in 2 days. Have closed every app and restricted background data also. But that does not seem to help. So if any one has any ideas of what could with the data issue I would appreciate it.
    11-09-2014 03:45 PM

That sounds like you have them set to do things over mobile data.. Such as Google + backup. This isn't normal.
    11-09-2014 04:22 PM
    My S5 has been using data like crazy I don't do a lot on it during the day. Here recently it used almost 10 GB in 2 days. Have closed every app and restricted background data also. But that does not seem to help. So if any one has any ideas of what could with the data issue I would appreciate it.
    What shows on the data usage within your phone?
    11-09-2014 04:22 PM
    I can vouch that is NOT normal at all. My S5 does not use more than about 850 KiloByte/month and that is sharing our data plan with my daughter. We have our phones set so that they will only use WiFi and very rarely do we use Mobile Data for anything but email, a bit of reading news stories, etc...

In fact, if you look at my signature line, my phone does not have access to the internet when it is idle (screen locked)
    11-09-2014 05:46 PM
    What shows on the data usage within your phone?

Its shows KB, and Megabytes. On top of the data issue it calls people back after I hung up with them.
    11-09-2014 06:10 PM
    Maybe your phone settings are set to download certain things using data instead of wifi. When I switched to the S5 my data usage didn't go up. Between my wife and I our usage is only around 3 gb per month.
    11-09-2014 06:24 PM
    Maybe your phone settings are set to download certain things using data instead of wifi. When I switched to the S5 my data usage didn't go up. Between my wife and I our usage is only around 3 gb per month.
    I will check settings now to see if that's it. Thanks
    11-10-2014 12:33 PM