Why is my GMail/Google profile pic not showing in GMail 5.0?

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am a relative Android noob (1 month of experience).

Even though my GMail display pic is showing up everywhere on my Google desktop apps/webpages, 48 hours later and it has still NOT synced onto my phone. See the screenshot below/attached. The blue icon/avatar, should be where my picture shows up.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or this is normal behavior for everybody? Does anybody get their display pic to show up on this screen?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-07-15-42-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-07-15-42-08.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 85

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine shows up just fine. Try signing out of the GMail app and signing back in. If that doesn't work, then go into your Application Manager and clear Cache for GMail.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Open Settings, go to Accounts, find your Google account, and de-select SYNC GMail. From the GMail app, tapp on the menu button, select your account and you should see a drop down menu. There, select Manage Accounts.

But I think clearing cache might help faster... Clearing data is also something you might want to try, but that means you'll have to re-configure your GMail app when you re-open it (notification sounds, etc.). You do this from Settings, Application Manager, find the GMail app and those options should be there.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I was about to reply and tell you that it's not working, but all-of-a-sudden, when I was switching accounts in the GMail app for the first time today, I noticed that my DP had updated (hooray!)

Granted, I did not try your "Clear Data" recommendation, but one thing different that did happen in the last 24 hours was that I received an email from a contact that had a Google+ DP set of his own. Perhaps this "triggered" the app to force update any DPs on my device.

I'm a happier camper now. Thanks for the tips!

Open Settings, go to Accounts, find your Google account, and de-select SYNC GMail. From the GMail app, tapp on the menu button, select your account and you should see a drop down menu. There, select Manage Accounts.

But I think clearing cache might help faster... Clearing data is also something you might want to try, but that means you'll have to re-configure your GMail app when you re-open it (notification sounds, etc.). You do this from Settings, Application Manager, find the GMail app and those options should be there.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well glad you got it working! :)

That's one of the reasons I kinda dislike the GMail boxes... haha when I don't have a profile picture for my contacts (and with e-mail, that's MOST of them), it makes me cringe to see that empty box with a letter on it. Imagine how I'd feel if it was only a grey box haha

Kgt2131

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone could help. I just got my nexus 6 today (I love it), but for some reason my gmail picture is not showing up under my user account on my phone. When I open the gmail app, my pictureScreenshot_2014-11-21-01-15-01.jpg is there, but not in the notifications quick menu. Thanks for your help :)

vic9999

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue. So I rolled my phone back to an ealier version and my profile photo and my contact photos showed up in my email on my phone again. Then my phone auto updated to 5.0 and now no pictures. Can anyone help? I tried all the above steps, but nothing.....

I have a Galaxy S5

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
So....did anyone come up with an answer? I am using multiple gmail accounts on my Nexus 6....and when I did the back-to-back transfer of my Nexus 5 data, it set the wrong account as the owner. But even removing, and re-adding the accounts still does not show my gmail picture on the profile icon.

rolapinou

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here when installing my refurbished nexus from Google Client Services. Both from a fresh install and through the Tap'N Go procedure ended with the blue icon as in Kgt2131's post. I tried to update my profil picture in Google+ and this update is correctly done in all the Google services I use (Gmail, Photos, Maps, ...) on the webs pages, but not on the corresponding Apps, for the moment (and not on the Google+ picture profile of the "me" contact in the contact list).
If someone knows who to "force" the link between the picture on the Nexus and the Google profil, I'm very interested.

PS : on my disabled Nexus I tried to delete the "Me" contact settings (that displayed an empty picture in the "local" profile, and my Google+ profile) but I can't import the google profile back to link it to the contact entry.

By the way, on my new phone, if I touch the icon of the photo from my Google+ profile on the "Me" contact entry, I have an option "use this photo". I think this should be the way to "push" the Google Account profile picture to the phone but it doesn't work.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
OK, here's a recent discovery I made.

An almost instantaneous way to update your Google account DP is to launch Hangouts, switch to the account in question, go to settings and change your DP from there. If the account needs to upgrade to Google+, it will be done at this time.

This method worked for me on 2 of my Google accounts, which previously had no DP.

Posted via the Android Central App

vic9999

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I did a little testing and found out a few things. 1. When I removed my gmail account on my phone and then added it back in, my profile pic shows up. The bad news. Unless I force a "contact" picture onto my gmail account on my computer, my contact's pictures, don't show up. If someone has their own contact picture from gmail or facebook, or google+, I do not see their photo pic on my phone. But if I add a picture to my contact on my own, then they do. This is an obvious bug, unless I am still doing something wrong. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

texoz

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
To change profile pic in the upper right of notification shade: Swipe down with two fingers. Tap on the profile icon and select your account. Tap "More settings" On the next screen tap on your account and a pop-up will allow you to change your name and photo. However, I STILL am not able to get my profile pic to show up on gmail. :(

Sefton Hanley

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
What I have discovered is.. You dont get the user account picture pulled from google plus, even when the google account is correctly added in settings, until you upen the google plus app one time.

The first time you open it, it then signs in, and asks if you want to keep contacts up to date via the plus system etc etc..

As soon as plus signs in once, the avatar appears and remains active. IMO android should pull the avatar based on simply the user account data, not needing the plus sign in also, its confusing and not everyone uses plus even while they use android.

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you had the pictures on the previous version of gmail its a update bug. All you do is:
Go to Settings
Go to Applications
Go to Application Manager
Go to Gmail and Uninstall Updates
restart your phone and then go to the Play Store and update to the latest version of Gmail. Give it a while to sync and it should work

mizzzjulie

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I found a simple solution to the "no updated profile pic" in Gmail issue.

First, go to your Gmail app and choose "manage accounts" from the drop-down menu. Then select the offending account & in "sync settings", make sure "sync people details" is checked. This updated my profile pic immediately. I hope it works for everyone else! :D

ETA: the Google+ sign-in/updating thing did not work for me. I tried everything else except for clearing my cache before I checked what else was syncing.

Luciano_Android

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

First, go to your Gmail app and choose "manage accounts" from the drop-down menu. Then select the offending account & in "sync settings", make sure "sync people details" is checked. This updated my profile pic immediately. I hope it works for everyone else! :D

ETA: the Google+ sign-in/updating thing did not work for me. I tried everything else except for clearing my cache before I checked what else was syncing.

Awesome! After searching and serching all over internet with no luck, this is the one thing that worked for me. And really is THE solution for the problem, I think. Anyway, thanks for the help! ; )

rolapinou

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi !
Could you provide a few screenshots to explicit the settings you're talking about ?
Thanks.

Indeed, I do know how I can not link my local profile (the "Me" contact at the very top of the contact list) with my Google+ account on my Nexus 7, just like it is in my Nexus 5.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

That worked for one of my accounts but will not work on the other two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463