WiFi keeps turning itself on and off, constantly.

Yiannisc

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE: Removing Google Home did not resolve the issue.

I had the same issue. I removed Google Home and it seems that it has been resolved.

Last edited:

Chris Fong

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
i have had exactly the same problem for a day or two. while disabling "location>improve accuracy>wifi scanning" stops the bug temporarily it doesn't really solve the problem. wifi scanning is an important location feature when navigating. in narrow streets or in buildings one usually does not have gps reception, also the wifi scanning technique for determining the devices location is usually faster and uses less battery than gps (how ironic).

this bug is extremely annoying. i am on an unbranded, unrooted s5 on 6.0.1 (g900f). i can not believe that this also happens with s7 and pixel phones, this is really ridiculous. if anyone finds a permanent solution for this problem, please tell us!!!

:( :'( :-

This worked for me. I wonder how it happened?

Kay Drayton

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Try clearing the cache on any apps that send files or photos, I have this problem I'm using textra & it seems to be an issue after I've sent a photo. I think there is some kind of network hangup going on because all of the solutions people are suggesting tend to reset or clear the mobile network settings. So try clearing you cache for apps like text, FB, Twitter, Snapchat or anything else you might use to send files over your mobile network. see if that works. I would suggest clearing the cache of each app one at a time then try turning on your wifi after each one so you can locate which one is causing the hangup.

Goodluck! ;)

a generic person

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
S6 user (Verizon) checking in, I've got the random wifi on and off too. Disabling wifi scanning did help, but uninstalling Google home didn't help at all. I'm just hoping we get a fix for this. Maybe if enough people end up in this thread....

Stank0

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Note 5 here. For me it was Bitmoji app I installed a few days ago. First force stopped it and wifi immediately turned on and stayed on. Promptly uninstalled, problem solved.

Yiannisc

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
OK people, attempt number 2:

Go to Location | Improve accuracy.

If Wi-Fi scanning is on, turn it off. Apparently in the small text below it it says: "Improve location accuracy by allowing apps and services to scan for Wi-Fi networks automatically, even while Wi-Fi is turned off"!

It seems to me that some app or service has gone mad and scans every 5 secs or so.

Hope ti solves it.

Daoud333

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

Same issue since some days with my Note 4 ( EU model N910F)

Disabled "Wi-Fi scanning" in location / improve accuracy and the issue gone but it's not a solution.

Chris 78

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
That really isn't a problem because high accuracy still scans for WiFi networks when WiFi is turned on, this option just disables it when WiFi is turned off.

snorth87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issue this morning. After looking at this thread I turned off the wifi location accuracy to temporarily stop the wifi on/off insanity. Then I went into settings/storage/internal storage/cached data and deleted all app cache. After that I was able to go back into the location settings and re-enable the wifi location accuracy, and the wifi continued to work and stay on normally.

Maybe just deleting all the app cache will fix the issue without having to touch the location accuracy settings. If not, the above sequence worked for me. Hope it works for anyone else stuck in this wifi toggling madness.

Daoud333

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Even with internal storage cache deleted, the issue is still here for me.

The issue is not here when wifi is enabled but only if wifi disabled with wifi location accuracy activated.

chipinmyhead

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this same issue on my note 4, VZW. I've tried nearly all of the above, including deleting google home, to no avail. I had the issue over the weekend on my personal S7 Edge, and fixed it by resetting the data settings (not a factory reset). This fix does not seem to solve the issue on the Note 4. Thanks.

Erns Pen

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
same problem here. Issue started out of the blue without installing or updating any app whatsoever (I have automatic app update disabled). Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1. Only solution to the constant "wifi scanning for high accuracy" thing is to disable it in location ==> improve accuracy ==> turn off "Wi-Fi scanning". I've tried uninstalling Google Home but nothing. Anyone has any idea which app could be causing this crazy bug?

Erns Pen

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, here's what solved it for me (I have a galaxy s5 by the way).

1. Go settings ==> connections ==> Location (turn on location if it isn't already, of course) ===> "Improve accuracy" and turn on "Wi-Fi scanning" to initiate the bug process.
  2. Then go back to Location, and, in the list of apps under "Recent location requests", tap one and go to "Permissions" and disable the "Location" permission for each one, one a time (IMPORTANT).
  3. If after disabling the location permission of one of the apps it doesn't fix the problem (check the wifi connection behavior), move on to disable location permission for the next app on the list ("Recent location requests"). Eventually, after disabling the location permission of the glitchy app, the bug will stop

For me it was the T-Mobile app so I simply left it with permission disabled. I kind of had a feeling that Android would not let any of their apps or other big Play Store apps get away with this kind of huge glitch. I honestly wish I could uninstall T-Mobile app since I never use it and it kind of sucks but ah well, don't wanna root my phone for now.

Anyways, hope this helps.

nrobins

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
For me, I couldn't turn WiFi on, it just did a cycle off/on/off... every couple of seconds. I fixed this on my Verizon Note 4 by going to settings:WiFi and dragging the on off switch to the right and keeping my finger there long enough to allow connection to my home wifi network. At least I got off my data plan...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power