Hi Guys,

Are you also bothered on how the S5 performs in lowlight conditions? It seems it doesn't do the job better. It feels I'm satisfied with my S3's lowlight capability instead of S5. Any tricks to consider?
    Attached Thumbnails Lowlight on S5-1415412764747.jpg  
    11-07-2014 07:55 PM
    The S5 camera just can't handle low light. Does fine in bright light, but can't get a great image in low light.
    11-07-2014 08:01 PM
    The S5 camera just can't handle low light. Does fine in bright light, but can't get a great image in low light.
    How sad is that? Do you think Note 4 does it better? Might want to get it on Christmas.
    11-07-2014 09:21 PM
    How sad is that? Do you think Note 4 does it better? Might want to get it on Christmas.
    I was just reading that the note 4 does well in low light situations. Go to the note 4 forum

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-07-2014 09:22 PM
    I was also dissapointed by the S5 camera after buying it.

I can't speak for the note, as I have no experience with it.
    11-07-2014 09:27 PM
    If you are referring to the image you posted in a different thread I would have to say your camera needs to be looked at. I took a simular shot in my kitchen under low light and got much sharper focused images than yours handheld..

I also went outside my front door and shot an apt facade with both the 5S and S5. While both cameras performed with acceptable low light results I was struck with something I had not taken into consideration.. Which camera records an image more like what the naked eye would see?? In this case it was the S5.. The 5S underexposes in order to bring out more detail in the lowest lit areas and tends to blow out highlights which in turn introduces more noise which is not how the eye would see the same scene. The S5 recorded these areas with just a hint of detail just like my eyes saw it and it muted the highlights..

For me this is a very important factor because it renders a more realistic view of the scene..

One other thing people need to take into consideration is that even highend DSLR's struggle with lowlight high ISO imaging (even my Nikon D700, D800, and D4 struggle with it) so instead of arguing which camera performs better under lowlight which few people shoot why not discuss the merits of what their camera is capable of under real world shooting.. I suspect most camera/phones will do excellent results if used properly..
    11-07-2014 09:49 PM
    If you are referring to the image you posted in a different thread I would have to say your camera needs to be looked at. I took a simular shot in my kitchen under low light and got much sharper focused images than yours handheld..

I also went outside my front door and shot an apt facade with both the 5S and S5. While both cameras performed with acceptable low light results I was struck with something I had not taken into consideration.. Which camera records an image more like what the naked eye would see?? In this case it was the S5.. The 5S underexposes in order to bring out more detail in the lowest lit areas and tends to blow out highlights which in turn introduces more noise which is not how the eye would see the same scene. The S5 recorded these areas with just a hint of detail just like my eyes saw it and it muted the highlights..

For me this is a very important factor because it renders a more realistic view of the scene..

One other thing people need to take into consideration is that even highend DSLR's struggle with lowlight high ISO imaging (even my Nikon D700, D800, and D4 struggle with it) so instead of arguing which camera performs better under lowlight which few people shoot why not discuss the merits of what their camera is capable of under real world shooting.. I suspect most camera/phones will do excellent results if used properly..
    I don't think anyone is comparing photos in this thread, just making obvious observations.
    11-07-2014 09:52 PM
    Don't really take low light pics and I'm more than happy with the performance in good lighting. However there is something in what you say op. My original galaxy note took better low light pictures than my S5 does. It seems that there is a trade off with the newer models, great outdoor photos and not so good low light photos. Whereas as the older models just took average shots across the board.

Posted from my S5
    11-08-2014 02:21 AM
    Expectations are different for all of us, but I have been personally quite impressed with the phone's low light capabilities.

I constantly am using the phone to "see around" corners and nooks and crannies where I can't get my body into.
    Under the dash of my pickup truck to read serial numbers, etc...

Maybe I just got lucky, but the camera on my phone is actually quite good.
    low-light does make it hard to hold it steady long enough for the focus to get sharp, but for me, it is doing okay.
    11-08-2014 05:12 AM

Your statement does make sense but honestly, I'm not in the impression of arguing phones vs phones in lowlight conditions. Sounds a little bit comparison, I think. Or it was just a mere observation on how the camera performs in lowlight. I don't have anything to criticize with how well the S5 camera performs in well lit conditions.

Great to have some peers who can obviously discuss tricks to remedy the issue with lowlight.

However, in my own opinion, since S5's the latest flagship, take away the Note 4, the lowlight performance could have been focused on as well. Offer my 2 cents.

Any other tricks you can share on how do you guys take lowlight pictures in an awesome way?
    11-08-2014 06:08 PM
    No digital camera whether it be a camera/phone or DSLR handles low light very well. It meters and sets exposure accordingly whereas since film allows for reciprocity failure compensation film will always handle low light better.. You have to accept what your camera is capable of. Some can handle it better while others fall short.

In order to get a decent image with digital you will need to do a lot of editing
    11-08-2014 08:02 PM