Wifi Slow on Galaxy S5 - Strange Problem, Please Help

Ben EV

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same trouble with all of my Samsung devices on my router (netgear ac1900). I am using att uverse. I managed to fix the problem by switching my router over to an access point which immediately made Facebook and all other apps run normally. It appears is an issue when a router is plugged into whatever ISP device you are using is not forwarding is port (I.E access point)

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
THIS! Finally after months of slooow wifi on Google Play, Instagram, etc (basically any app) I finally have my wifi performance back.

It started after upgrading to 4.4.4 so I tried everything: full wipes (cache, dalvik, etc), reinstalling the ROM and finally gave up, using my data to its limit. Finally I upgraded to 5.0 lollipop on my verizon S5 and while somewhat better, still had the issue! This actually worked! screw whoever decided that ipv6 will gimp a phone like this:mad:

I really feel like this has to be the fix for me because your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. However I do have IPV6 disabled and all of my apps are still very slow. Did you perhaps change anything else at the same time?

djmaglioli

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I think I finally fixed my issue. I disabled the Play Store's auto update function and the Google App's auto sync options. I did this three days ago and I've had no wifi issues since.

ColeCPA

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the same exact problem Airman1947 describes in his original post. I have to switch and sign into my guest network in order to get Facebook and Instagram photos and videos to load. This makes me crazy as some other apps like Google Hangouts won't work right while on the guest network. Besides, I do not want to have to keep signing into my guest network every time I want to use social media apps. I kept reading the replies to this thread and I am not sure you've found a solution to the problem yet. Have you??? I get so frustrated with this phone. My husband has an S4 and he doesn't have the problem at all. None of our other equipment, which includes 3 laptops, several tablets and another cell phone, does it. Using wifi in Airplane mode does work, too, but I could miss out on calls and text using that mode.

Do I really have to just switch back to an old modem to fix it, or has anyone found another solution? We recently purchased a Belkin (which has the guest access option; our old Linksys didn't) and I would like to keep us on the same modem, however, this is driving me nuts.

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Cole - I would hesitate to get a new router because it is a crap shoot. I got a new router and I am still having the same problem. The fact that we have been unable to diagnose the actual problems indicates that any new router you buy may (or may not) work.

Also Cole, have you tried the following?:

Disable IPV6 in your router (some have had success with this)
Disable wifi security (if this works, see the post from simone moro to enable security with a static IP for your phone in this link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...w-namely-facebook-app-help-2.html#post4238492 )
Disable Download booster (settings/more networks)
Disable smart network switch (in wifi advanced settings)
Connect to router on the "guest network" (if your router has that setting available - this is a feature on newer routers)

timralex

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
To the OP and others:

I have the same cablemoden (Arris - through TWC) and was having the same problem with my Galaxy S5 - slow access to google.com (regardless of browse used), facebook, google play, google maps, etc...). I was not experiencing this with any of my other android devices (Moto Droid RAZR MAXX, LG Spectrum, Galaxy Tab 3).

The solution that worked for me was, under the "LAN Setup" tab, check the "Enable DNS Relay" box. For good measure, I also enabled the DNS Override and set them to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. I don't know if it affects it, but I also have UPnP enabled.

When I un-enable DNS relay, the problem comes back.

Hope this helps.

This seems to be the answer. It's fixed the issue for me so far.

I've been dealing with this issue for so long. So annoying. Many thanks.

Ssilverhaze

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I thought I had fixed this issue unfortunately it never is that easy. So, I have the Verizon S5, a Netgear WNDR4300, and Arris modem. My issue is a little bit weirder than the others. Whenever I connect my GS5 to my home wifi it is not only slow on my phone but it slows everyone else on the network down. I'll connect my phone and boom suddenly the internet on my PC slows to a crawl. The up and down arrows on the wifi symbol on the phone are constantly lit up always sending and receiving information. I restart the phone and the wifi symbol goes back to normal for awhile and the wifi on all devices including the phone is quick and fast for around an hour until it slows down again and I have to disconnect it from the wifi in order for my other devices to work properly. Iv'e tried every solution listed within this thread and beyond but I'll ask does anyone have any other ideas how to fix this. I'm hoping the 5.0 update for the GS5 brings a much needed fix but, since this issue has been a problem since 4.3 on the GS5 its unlikely.

Exactly the same here, just got the s5 coming from a note 2, my girlfriends s3 works flawlessly with my home wifi as did my note 2 but the s5 screws everything up.
The s5 disconnects my NAS server from the network, wich really makes me angry because i use XBMC in combination with Yatse remote over wifi -_- and just doesn't load what it has to in all the apps eg. browsing, facebook, app store and so on.
i'm going to try the tips given on this thread, will update soon

Ssilverhaze

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Third ****** reply i'm typing here, I can't post links because I don't have 10 posts...................
Here I go again:
I tried removing the sim card, that didn't work, then I went looking for the settings as mentioned above but couldn't find them the only notable settings I found can be seen here:

postimg .org/image/6js8n0oc1/

Tried forcing "dhcp server" - no luck so now i'm out of options.
I'll go try the s5 at a friends wifi tonight and tomorrow i'll go back to the shop I got this from.
And wow look at that I have to reboot my computer because my pc doesn't have an ip anymore! great phone! they should use the s5 in the army to disrupt enemy communications ffs

Edit: been an half hour had to reset my modem because my pc couldn't connect to the network anymore not sure if this has anything to do with the dhcp settings but 1 thing is for sure the s5 is a phone from hell

Last edited:

jdrch

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here for a long while now. I have an ASUS RT-N66U. I've tried every setting in the firmware, including factory resetting the device, to no effect. What's really odd to me is the phone still passes speed tests with flying colors.

jdrch

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Problem fixed (for now)!!!

Some background on my setup: ASUS RT-N66U router, Mediacom Triple Play package with internet + whole home Tivo (that uses an Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA adapter) + phone (that uses a separate Cisco DPC3208 VoIP modem).

SHORT STORY:
- Turn off every device on your LAN except for the S5. Every single one, including your modem, router, cable boxes/DVRs, MoCA adapters, VoIP gateways, etc.
- Turn everything back on, starting with the MoCA adapter, then your modem, then the switches the VoIP gateway is connected to, then everything else.
- Every time you turn something on, check the S5 to make sure everything's working. If the problem returns at some step, then the most recently added device might be the culprit.
- Be sure your VoIP gateway is not connected to your LAN via Ethernet. I think that causes something(s) on the S5 to see it as an internet gateway, except it doesn't really have internet access, which leads to problems.

The S5 should load images normally now.

LONG STORY:
- I took the advice on the thread (thanks!) and created a guest network on my router. When that fixed the issue, I figured my router was working correctly and so the problem had something else on my LAN, since the guest network is separate from the LAN.
- Given the above, I started disconnecting devices from the LAN and checking the S5 after each one.
- Upon disconnecting the VoIP modem from the LAN, I saw a slight improvement.
- Upon disconnecting the MoCA adapter, the problem went away entirely.

As I said, I think something (maybe a partial power loss in the LAN as my modem and router are connected to UPS but much of the rest of the LAN isn't) made either the modem or the MoCA adapter appear as a gateway to some S5 apps/functions. Powering everything down and then back up in the order I specified forces your router to rebuild its routing table for the LAN from scratch as devices come online (as opposed to seeing them already there after a reset). I'm hoping my solution lasts, but if it messes up again I'll probably just power down the MoCA adapter, my modem, and my router only and then turn them back on in that order.

Hope this helps folks.

Brianman314

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Finally seem to have solved it. On my Netgear router, IPV6 was set to "Auto detect." - changed to "Auto Config" and apps started responding right away :)

odohvare

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue as everyone else here. So, I did something similar. On my Netgear WNDR3400v2 router, under the Advanced tab -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6(the drop down across from "Internet Connection Type", I changed it from auto detect to disabled, and all is well now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 LolliPop

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Same thing here. I logged into my router to check my password and it did a auto update of the firmware. Since then Facebook and Instagram are super slow. When I turn off WiFi they load normal. I may to to go back to old firmware if I can.

Posted via the Android Central App

ingman20

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Better late than never right?

I've had this issue for a while now too. It started when I got my Note 4 then continued when I got the Note Edge. I've tried everything in this forum with no luck. All the IPV6 stuff, talking to ISP, updating firmware on wireless router, nothing. I got desperate and tried djmaglioli's suggestion of disabling the Auto-update feature on the Google Play store and boom, magically started working. After that, I also created a 5Ghz network SSID and am logged into that. I have seen that some of these fixes only help for a few days so we'll see how this goes. I'm not holding out much hope for this to be a permanent fix but as someone who works in IT I know that stranger things have happened...

Good luck to everyone else trying to get one of these solutions to work for them and thank you everyone who has posted. Sometimes it's nice to just know I'm not alone.

UPDATE: Stopped working after just 1 day. Tried to completely shut off Play store's auto update, turned off Google + auto update and it's not working. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Pablo Mercade

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION. Well, at least for me it worked. I was having the same issue where all the devices surfed the Internet and apps perfect minus my android phones.

-log into your modem/router and change the dhcp ip address scheme from 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1
-reboot modem/router
-send me a cheer if it works for you

***don't waste money buying another router nor waste time "rooting" your phone like all these dumbies are Suggesting.
***android seriously needs to fix that in the next update
***and people paY attention to what he's having an issue with And stop asking stupid questions

jerimiahf

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue here at home - setup may help but the fix is still TBD:

pfSense Firewall (which isn't the issue - you'll see why in a sec)
Home Internet - FIOS (using pf to get out)
MoCA Bridge in place but not inline to the connection out - just hanging off LAN to get cable boxes internet for guide updates
Unifi Pro AP (2.4/5 Ghtz)
Dell & HP Switches
HE.net IPv6 tunnel
Also have Verizon G & N routers as "backup" but both are connected LAN only as "AP's" so to speak.

Found that with Wifi + Cell Data on = problem - slow, loading videos, etc. Turned off Google+, tried static network settings, public DNS (vs the DNS I run internally) - no improvement. Even tried turning off MoCA bridge aspect of modem - doesn't matter. Even tried 2.4 only vs 5 Ghtz networks on my SSIDs, didn't help.

Happen to have a "hot internet" network in which my AP happens to have an SSID for with a VLAN just for what I'll call "Guest" network access. The subnet that uses is unique and happens to go thru pfSense just like the normal network does. FW rules don't matter I let everything out on both.

Switched my S5 (Verizon) running latest 5.0 release - to that guest network, its BLAZINGLY fast. I'm going to do some more troubleshooting as my home setup is far from simple - but alas the common pieces of pfSense and the same internet connection make it unique that I can test both pieces. Maybe I"ll find something and if I do I'll post but for now no need to not be on the guest network (I don't use things internally that the phone needs to get to) and its fast as hell. Oh and all other Apple phones and Samsung S3 phone (prior to S5) work fine there. So strange.

jcfulwood

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Fix for my facebook issue on galaxy s6 and note 4 after trying everything you had was to turn off ipv6 on router. Or more specifically set connection type to 6to4 tunnel on belkin router. After doing so restart route . Fixed my issue hopefully this will help. As far as battery issues android released a update in april on play store that helped My s6. Also using apps like greenify and clean master and battery booster helped save my phone from returning it To verizon. Cause of my issue was after closing apps services we're still running in background Killing battry on cell standby.