USB file transfer to Windows - Verizon S5

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Verizon Wireless S5 running Android 4.4.4. I want to transfer photos and other files to my PC (running Win 7). I installed the USB driver on my PC and connected a USB cable, but the phone would not come up on my PC in Windows Explorer. Then I tried installing Kies on the PC; same problem. When I plug the USB cable in, I get the "doo-dee" noise on the phone and the battery charging symbol appears, but I don't get the audio signal on my PC indicating a new USB device.

I think the problem is that there is no way to turn on MTP mode on the phone. I've seen various posts to this forum saying that you have to enable MTP mode by pulling down the notification bar and selecting it, but I don't see that among the notifications. I used to be able to do all this with my Galaxy S3. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Does this version of Android not support MTP? The version of Kies that I installed (3.2.14083.17) is supposed to support Android 4.3 and later.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- bill.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There might be a problem with the USB cable or the phone's USB port. Try using a different cable.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
1st, make sure you have the latest version of Kies 3.0 and I would highly suggest that you use the USB 3.0 cable that came with the phone, my phone will not work with the old USB 2.0 cables.

If that does not do the trick, then goto Win7's Control Panel and remove the USB drivers for the phone.

Restart the Win7 pc and install the Samsung USB drivers.

I am also using a Win7 pc and I had to do the above to make it work.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon using KK 4.4.4. I plug a usb2 cable from my Win 7 machine to my S5. Drivers install. In a few seconds "Computer" opens to show all the drives. I have to scroll down to see "Portable Devices". Double click on you phone's name and you'll see Phone and Card.
Hope that helps.

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - yes, it turned out to be a combination of the cable and the port on the PC. Once I found the original cable that shipped with the phone and the USB 3.0 port on the laptop (as opposed to the USB 2.0 port), it worked with no problem.

I guess the requirement for using USB 3.0 is new since the Galaxy S3, with which I could use any USB cable and any USB port.

So much for the "universal" in USB ...

- bill.

jtjcart

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It took me two years to get to a very simple answer. This is an old post, but I am slow in getting to answers.
My awakening happened today when I got a very patient Sarah from Samsung on the phone. Here are the two methods I can use to get those photos transferred from the S5 Galaxy to the computer.

Option 1

Plug in your phone using the USB Port. Then, place your finger on the top of the phone screen and pull down the information that shows you the icons for volume, brightness, airplane mode, etc. Keep going down until you find a line that reads USB Charging Option. Tab that. Then select either file transfer or photo transfer. Now if the message box that told you on your computer that there is no data there, hit the TRY AGAIN TAB. You got it. They will now transfer. You have to do this every time you want to transfer as the little file transfer button will not stay on. It is a security protection.

Option 2

Go to This Pc, Select the Galaxy Phone, Select Phone, Select DCIM, Select Camera. Once all the images have transferred do a hold A to select all the images. Then right click on your mouse and select copy. Then create a folder wherever you want. Right click on the folder and hit paste.

There you have it two methods to transfer from your Galaxy S5 to Windows 10.

Again, a wonderful THANK YOU SHOUT OUT TO Sarah in the Colorado Springs Samsung call center for helping me with this issue. I hope if anyone is still struggling with this issue that this helps you. Sometimes it does take a village!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz