Something popped up saying my device was infected with a virus?

chellybeeean

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
i was on google searching the internet and a pop up came up saying my device had been infected and to hit ok to fix it. Well i didnt hit ok i just closed the website out and cleared all my google chrome info. Should i be worried? the phone is acting fine now but im worried :(

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine did this yesterday. Its probably a trojan trying to get you to install something.

I think it said it was tap snake or something like that. I think it was an app I downloaded. I uninstalled the app and haven't had the pop up since. Hopefully that was it.

If there is anything new you installed, try getting rid of it and see if it fixes it.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Normally, it is a rogue website that is trying to get you to give them Permission to install something on your device.

Anytime you see something like that, kill the browser NOW, I don't even back out of it, I just hit the Double Menu on the S5 and kill all apps. Then you need to do as mentioned above, clear the cache, uninstall any recent apps that you might have installed as a precaution.

That is why I keep a log of my apps as they are installed, way too easy to forget that you just installed a new one....

Restart the phone to make sure all vestiges of the rogue app is cleared from memory.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, a message just popped up again saying my phone was infected with a virus, so I guess it wasn't that app. Annoying

You probably went into a went into a website without even noticing. Or you clicked on a link and it took you to that pop up screen. If you want to be safe just factory reset your phone so it can be fresh. You don't have to I'm just saying. I only suggest this because this too happened to me. I don't have a virus software no need to it just eats up the battery and takes up space. Plus I have one built in the phone.

Posted via Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5😎

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
You probably went into a went into a website without even noticing. Or you clicked on a link and it took you to that pop up screen. If you want to be safe just factory reset your phone so it can be fresh. You don't have to I'm just saying. I only suggest this because this too happened to me. I don't have a virus software no need to it just eats up the battery and takes up space. Plus I have one built in the phone.

Posted via Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5??????

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was. I clicked on a link from another forum I was on and that's when it popped up. It happened twice and that's when I realized it was the sight doing a pop up.

Country67Mouse

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
If you do factory reset will you not lose your contact list or photos etc.? I receive a virus notice and all I did was update my apps that I use ie Facebook and Twitter to name a few. Now when I go on to Accuweather that's when the virus notice comes up; but, so far it's find on other websites.

Evan Mohr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
If it is on browser it is not a virus Get DU Speed Tester and it comes with security and it pops up when downloading something with virus

Posted via the Android Central App

kayme713

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I had Avast and scanned it after I got this message, and it didn't pick up anything. My parents told me to get BitDefender, scanned it and found 4 Trojans.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your not allowing installs from unknown sources and dont install/give permissions. Close the tab. G2g? Seems so. I see these all the time. My phone & tablet act completely normal once the tab has been closed.

Edit: just ran Malwarebytes and Bitdefender out of curiosity. Found nothing as expected.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got the same thing going to a website for song lyrics. I restarted my phone and cleared cache. Should I be worried of anything?

Hello and welcome to Android Central Kurapika!

Not really. These bogus warnings.... (I mean... a battery virus... no such thing! :D), are just a pain. Just don't download anything that they might ask you to. If you are at all worried, you can install one of the many free anti virus apps from the Play Store, such as AVG AntiVirus FREE for Android or Antivirus & Security, and run a scan.

scottanimator

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Just had it on my Samsung4. It came up while checking a site that I built. My client's site had been hacked with a "Redirect" file. My phone had a window come up that said "Your battery is infected and that I had 5 minutes to click the button at the bottom to fix it." a timer started a countdown and something else about leaving the window would give me some issues. I shut the power off right away and rebooted. All seems ok now but I'm backing up stuff to be sure.

joe_socket2me

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
If it is on browser it is not a virus Get DU Speed Tester and it comes with security and it pops up when downloading something with virus

It's a website link on your browser that's telling you you have a virus. Sometimes you have multiple tabs on your browser and the virus message is on the last tab. Just keep hitting the previous button (bottom right key on a Galaxy) and delete all the tabs by clicking the X on the right side of each tab. It's an annoyance that wants you to download some app. DON'T PANIC.

Last edited by a moderator: