Why won't my microSD card work in my Samsung Galaxy S5?

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
So I bought a Galaxy S5, and with the 128GB microSD card capacity it boasts I decided to get a 64GB card to put my music (and maybe some other media) on it. It was a generic card, but it had great reviews so I jumped on it. I start it off as usual, shutting down my phone, popping in the card, booting back up and formatting the new card. Off to the races, right? Not quite. I connect it to my computer, create a music folder on it and begin transferring my music. Well the transfers kept stopping halfway and timing out, I assumed it was because I was trying to transfer too much in one go so I did transfers little by little. I go on and search for the files, not only are very few of the folders there but most of the files are gone too. Same for any other media I tried. I tried one other thing by transferring files to internal phone memory then to the card via the phone file browser, and seeing if my less-important apps would move to card. Those files pulled a Houdini too, and the apps I moved became corrupt and wouldn't respond. I thought it was the card, and I've had junk SD cards before, so I went and bought a Samsung Essentials Class 10 64GB card. I went through the whole process again, but again I had the same problems. Does the Android system have problems formatting such high capacity cards? I know higher capacity cards need to be formatted a little differently, but with Samsung boasting 128GB capacity for this one surely it should be able to deal with a 64GB right?

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have both the 64GB and 128GB Sandisk cards for mine and they both work fine so no the S5 does not have problems with the higher capacity cards..
I only use Sandisk cards bought from a local retailer to avoid getting a fake card..

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a 64GB SanDisk memory card and it works great. I would never buy cheap or generic brands for memory cards. I'd rather spend the extra bit of cash to get a card that will actually do what it needs to.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
64gb Samsung card in my S5 and I used a 64gb Transcend card in my Tab S, both work fine and can both be read on the phone.

Sounds like a dodgy card to me.

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
So a week ago I was able to take it to a verizon store to have the issue checked out. I explained it to the guy, he tried to move a file to it and got a message "Failed to move". He opened it up and took out the card, checked the pins and said the pins looked a little scratched so I may have a bad SD port. Since that store was only a small retailer, I was sent to the nearby larger corporate store. I took it there, explained to the guy the same problem, told what the other guy told me, he tried the same file procedure and gets the same message. He unmounted the card, took it out to check the pins, remounted the card, moved the file and it works. He then claims "seems to work fine now. Your pins look fine so i doubt they're bad. Maybe its your card". I remind him I tried it on 2 different cards and he says "Do you have something else to test the cards, like on your computer? How else can you be sure the cards aren't bad?". Since he was surprised when I explained to him the difference between FAT32 and exFAT formatting, I already doubted this guy's credibility, but anyways he says "Well try it out again, try checking the cards, and if you really want to replace it you'll have to go straight through the manufacturer. They'll test it and if it isn't defective then they may charge you a restocking fee". He also seemed to forget when I told him that the problem occurs about halfway through transferring my 17GB of music, because halfway through the transfer I get error messages and after the transfer only 7GB is filled. CLEARLY there's a problem!

After the fact I remembered the fact that my new action camera is compatible with exFAT SD cards, but only up to 64GB so I can't test the 128GB card but at least I can test the Samsung card which is most likely to be compatible. Through the camera I can read the card on my PC and transfer my music files. The transfer goes through uneventful and all of the 17GB of music is on there. I "Safely eject" my camera from the pc, swap the card over to my phone, let it detect and mount the card and check. It seems fine at first, all files are there initially, but after starting up my music player, finding whole artists missing & checking my music folder I find the files themselves disappearing one by one. Basically all is well until I swap over to the phone

Jamell Jordan

May 28, 2015
Visit site
So I bought a Galaxy S5, and with the 128GB microSD card capacity it boasts I decided to get a 64GB card to put my music (and maybe some other media) on it. It was a generic card, but it had great reviews so I jumped on it. I start it off as usual, shutting down my phone, popping in the card, booting back up and formatting the new card. Off to the races, right? Not quite. I connect it to my computer, create a music folder on it and begin transferring my music. Well the transfers kept stopping halfway and timing out, I assumed it was because I was trying to transfer too much in one go so I did transfers little by little. I go on and search for the files, not only are very few of the folders there but most of the files are gone too. Same for any other media I tried. I tried one other thing by transferring files to internal phone memory then to the card via the phone file browser, and seeing if my less-important apps would move to card. Those files pulled a Houdini too, and the apps I moved became corrupt and wouldn't respond. I thought it was the card, and I've had junk SD cards before, so I went and bought a Samsung Essentials Class 10 64GB card. I went through the whole process again, but again I had the same problems. Does the Android system have problems formatting such high capacity cards? I know higher capacity cards need to be formatted a little differently, but with Samsung boasting 128GB capacity for this one surely it should be able to deal with a 64GB right?

I'm have the same problem I have no clue what to do next have pls help

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm have the same problem I have no clue what to do next have pls help

I actually went to a Verizon dealer with the problem, but none of them have the answer. The only suggestion they gave was to call the 611 number on the phone and get ahold of Samsung tech support about it. Big help they were

tsyoyoyoman

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
tnx god someone else have this problem !!!

so the deal is like this:

i have in my computer 15 GB of mp3

i had a few years back samsung galaxy s3 and i bought the 64GB microsd of sandisk
i moved to the microsd all of my 15 GB songs and at first it worked fine! but after a week or 2 the mp3 on the card disapeared and even formated (strange), formated to 01/01/1970 date... i tried to format the card and try to move the songs again but again they disappeare!
no one had a clue what happens.. even support guys of sandisk or samsung (most of them are dumb' they are just sailsmen)
so after about 2 year i upgrade my version of the phone (samsung galaxy s3) and i tried to do the same with my songs to the card and it worked! like magic! and never dissappered! i figured it was the phone.

i bought a galaxy s5 2 monthes ago and i bought 128GB micro sd sandisk to put in
now i moves my 15 GB of songs to the card and its the same f******* s*** again!
the mp3 files dissappear and my photos on the card also dissapear or currepted!
even when i read the card with a card reader it still not good. after i put the microsd to the phone its corrupes the files!

i know its deffenatly not the phone! its the version!
the version isnt compatible with the 128GB card!
maybe the android version, maybe the rom, maybe the kernels - one of those!

so to sum up:
the samsung galaxy s5 - works fine
128GB microsd card sandisk - works fine
the version of the samsung - still can't deal with the card so it courrped it!

i think we will have to wait for a new vertion to come up.

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
tnx god someone else have this problem !!!

so the deal is like this:

i have in my computer 15 GB of mp3

i had a few years back samsung galaxy s3 and i bought the 64GB microsd of sandisk
i moved to the microsd all of my 15 GB songs and at first it worked fine! but after a week or 2 the mp3 on the card disapeared and even formated (strange), formated to 01/01/1970 date... i tried to format the card and try to move the songs again but again they disappeare!
no one had a clue what happens.. even support guys of sandisk or samsung (most of them are dumb' they are just sailsmen)
so after about 2 year i upgrade my version of the phone (samsung galaxy s3) and i tried to do the same with my songs to the card and it worked! like magic! and never dissappered! i figured it was the phone.

i bought a galaxy s5 2 monthes ago and i bought 128GB micro sd sandisk to put in
now i moves my 15 GB of songs to the card and its the same f******* s*** again!
the mp3 files dissappear and my photos on the card also dissapear or currepted!
even when i read the card with a card reader it still not good. after i put the microsd to the phone its corrupes the files!

i know its deffenatly not the phone! its the version!
the version isnt compatible with the 128GB card!
maybe the android version, maybe the rom, maybe the kernels - one of those!

so to sum up:
the samsung galaxy s5 - works fine
128GB microsd card sandisk - works fine
the version of the samsung - still can't deal with the card so it courrped it!

i think we will have to wait for a new vertion to come up.

Best way I can say it. Hardware works fine, software isn t capable yet

Linda Lee

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had a similar problem with the S5 but with photos having a gray box over them and then eventually disappearing all together. The cards I've used are two San Disks and then Samsung, all 64 GB. The phone was replaced by Verizon and the new one doesn't show a grey box it just doesn't show certain photos. This doesn't happen when saved to the phones memory, only to the cards memory. Oh and the first phone eventually deleted every photo taken since 2011. There's a problem with some phones obviously, maybe just Verizon phones... dunno

Niloc140

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've had a similar problem with the S5 but with photos having a gray box over them and then eventually disappearing all together. The cards I've used are two San Disks and then Samsung, all 64 GB. The phone was replaced by Verizon and the new one doesn't show a grey box it just doesn't show certain photos. This doesn't happen when saved to the phones memory, only to the cards memory. Oh and the first phone eventually deleted every photo taken since 2011. There's a problem with some phones obviously, maybe just Verizon phones... dunno

I have a sg5 from Verizon an same issue here. Have tried 1g thru 128gig cards with no luck. All work in tablets 3 laptops 2 pcs an partridge in a pear tree.... 16g is not enough for this phone ugggh, guess I'll try my luck at the Verizon store. Let you all know how that turns out

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a sg5 from Verizon an same issue here. Have tried 1g thru 128gig cards with no luck. All work in tablets 3 laptops 2 pcs an partridge in a pear tree.... 16g is not enough for this phone ugggh, guess I'll try my luck at the Verizon store. Let you all know how that turns out

Good luck, I pretty much gave up cause all I got was a runaround from people who clearly don't understand the issue

Linda Lee

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well the replacement phone is doing similar destruction to photos saved to the 64GB Samsung SD card.
Has anyone come up with a theory? I think it's either an android, google or samsung problem and not the size or speed of the card. From everything I've read so far the destruction only happens to data stored on SD Cards. Samsung's answer to the problem was to get rid of the SD card slot altogether. I don't want a phone without a changeable battery or SD card, like Apple. If I did, I'd buy an Apple rather than the Samsung S6 or the Note 5... What crappy solution.

KNote72

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Well the replacement phone is doing similar destruction to photos saved to the 64GB Samsung SD card.
Has anyone come up with a theory? I think it's either an android, google or samsung problem and not the size or speed of the card. From everything I've read so far the destruction only happens to data stored on SD Cards. Samsung's answer to the problem was to get rid of the SD card slot altogether. I don't want a phone without a changeable battery or SD card, like Apple. If I did, I'd buy an Apple rather than the Samsung S6 or the Note 5... What crappy solution.

Yeah that's ultimately the answer I've come to, certainly haven't been able to get any better answer from the help at the Verizon stores. I had the same circumstances, always wiping SD card files regardless of card capacity or speed

ElmoRoberts

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
After numerous emails with Verizon tech support I finally got what might be the truth:
1) Android native code does not support recognition or use of external storage. Never did according to Verizon.
2) Up until the Marshmallow version Samsung implemented a mod to Android to support and recognize external storage. The mod did not work for every application but did for a large number. This included about 20 apps I moved to the SD card I had. Everything worked perfectly until the Marshmallow upgrade. According to Verizon tech support Samsung just decided to not support anything but the base version of Android (unmodified) which meant that the mod/patch to support external storage won't come the Samsung phone.
3) After the Marshmallow upgrade (and maybe some versions prior) all SD apps and data where automatically pushed back to internal storage. Since everything I had on the SD card had way more storage needs than internal storage could handle I lost all of the data – including all the music and pictures I downloaded. NOTE: some of the tips I found on the Internet about configuring the phone to recognize the SD card as ‘internal storage’ don’t work.
4) Basically I was told that use of the SD card would NOT be supported going forward – this coming from Verizon tech support
5) Verizon tech support said EVERY Android upgrade would put anything on the SD back into internal storage even if Samsung re-implements the patch to do so.

My response to Verizon was basically to say they should warn their customers about the impacts of an op system upgrade AND give customers the option to not install the upgrade.
So far: no response from Verizon.

My next argument will be with Samsung. Why are they promoting their phones with SD card slots, pushing that as a feature, and know that you can't use external storage. Sounds like falsh advertising.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sd cards are meant for storing media. It's hardly false advertising. The changes preventing apps being used on SD card were implemented by Google from a security perspective. It's impossible to access a phone's data but all you need do is remove the SD card and stick it in a computer. Sd cards used for running apps is seldom a good idea as they are extremely slow. Further., they have a limited life span ie the number of times you can read or write to them and they will get corrupt and eventually fail taking your data with it.The write/rewrite will happen a lot if apps are contained on SD cards accelerating their demise.
It's not a case of warning their customers for something which is standard. If consumers don't understand how phones work, that's their problem.

cafaas1207

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hardly slow !! Samsungs own PRO Plus microSD is the latest 95MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds
-UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3), Class 10 - This is used to allow Cameras & Recorders to shoot 4K videos.
I was using similar U1 Class 10 for photos and apps for the last 2 years with my S5 phone without an issue. So the levels of technology required is not the issue here.
But ever since the Marshmallow Upgrade -- it stopped working !!
In this consumer market - they'll very quickly be scratching their head and balls wondering why consumers bail out and buy products that do what they ask for -- and not what the company thinks best for them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2