Can I disable the Long-press on the Home Button?

pninja1

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Finally fixed it! Open the play store -> search and select the Google app -> select "uninstall". This doesn't actually uninstall the app, just the updates. Been a week without a restart and still working normal.

Timothy Swann

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Long-pressing the Home Button

On the Galaxy S5, whenever you long-press the Home button, it brings up what appears to be a Google search page or something. Apparently I’m really bad at pressing buttons quickly (either that or the button is malfunctioning) because I keep accidentally bringing up this damn Google search page instead of the home screen. Needless to say, this feature is driving me absolutely insane.

Is there any possible way to disable the long-press or even just change what it does??? I’ve searched through the phone’s settings and all over the internet and haven’t found anything useful yet.

Found a permanent fix. Spoke with a Samsung rep. Turn your device off. From there, turn it on using the recovery option (bootloader.) Navigate down using the volume button to the line that reads "wipe cache partition" and select that with the power button. After that is done, navigate to the line that reads "reboot system now." Select with power button. Once the system reboots, you should no longer have an issue with the home key.

DaarkOne

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
This procedure to Force stop, disable and uninstall worked for my S5 with current software to date. Now if I hold the home key down I feel a haptic feedback but nothing happens.

Thanks

lexee

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Download SwipeLaunch Disabler app from Google Play. Once you install it, it will become one of the options when you long-press Home. So next time, choose it as the option, press Always. Congratulations, you are done. The app will be invoked when you long-press Home, but it's designed to just do nothing, so it gives you the behavior you want.

Allonia Day

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this, it was driving me nuts and this did the trick. I can still open Google if I want to do a search and have voice texting, but on MY terms and not when the *&^% phone wants to! This is a sanity saver for sure...

Rimiko

May 30, 2015
Visit site

There is no engage "advanced mode" under settings>about phone. How else do you do this to get to buttons>pick action for long press? Do you need a third party app for this? I'm using an S7. There isn't even a settings>buttons option in the settings. I've looked in about phone and in advanced settings, and can't find button options for the long press anywhere.

Anil jangu

May 20, 2016
Visit site

I found solution. Go to application manager then go to Google search in (all) column. Now open it and turn it off. Now you will never face this again.

Rimiko

May 30, 2015
Visit site

This unfortunately doesn't work either. There is no google search listed under all apps. There are no columns. Also, even if this did work it still does not let me choose what I want the button to do.

Lord Xantosh

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

I know what you mean, it's so annoying but I found the solution.
go to settings, application manager, scroll to the right where it says "all" and look for "google app", press it and press "turn off"
hit "ok" and then "uninstall" once you do that long-press home button and select "always" on the option of "do nothing"

I hope that I didn't confuse yourself.
peace :)

THANKYOU very much, this worked on my original Note Edge (SM-N915G running 6.0.1) got sick of all the extra stuff bogging down the pitiful amount of ram my phone has (compared to new phones, and it doesn't go bzzzzzzzzzzzt too)

MacDaddyDaddyMac

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site

It actually does work on note 4.worked on mine. Problem is you no longer have access to the Google mic at the top or on the keyboard. You have to type every thing in. I'm big on speaking my searches. So this is no good for me. I still need a solution to keep my 10 year old from using my data excessively. Got every online app locked. Can't stop long press to google.

Steve Ormerod jr

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Guys the way to fix this is go to settings>applications>default apllications>device assistance click on it and turn it off then bam its gone

Device assistance app will be set to google set it as none

Last edited by a moderator:

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Guys the way to fix this is go to settings>applications>default apllications>device assistance click on it and turn it off then bam its gone

Device assistance app will be set to google set it as none

This worked to get rid of it on my Note 4 but I did like having quick access to just plain Google Search by using the long press home. Guess I'll now have to put a widget on one of my home screens. :( Google in their infinite "wisdom" thinks they know how everyone wants their phone to work.

The Gos

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if still relevant

On the galaxy s8 go to settings then advanced features then device assistant app then click on device assistant app and choose none

Now when i hold home button nothing happens so hope it helps

anon(10575786)

Jan 28, 2019
Visit site
After many hours searching for solution, I restarted my phone and the problem seemed to go away. From what I've been reading, this happens when you have a lot of apps running and will eventually come back if you have apps sucking up ram on your phone. Short press gets interpreted as a long press or something.

Pninja, you are an absolute saint. Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci