11-07-2014 07:45 PM
65 123
tools
    The iPhone 5S will be my last iPhone. I played with both the 6 and 6 plus at the AT&T store and found them to be nothing more than an enlarged 5S.

Don't get me wrong.. Both are fine phones but I still much prefer Android..

I'll keep the iPhone around for awhile since I want to keep that number active..
    What I meant was, if your going to do a photo comparison, compare the galaxy S5 against the iphone 6 instead of the 5S.
    shanghaichica likes this.
    11-02-2014 08:47 PM
    What I meant was, if your going to do a photo comparison, compare the galaxy S5 against the iphone 6 instead of the 5S.
    I agree...

Since iPhone upgraded the 6 and 6 plus sensors to the motion sensor there is a slight difference between the 5S and 6..
    11-02-2014 08:50 PM
    iPhones beat Droids because of software optimization. Even HDR quality is good. But Lumias with Pureview can take absolutely better shots than iPhones if one knows how to play with its manual settings.
    11-02-2014 11:08 PM
    I'm confident that the S5 will beat the iPhone 6 /6+ in good lighting.

Posted from my S5
    11-02-2014 11:36 PM
    I'm confident that the S5 will beat the iPhone 6 /6+ in good lighting.

Posted from my S5
    The only difference between the iPhone 5S and 6/6+ is the addition of the motion sensor so I tend to agree with you.

Most changes in the camera market whether it be a camera/phone or DSLR is so minute that the increase in quality can only be measured with test equipment..
    11-03-2014 06:50 AM
    Hands down my 4s iphone took better photos in dark areas than my Galaxy S5 does.
    Then you are using your S5 wrong. My S5 takes better low light pictures than my iPhone 5 ever did. The only camera aspect my iPhone 5 has produced better shots with is its front facing camera compared to my S5's front facing camera. That was until I disabled beauty mode on my S5, now they all look fine and not heavily processed.
    11-03-2014 11:04 AM
    Then you are using your S5 wrong. My S5 takes better low light pictures than my iPhone 5 ever did. The only camera aspect my iPhone 5 has produced better shots with is its front facing camera compared to my S5's front facing camera. That was until I disabled beauty mode on my S5, now they all look fine and not heavily processed.
    Lol. Because there's so many custom controls on a phone camera.
    11-03-2014 11:55 AM
    Exactly, it's hard to "mess" up a photo on a smartphone unless your composition is horrific and you shoot directly into the sunlight or your hand shakes during the shot.

Some people on these forums have a hard time admitting specific aspects of the S5 are lacking in comparison to other devices.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    black_thorne likes this.
    11-03-2014 01:41 PM
    I have photos I've taken with an old CoolPix 3MP camera and the photos look better than the S5 ,5S and 6/6+

It has more to do with how you use it and experience in knowing how to use it.
    11-03-2014 11:36 PM
    There are actually tons of options with the S5's camera. My point is that the iPhone 5 featured a better camera than the iPhone 4S yet I've continually taken better shots with my S5 even in low light conditions. I'm not delving deep into the S5's settings either, just messing around with HDR mode (on-screen HDR correction is something Apple needs to do) and anti-shake mode. Both produce better low light shots than my iPhone 5 did with HDR enabled. It was particularly evident for me when I was comparing photos taken at a concert.
    11-04-2014 09:25 AM
    There are actually tons of options with the S5's camera. My point is that the iPhone 5 featured a better camera than the iPhone 4S yet I've continually taken better shots with my S5 even in low light conditions. I'm not delving deep into the S5's settings either, just messing around with HDR mode (on-screen HDR correction is something Apple needs to do) and anti-shake mode. Both produce better low light shots than my iPhone 5 did with HDR enabled. It was particularly evident for me when I was comparing photos taken at a concert.
    Could you please list the tons of custom controls the phone camera has?
    11-04-2014 11:46 AM
    Could you please list the tons of custom controls the phone camera has?
    HDR mode, picture stabilization, selective focus, face detection, ISO settings, burst shots, image size, exposure settings, white balance settings, and various other effects. It's more than what Google offers in their camera app and more than what my iPhone 5 offered.
    11-04-2014 11:57 AM
    HDR mode, picture stabilization, selective focus, face detection, ISO settings, burst shots, image size, exposure settings, white balance settings, and various other effects. It's more than what Google offers in their camera app and more than what my iPhone 5 offered.
    Out of all of those listed, only three will have an effect on low light image quality.

- Picture Stabilization which is Samsung's method of concealing the physical weaknesses of the sensor by taking multiple shots and fusing them together in an effort to create a better resulting image.

- ISO Settings are a joke on the S5, sure they may make the image brighter but the ISOCELL sensor is terrible in dealing with ISO and thus increases noise and grain tremendously at "higher" ISO settings. The result is worse image quality but a marginally brighter shot.

The camera on a smartphone should be sufficiently capable of capturing spur of the moment shots with decent quality. There is no point in me having to set up my smartphone and then adjust multiple settings in an effort to produce a marginally better shot. The chances of me getting the shot using this method is next to none, things don't exactly stand still and wait for you.

If you have ever used an HTC One M7/M8, you know the ease of taking good low light shots, the phone focuses in a split second and takes the shot without any delay. Sure the resolution may not be all that high but for spur of the moment shots with good consistency, it is hard to beat.

black_thorne likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:02 PM
    Out of all of those listed, only three will have an effect on low light image quality.

- Picture Stabilization which is Samsung's method of concealing the physical weaknesses of the sensor by taking multiple shots and fusing them together in an effort to create a better resulting image.

- ISO Settings are a joke on the S5, sure they may make the image brighter but the ISOCELL sensor is terrible in dealing with ISO and thus increases noise and grain tremendously at "higher" ISO settings. The result is worse image quality but a marginally brighter shot.

The camera on a smartphone should be sufficiently capable of capturing spur of the moment shots with decent quality. There is no point in me having to set up my smartphone and then adjust multiple settings in an effort to produce a marginally better shot. The chances of me getting the shot using this method is next to none, things don't exactly stand still and wait for you.

If you have ever used an HTC One M7/M8, you know the ease of taking good low light shots, the phone focuses in a split second and takes the shot without any delay. Sure the resolution may not be all that high but for spur of the moment shots with good consistency, it is hard to beat.

I don't really take a lot of low light photos but I've never had to mess around with the settings to get a good picture. I've been pleased with all the pictures I've taken with my S5. It's never let me down yet.

Posted from my S5
    11-04-2014 03:09 PM
    I don't really take a lot of low light photos but I've never had to mess around with the settings to get a good picture. I've been pleased with all the pictures I've taken with my S5. It's never let me down yet.

Posted from my S5
    In Daylight, the S5 is a great performer, the issues begin to arise in indoor conditions where there is artificial lighting.

11-04-2014 04:32 PM
    In Daylight, the S5 is a great performer, the issues begin to arise in indoor conditions where there is artificial lighting.

I've been able to get good pictures indoors where there is sufficient light. It's never disappointed me.

However we all have different standarda/needs/desires.

Posted from my S5
    11-04-2014 06:03 PM

Posted from my S5
    Truth be known a lot of people including myself agree with you..

There is no best for everybody but many agree the S5 has one of the best camera/phones on the market..

I enlarged a S5 low light image today at work to 20x30. I was asked if it was one of my Nikon shots... My iPhone will do the same but I have to do slight editing to get the correct color rendition on enlargement. The iPhone images tend slightly toward magenta with enlargements above 8x10 but no correction is required with the S5.
    11-04-2014 06:15 PM
    Truth be known a lot of people including myself agree with you..

There is no best for everybody but many agree the S5 has one of the best camera/phones on the market..

I enlarged a S5 low light image today at work to 20x30. I was asked if it was one of my Nikon shots... My iPhone will do the same but I have to do slight editing to get the correct color rendition on enlargement. The iPhone images tend slightly toward magenta with enlargements above 8x10 but no correction is required with the S5.
    Could you upload that image to Flickr or another site that doesn't reduce quality? I would love to see the quality of the shot, I find noise tends to creep in on the shot often leading to unnatural skin tones and blotches on subjects.

11-04-2014 07:08 PM
    The only thing the iPhone 6 camera is better at is the faster shutter response.
    I do love how fast I can take photos with it. Other than that I haven't had the time to compare images with my Samsung's but I only use my phone camera for just snap shots any ways so no biggie.
    11-04-2014 07:22 PM
    Could you upload that image to Flickr or another site that doesn't reduce quality? I would love to see the quality of the shot, I find noise tends to creep in on the shot often leading to unnatural skin tones and blotches on subjects.

I have large image viewing and download blocked for everybody except myself on my Flickr page. I've had too many images stolen..

If you are referring to the image I printed today, there is none of the above plus no person is visible in the image for skin tone checks.

If you know what you are doing, you can pretty much create outstanding images with just about any camera whether it be film or digital and since I have shot film for nearly 50 years as well as digital since the days of 640x480 digital backs for the Nikon F and F2 both professionally and as a hobbiest I have extensive experience in this area.

One area where most low light images fail is the shooter is handholding the camera. You mount the camera on a tripod and use the selftimer to trip the shutter, it makes all the difference in the world.. A cleaner sharper image...

You harp on the ISOCELL used in the S5. Did you know it is partly modeled after the eye of certain nocturnal creatures? That along with Samsung's Backside Illumination as well as isolating each pixel cell prevents bleeding of stray light to other cells.. This in turns reduces noise and color inaccuracy.. Noise comes from bleeding of stray light in any digital camera. Many DSLR's use simular technology therefore the S5 uses DSLR technology to a certain degree..

If you have the S5 why not run some test images yourself to see.. Any camera/phone should be very capable of producing excellent results you just have to know how to use it to your advantage..
    11-04-2014 08:15 PM
    Joke or not, there are more options with the S5 camera app than with the iPhone 5 camera app. Even with those settings, I'm getting better low light shots with my S5 than my iPhone 5. I know the HTC One M8 has that over current smartphones and that was one reason why I considered getting the M8 over my S5. The low light shots looked better but the M8's daylight pictures were a step back and that's what I take the most.

Either way, the S5 is fine for low light shots though not the best. I still don't think Apple has a "stranglehold" on smartphone cameras (I would say that goes to Microsoft). My comments were also mainly towards black_thorne who said that his iPhone 4S took better photos than his S5 in low light conditions when my experience has been the opposite with my S5 and iPhone 5 which has a better camera than the 4S.
    11-05-2014 09:05 AM
    These are all preset modes, a far cry from custom settings.

Your original post was trying to make the point a person doesn't know how to use their phone camera at night. Other than HDR, there isn't a whole lot that is changing the picture quality on the camera phone in low light.
    It doesn't matter how many more options this phone has over others. That isn't the issue. Just because something has more options than another doesn't make it better.
    11-05-2014 09:35 AM
    I think its funny that some people are blinded by their loyalty to their phone that they make banket statements. Like "Im confident the S5 will be better than that product". Your confident? Really? Is your confidence a field tester? How about do some actual comparisons instead of just making statements and thinking, 'theres just no way something might be better than my phone'.

I own the S5, its a great product, but I don't think its the best in all aspects. Its better is some areas compared to other phones, and falls short in others.
    msavic6 likes this.
    11-05-2014 10:37 AM
    Most people don't know how to use their camera so they will claim it's the best. If you know how to exploit it's features it can be the best for you..
    HDR can be adjusted with apps such as Snapseed..

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    11-05-2014 12:53 PM
    I think its funny that some people are blinded by their loyalty to their phone that they make banket statements. Like "Im confident the S5 will be better than that product". Your confident? Really? Is your confidence a field tester? How about do some actual comparisons instead of just making statements and thinking, 'theres just no way something might be better than my phone'.

I own the S5, its a great product, but I don't think its the best in all aspects. Its better is some areas compared to other phones, and falls short in others.
    I based that statement upon photos I have seen taken in good lighting on the iPhone 6 and 6 plus and I compared them to shots I have taken on the S5. I did not say that I think the S5 will have a better camera in all areas, such as low lighting as the evidence I have seen suggests that it wouldn't be. I'm sorry but I have no intention of buying an iPhone 6 /6+. All I can do is read reviews and then formulate my own opinions based on the information that I have. I do not believe that the S5 is the best in all areas. There are obviously categories where other devices are stronger like low light performance and general fluidity and performance.

Posted from my S5
    11-05-2014 10:33 PM
65 123