What are some good cases for the S5?

squirple

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Please help! I just got my S5 & I need case advice.

Hiya! I am new to all this awesome Androidiness & need help picking a case for my Samsung Galaxy S5.
I was leaning toward an Otterbox or Lifeproof (also owned by Otterbox) case, but am very open to suggestions. I have free options, but am not yet allowed to post links here, because I'm too new.
The options are Ballistic, Incipio, Defender, Commuter (with & without wallets), Puregear, Melkco, Samsung (with & without wireless charger), Lifeproof, iLuv & Griffin.
Please let me know what you think.

I look forward to my new Androidy life & spending time here.
Many many thanksnesses!
=)

Last edited:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please help! I just got my S5 & I need case advice.

The case that I have is bodyglove shocksuit. I love it. Imo it's just as good as the Otterbox commuter case.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I chose the Speck CandyShell Grip case because it is military grade shock resistant, and has thick rubbery grip ridges to prevent it from slipping out of your hands even if wet with diesel fuel or tranny fluid. Yep, that is part of my work-a-day world....

The grip case only comes in black/grey.

there are beautiful version of this case, some with flowers on them, but they don't have the grip ridges.

* Speck CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate:

NancyinWI

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I really like my Otterbox Symmetry. It doesn't add much bulk to the phone yet covers it well. I did not use the screen protector that came with it. I purchased a tempered glass one that was suggested by the customer service rep at AT&T. I could have gotten it cheaper online, but he put it on for me. I have shaky hands and it was worth the extra couple bucks for him to do it.

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
My kid lifeproof in s5 drop it so many times, now lot of chips in plastic side and finger scanner suck.

Android Central App Strong Note 4

Tjk230

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I have the spigen slim armour. Offers in my opinion protection equivalent to an otterbox commuter, but not nearly the same bulk. I had an otterbox commuter on my galaxy s3 and I enjoy the spigen slim armor on my s5 even more.

Posted via the Android Central App

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Love my Verus Iron Shield case. You can find it on Amazon.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Cases are a pretty personal thing - some people just get an Otterbox Defender because that's what the salesperson says to get, or because their job or active lifestyle needs that kind of protection Some people just get a decal-style skin such as dBrand or Slickwraps for a slightly different look, and scratch protection. People like myself fall somewhere in the middle - Personally I mostly rock a cheap TPU slim-fitting case (usually can find them for $5 or less on eBay) but like to have something like a CaseMate Tough or OtterBox Commuter for the times when I might need a little more drop/impact protection.

It's tough to give a specific recommendation - do you do a lot of active sports, have butterfingers/clutzy, or work in a job where you need a tough case? Go with a heavy duty case (Defender or LifeProof). Work in an office, baby your phone, and don't need much protection? a decal-style skin, or maybe a thin TPU case is fine. Somewhere in the middle?

By the way, just in case you're not familiar with the term TPU is not a brand name, its just an acronym for ThermoPolyUrithane. Its a thin material, think rubber/silicone/plastic all mashed together. Not as hard as plastic, it's harder then silicone, and it's got a bit of stretch (not much but a bit). Provides a bit of bump or impact protection, but not a lot.

aqwesd

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

I recently picked up a mophie juice pack. With my usage of it being a work phone, I will run out of battery before the end of the day. It has saved me more than once. increases the size of the phone but it's worth it to me.

peteramollica

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Otterbox Defender works best for me. Really protects the entire phone. A word of caution, clean the screen protector carefully because it can be scratched. Always use cleaners without aemonia or alcohol for best results. NEVER wipe the screen without some moisture on it first. You're just asking for scratches that way.

3moosey3

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

The Poetic Revolution or Gearlt are exellent cases with built-in screen protector. Both cases seem to be identical but the GearlT comes in white & grey for the Samsung s5.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Hiya! I am new to all this awesome Androidiness & need help picking a case for my Samsung Galaxy S5.
=)

Welcome to the forum squirple. I'm not sure why it's overlooked by so many but Samsung sells [or did sell] a nice soft shell case for the GS5 for 19.00 which is a pretty good price. It does add decent protection for all that it covers, feels good in the hands and maybe because it is made by Samsung it provides what I think is the best access to the charging port and good button control on both sides.

edit: From time to time I drop mine into my Samsung flip case which is [more expensive] but also nice to use on more formal occasions. So I could easily recommend either of those.

jsbcarman

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Spigen slim armor is a nice one, not bulky, haven't broken mine yet. Lol

Tactical Squirrel

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

Are there any snap on thin cases that cover the silver trim along the sides? Every case I've looked at, all expose the silver to an extent.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Are there any snap on thin cases that cover the silver trim along the sides? Every case I've looked at, all expose the silver to an extent.

I have the Ringke Slim case.

Best thin snap on case out there. It shows a very thin edging of the silver bezel, but it's an even amount exposed and looks tidy.

Thing I like about this case is that it has protection to the top and bottom of the phone - not many snap on cases out there offer that.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek