Music Player apps work fine, and the loses sound?

Rscott1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if someone could help me?

I have a problem with music player apps on my Galaxy S5.

Songs play but then at any random time, 2mins, 10mins, usually within 30mins the sound cuts out, the player shows the song as still playing, player is "functional" but no sound.

If l unplug the earphones, and then plug the earphones back in, the sound comes back.

The stock Samsung player works with no such issues, the only problem is the stock players sound quality is very poor.
Does anybody know a fix?
Please help.

UPDATE:poweramp and N7 Player both have this issue, however l have now found that Double Twist and Rocket Player do NOT have this problem,

so l have decided to go with Rocket Player, who knows maybe Lollipop with miraculously fix the issue *shrug*

KitKat 4.4.4

Last edited:

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have this issue with Poweramp but not really with the Google Play Music app (which can play music stored on your phone/SD card). The Google Play Music app will dropout for me from time to time when playing audio over Bluetooth, usually just once a day if that. I find the best thing is to stop all music programs (not just "close" them), clear all app cache, turn off your phone, boot to recovery mode (hold the power button, home button, and volume up button at the same time until the phone vibrates), clear out the recovery cache, boot the phone back up, and try playing music again.

I haven't had any issues with the Google Play Music app (of which I will just refer to as Google Music) when using a wired headphone connection, only through Bluetooth wireless. Poweramp does it to me no matter what I'm playing music through and the awful Samsung app only drops out on me through Bluetooth (while draining my phone's battery because the app sucks and is a resource hog). I normally follow that procedure I listed above and Google Music will be fine (over Bluetooth) for a few weeks, then I'll need to do it again.

Rscott1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, i just tried google play and it's ok, not as good as Poweramp, still a step down imo :/

i have now cleared the cache as you advised - retrying Poweramp now, not holding my breath tho.. *sigh*
Surely there must be a fix??
For this issue to exist on all 3rd party music player apps can't be acceptable.

Rscott1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Update : when I have the handset plugged in and charging Poweramp works perfectly, when the handset is unplugged from the charger the problem returns....

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like it might be an issue when the phone is not plugged it. The CPU in the SoC clocks down to a slower speed so that the battery isn't used up in an hour. It looks like Poweramp doesn't like this down clocking and wants the CPU to operate at a faster speed.

I have reported the issue to Poweramp before but they haven't issued a fix. I didn't see the problem until Android 4.4.4. came out as my S5 (4.4.3) was fine before that with Poweramp (minus the Bluetooth audio dropouts). Have you increased both thread priority and buffer settings to their maximum values in Poweramp? I tried that before and it didn't fix anything. You can try posting on Poweramp's Google+ page (the only way I've been able to contact them) but they haven't answered my post regarding this issue. Other people have posted something similar and the Poweramp developers always responded with the same thing: increase thread priority, increase buffer settings, reset cache, etc.

Rscott1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Yh I emailed them they said increase thread/buffer etc... which I already did.
I think you are right about the cpu clocking down causing the issue.
So for now I am following your advice and using Google music.
Hopefully lollipop will miraculously fix it *shrug *
Thanks for your advice :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech