What is a good Non OEM Battery for the S5?

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Non OEM Battery for S5

I will soon be upgrading to a Verizon S5. I noticed on eBay that there are replacement batteries with capacities between 3800 to 4300 which state they fit in the existing S5 cover. It sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with these higher capacity batteries?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Non OEM Battery for S5

that fit "within" the existing cover?

That is feat that the physicists would like to know about...

More capacity requires a vastly greater technology, or a fatter package.

Personally, I doubt that you will require any extra battery power.

If you are a interactive online gamer, then yes, you will need more umph.

but as a regular phone and normal internet surfing? No....

I get 2 and 3 days between charges.

Attachments

• 15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 81

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I have also seen that the battery should be no problem. I have a S3 now and most days I make it through 14 or 15 hours. So I expect that the S5 should theoretically be about 50% better based on higher capacity and new battery saving features but I will probably buy extra batteries for my wife and I because when we go into weak reception area (my son lives in Northern VA and has terrible reception) the battery of the S3 can drain to almost zero in a few hours.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

when we go into weak reception area (my son lives in Northern VA and has terrible reception) the battery of the S3 can drain to almost zero in a few hours.

Yes, I live in a rural area also 30 miles north of Tulsa, OK.

very hilly and the nearest Verizon cell site is 18 miles away. Lots of roaming sites to bounce off of, but the Verizon site is just strong enough to keep the phone locked into that site. Left to its' own devices, the phone would run the battery down in about ~18 hours which isn't really all that bad. Just not as good as what I want.

So, I installed MacroDroid and use it to turn the internet OFF when the screen is locked.
Likewise, MD senses when the screen is unlocked and will turn the internet back on.

doing it "my way" gives me 2 to 3 days per charge even in weak signal areas.

Attachments

• 15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 58

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I am not familiar with MD but I just installed it and will play with it. I currently use Battery Doctor to save battery life but will try your suggestion

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

that fit "within" the existing cover?

That is feat that the physicists would like to know about...

More capacity requires a vastly greater technology, or a fatter package.

Personally, I doubt that you will require any extra battery power.

If you are a interactive online gamer, then yes, you will need more umph.

but as a regular phone and normal internet surfing? No....

I get 2 and 3 days between charges.

can macrodroid be used without root? can you do some screen shots of the screen on/off Internet macro setup? very interested in getting more than 8 hours out of my battery!

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I tried macrodroid yesterday and it has a setting which will turn off any features which are not accessible if you are not rooted. It also has a limited and pro version and it appears to me that the limited version is very limited. Truthfully, I gave up on it since it looked more complicated than I wanted and the battery manager that I am currently using (battery doctor) sees to do a pretty good job,

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

neil154

user-offline.png

I tried macrodroid yesterday and it has a setting which will turn off any features which are not accessible if you are not rooted. It also has a limited and pro version and it appears to me that the limited version is very limited. Truthfully, I gave up on it since it looked more complicated than I wanted and the battery manager that I am currently using (battery doctor) sees to do a pretty good job,

The free version will allow you to have 5 macros, each of which will only allow one function.

that is to allow you to get used to how MacroDroid can function, and let you see that it does work, and very well.

for the small price they are asking for the premium MD, it is well worth it IMO. I also use Battery Doctor because I really like their Widget that lets me see all of the phone's functions in on screen. WiFi, Data, Bluetooth, Sync, Rotation, ...... etc. Yes, you can see all of that from the Notification pull down, but it is just not has handy.

can macrodroid be used without root? can you do some screen shots of the screen on/off Internet macro setup? very interested in getting more than 8 hours out of my battery!

Yes it can, and my S5 is NOT rooted, plain vanilla from Verizon with the 4.4.4 software of course.

Screenshots? Okay, will see what I can do

First of course, you must hit the '+' button to start the macro create process. This brings up "Select Trigger"
You will want to scroll down until you see "Screen On/Off", click on that.

A new screen comes up that is labeled "Add Actions".
Now Scroll down to "WiFi On/Off" and click on that.
That brings up a new window and "Select Options"
Select "Disable WiFi" and press "OK"

Assuming you are using the FREE version, this is as far as you can go for this particular macro.
So, you must now click on the Right Arrow at the top of the screen.

That brings up "Add Constraints" and for what we are doing, we will skip that option, click on the Right Arrow.
Touch the Kybd entry line to create a label name and enter "WiFi OFF" and click "OK"

The screen will clear and go back to the Main Menu Screen showing "List Macros" and "Add Macros", etc...

Touch List Macros and you should now see one macro named "WiFi OFF"

Just to prove to your self that it is working, pull down Notifications and verify that the WiFi is ON.
Toggle the Power Button to lock the screen. Now Unlock the screen, pull down the Notification panel again and note that the WiFi is now OFF.

To create the other macros, go thru the same exact process, just choose a different Action for #2 macro and name it Data OFF.

If you need more help, I can list them all, here is my punch list for mine.

Here is a short list of the main macros important to me:
T = Trigger
A = Action
C = Contstraints

Labeled Internet Off:
T: Screen Off
A: Data off, disable Wifi
C: None

Labeled Internet On:
T: Screen Unlocked
A: Data On, enable Wifi
C: None

MacroDroid has a huge library of transition sensors, and controls. You just have to play with it. Once you do, you will come to depend on it a lot.

Screenshots to follow:

Attachments

• MacroDroid Menu.jpg
    MacroDroid Menu.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 42
  • MacroDroid Select Trigger.jpg
    MacroDroid Select Trigger.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 42
  • MacroDroid Add Actions.jpg
    MacroDroid Add Actions.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 42
  • MacroDroid Disable WiFi.jpg
    MacroDroid Disable WiFi.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 41
  • MacroDroid Name the Macro.jpg
    MacroDroid Name the Macro.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 40

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

The free version will allow you to have 5 macros, each of which will only allow one function......

These are the macros I've set up so far. I have the paid version. What I failed to realise at first though, is that I won't get notifications in real time though... texts, Facebook, etc. So far, I haven't seen much battery difference.

One question I have though, wouldn't it use more battery to constantly turn the radios on and off each time you lock/unlock your phone? Just curious.

Attachments

• 1415899287545.jpg
    1415899287545.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

How do you get 22 hrs of life? Well what's your actual screen on time? I usually get about 10-13 hours and I have my screen on for about 4 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

These are the macros I've set up so far. I have the paid version. What I failed to realise at first though, is that I won't get notifications in real time though... texts, Facebook, etc. So far, I haven't seen much battery difference.

One question I have though, wouldn't it use more battery to constantly turn the radios on and off each time you lock/unlock your phone? Just curious.

Turning the internet off will greatly increase your battery life, IF you don't have the phone in use all the time.

If you are like one of my co-workers, no battery app, or trick macro will help him. He never, ever, turns the damn thing off. He plays games with it while driving..... now that is just plain stupid, hopefully he won't kill some one else, just himself.

Screen "On Time" is a huge determining factor in battery life.

I just now checked my phone, it has 81% battery, and 12 hrs, 5 min since charge.
The screen "on time" is 1 hr, 16 minutes. I just got home from work which is driving a truck. I use the phone at lunch time, and a lot of telco calls to coordinate driving activities, and using the GPS to locate damaged roadways and report them to the boss.

When I'm thru with the phone MacroDroid obediently turns off the internet every time the screen goes black. That is how the battery life is extended.

Now, Real Time Notifications.......... I don't want them, except for SMS messages and those come thru just fine w/o the internet being ON.

Facebook and Twitter will be there when I turn the phone on IF they are needed, which is rarely.
I Purposely have those two apps disabled unless I am using them. One of the groups I have is a local resale group ala Craigslist type thing. In fact, around here, Craigslist is just about useless..... seems all of the cowboys and farmers use Facebook in my very rural area.

If Facebook were active, it would be dinging me with alerts every 2 or 3 minutes........... no thank you. The resale group has over 15,000 members and some of them must be making a living solely thru that resale list.

No it does not. When the radios are OFF, they are not using any power at all. When they are turned ON, the use the same amount of power that they always do. However, there is a little bit of CPU activity while the Data is accessing the ISP cellsite. Likewise if you are in range of a WiFi that you are logged into. But, that takes almost 2 seconds and definitely does not

If you insist on Real Time notifications, you cannot turn the radios off, and therefore, you will have to sacrifice the easiest way there is to extend the battery life.

Now, you could have MacroDroid "count time" and turn on the internet for a couple of minutes every "so often" and allow the notifications to come in... and then turn the internet back off..... say once an hour?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

How do you get 22 hrs of life? Well what's your actual screen on time? I usually get about 10-13 hours and I have my screen on for about 4 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

I have several screenshots of battery life, use MacroDroid to turn off the internet when the phone is not being used.

see below. take note, they are 15 hrs, 22 hrs, and almost 3 days on the last one.

Oh, the very first one says "charging". That was because I had to plug in the USB cable to get the screenshot over to the PC. It was charging for almost 50 seconds... see the little tiny "up tick" indicating the charge at the very end of the discharge graph?

Attachments

• 15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 24

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Notes:

1) Constantly running the battery way down just to get as much out of a charge as you can means frequent battery replacements. A battery always discharged to almost zero might last a year. A battery never discharged below 40%, and always reconditioned if left sitting for a few months, can last years. (This becomes especially important in phones that don't have user-replaceable batteries, since you're paying $100 to replace a $10 battery.) If you need more time than discharging to 40% will give you, carry a spare battery and swap them or carry one of those external batteries and plug it in when the internal one gets down to 40%. (I've never used one, but I hear good things about ZeroLemon's products.)

2) I've used Hyperion and Anker batteries and never noticed anything wrong with time between charge or lifetime (and I've run extensive tests on them before I risked buying a second one of each). Some of the cheaper aftermarket batteries are probably either very old or very bad - neither one is a good thing. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

3) You can get a slightly larger cell into the same size package, so a phone that comes with a 2600mAh battery might have a 3000mAh battery (or even a 3200mAh battery) that fits in the same space. There's wall thickness, unused internal space - a lot of ways to squeeze out another couple of cubic millimeters.

4) @troshs: OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer", so a Samsung phone with a Samsung battery using a Samsung charger is all OEM. The opposite of OEM is aftermarket - and that's not always the same as "bad". It can be. You can buy 4 tires for $100 - but they're not top-of-the-line Michelin, they're made by someone you never heard of. You can buy a $5 battery for an S5, but that's like 4 tires for $100 (or someone laundering money).

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

Now, you could have MacroDroid "count time" and turn on the internet for a couple of minutes every "so often" and allow the notifications to come in... and then turn the internet back off..... say once an hour?

What option would I choose to make that macro? I really only care about the texts, Facebook and other notifications can wait until I feel like checking them. Thanks in advance! (=

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

This is after 24 hours of using Macrodroid.

Attachments

• 1416010635944.jpg
    1416010635944.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1416010647934.jpg
    1416010647934.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol