Wifi Slow on Galaxy S5 - Strange Problem, Please Help

badpigg

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
My S5 does the exact same thing. Slow wifi, dropped wifi or cant connect. Brand new router and same problem. Factory reset, refresh everything same problem.Smart setting on or off. Getting really frustrating!!

badpigg

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Possible solution. Installed clean sweep app and cleared out my cache. I Was able to connect to the home wifi after that.

Posted via the Android Central App

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife's S5 is having similar issues. Not just on home Wi-Fi though, also at her work and other places. I will have to try disabling Ipv6 and see if that helps. But I do think this started messing up soon after the last update to her phone. Her phone ate up a ton of data last month. We noticed the problem especially when running Hulu or Netflix. Couldn't get chromecast to show up on her phone. Didn't have any problems until this past month. She continually gets a disconnect reconnect message. Or a not online message even with Wi-Fi and 4g on.crazy. hope the next update fixes this.

UPDATE: My wife did a factory reset and so far last two days have been good.
Hopefully will stay good.

Last edited:

richiec59

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I know I'm a little late but I have the same issue. Wifi connects very strong but Facebook and Instagram will not load over wifi. I did all the steps you did also. What drives me bananas is I have family with the galaxy s5 with T-Mobile and AT&T in the house with no issues. (Mine is with Verizon). Even more bizarre is if I take out my sim card and run directly over wifi it works fine! So I figured it was a sim issue and went to Verizon and had the sim replaced and still have the issue. I don't understand it!! I think it has something to do with the Verizon network. I'm using a linksys smart wifi router. Please someone help. I never had this problem before. :(

TFurst

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Having the same problem. Talked to Verizon Tier 2 tech support on Thursday evening (1/8/2015). Spent an hour between them and customer service. He ran a bunch of diagnostics from wherever he was, and saw that there was no issue with my WiFi in terms of signal strength. After all of that nothing was resolved, other than they credited me for the overage I incurred due to this problem. The other side effect me and my wife have noticed is battery usage. The phones a devouring battery as well now since the last update. Thinking of calling back today to add the battery usage issue to the ticket he created. Very irritated that these phones are essentially useless to us now unless we want to pay data overages every month until they fix the problem.

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This problem was driving me nuts. I did find a solution though.

Tried doing a factory which DID NOT work.

What worked was disabling ipv6 on my router as others have mentioned.
Wanted to also confirm it.

Disabling ipv6 on my Win7 x64 network using Cisco router worked for me too. EDIT: Found out that the problem comes back after about a week. Need to re-boot router again for quicker speeds. Still don't have permanent solution. :-\

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Not ignoring your WiFi problems, but my phone has never given me any WiFi issues ever.

But, I exercise extreme control over the when, and the where it can work.

I do this with one control app called MacroDroid.
=> * MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

The free version allows for 5 macros that can control a single selection. Even so, the free version can and does (on my wife's SGS5 phone) easily handle your problems.

On her phone, I wrote 4 macros:

Data OFF label
  • Trigger: Screen OFF
  • Action: disable MobileData

Data ON label
  • Trigger: Screen ON
  • Action: Enable MobileData

WiFi OFF label
  • Trigger: Screen OFF
  • Action: Disable WiFi

WiFi ON label
  • Trigger: Screen ON
  • Action: Enable WiFi

Those four simple macros have performed miracles with her phone's battery consumption.
It idles along for days and days and does not need a charge. I looked at it yesterday 3 days off charge and it was at 84% battery. Her phone does not have any downloaded apps. All useless apps are turned off.
One of these days, when her phone finally drops low enough, I am going to make a screen shot of how long it has been off charge. Going to be at a week more though....

I use the Pro version of MacroDroid on my phone because I want more from it. The premium version can control multiple status points with one macro.

So, on my phone, I have 2 macros to control the radios.
Screen OFF and Screen ON.
each of those will control both Wifi and DATA simultaneously and I get 3 days use per charge cycle.
and that is with me using the phone quite a bit all thru the day looking at it helping folks like you on the forums.

I do the normal telco calls, SMS stuff, emails, news sites apps, GPS mapping apps (my favorite topic) and more. I do not watch videos, nor do I play games with my phone. I just don't like games....

It won't cost you anything...

below is a screenshot of my phone, which most likely will better represent the use most folks give their S5 phone. My wife is the exception. she does not make outbound calls, she only takes them...

Attachments

• 2 days 18 hrs Battery 64%.jpg
    2 days 18 hrs Battery 64%.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 28

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I too have the same issue and found this post very valuable. Thank you OP.

I tried disabling my ipv6 on my Verizon n/as routher and it still did not work. So my questions are;
Does everyone have this issue?
If I go to Big Red and swap my phone, would that be a viable solution?

T.I.A.

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
note 4 here, same problems. Over 4gLTE everything works fine. However on some WiFi locations (at home especially) the wifi just does not work with apps. It works fine with webpages in the browser, but apps take forever to load (about 2-5 minutes to load one image on instagram or even google play, for instance.) Its weird though, on some wifi networks it works fine.

Ive tried all kinds of stuff and researched everywhere and I just cant seem to fix it. The only fix seems to be replacing your router, but unfortunately I cant do that because I have Fios and you have to use their routers.2

Ive tried:

Disabling/enabling IPV6
restarting router
restarting phone
forgetting network on phone
logging out/in of apps
disabling/enabling the mobile/wifi data option
changing network channel on router
updating router firmware

anyone find a solution yet? driving us nuts.

Pianoman2013

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have Sprint's variant of the S5 (SM-G900P), and I am having the same wifi issues, but it only appears to be on my home network. When I am at home, the wifi is sluggish, but where I am noticing the biggest (and most frustrating) issue is with my Google Account syncing. When I am at home, it doesn't. I will receive an email hours after it appears on my tablet (Nexus 7 2013). My auto-backup of photos through Google+ will not register on the S5, but WILL on the tablet and the computer. In short: zero push notifications. When I am on LTE, everything syncs instantly; the same goes for my wifi at work. The only thing that I can gather from the posts is that ipv6 has something to do with it. When I am at home, I have an ipv4 and ipv6 address. At work and on public wifi networks I am only assigned an ipv4 address.

I have a TC8305C router from Comcast, and I do not see any way to disable ipv6. I found this thread which is much older (2013) but this user seemed to have a similar problem (and since this is my first post, I cannot post the link). It was entitled "Bug: Samsung Galaxy S3 (+other Samsungs) broken in IPv6 WLAN networks (wifi driver ignores icmpv6)." Funny enough, my S3 never had this issue for the more than two years I had it.

I have tried the factory reset, but the same problem exists, on my phone and my wife's (also S5). My network and tech knowledge is workable, but by no means extensive. I am good at following directions, so I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

djmaglioli

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
For anyone with this problem try disabling Google+ and if you're on Verizon try disabling Verizon's cloud app or any other equivalent services.

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Holy crap...I think this just worked for me! Earlier in the week after 2 months of no issues with my new LG G3, my home wifi is barely running my apps. Other devices in the house are fine, including phones. I can get on FB or Instagram via Chrome and the desk top versions on my phone work fine, just no apps. I just trashed Google Plus and it seems to be running the apps! I hope this is the fix, thank you!

GS5_14580

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I have same setup: GS5 KitKat, TWC Roadrunner Turbo, and ARRIS modem/router. I think I fixed it by disabling ipv6 on ARRIS modem.
you have to uncheck "Enable DHCP (IPV6)" under DYNAMIC (IPV6) & uncheck "Enable Static IPV6" under STATIC (IPV6) on the WAN Setup tab, and also uncheck "Enable DHCP Server (IPV6)" under LAN SETTINGS (IPV6) on the LAN Setup tab. Make sure to click apply after changing each one, then "restart router" under utilities tab.
Worked like a charm!

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
unfortunately that is one of the first things I tried based on the success of a few others... ipv6 was already disabled by default. I also tried enabling it (just in case). No luck.

Stackrat

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
To the OP and others:

I have the same cablemoden (Arris - through TWC) and was having the same problem with my Galaxy S5 - slow access to google.com (regardless of browse used), facebook, google play, google maps, etc...). I was not experiencing this with any of my other android devices (Moto Droid RAZR MAXX, LG Spectrum, Galaxy Tab 3).

The solution that worked for me was, under the "LAN Setup" tab, check the "Enable DNS Relay" box. For good measure, I also enabled the DNS Override and set them to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. I don't know if it affects it, but I also have UPnP enabled.

When I un-enable DNS relay, the problem comes back.

Hope this helps.

djmaglioli

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I thought I had fixed this issue unfortunately it never is that easy. So, I have the Verizon S5, a Netgear WNDR4300, and Arris modem. My issue is a little bit weirder than the others. Whenever I connect my GS5 to my home wifi it is not only slow on my phone but it slows everyone else on the network down. I'll connect my phone and boom suddenly the internet on my PC slows to a crawl. The up and down arrows on the wifi symbol on the phone are constantly lit up always sending and receiving information. I restart the phone and the wifi symbol goes back to normal for awhile and the wifi on all devices including the phone is quick and fast for around an hour until it slows down again and I have to disconnect it from the wifi in order for my other devices to work properly. Iv'e tried every solution listed within this thread and beyond but I'll ask does anyone have any other ideas how to fix this. I'm hoping the 5.0 update for the GS5 brings a much needed fix but, since this issue has been a problem since 4.3 on the GS5 its unlikely.

djmaglioli

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank You I had tried the Wif analyzer before and it said all of my channels were fine and MAC filtering last I checked was off, now before I say this I'll knock on every piece of wood I can find in the house but, I did the second part of Verizon's lollipop update yesterday and I've had absolutely no issues with Wifi at all so far today

Edit: Well it returned, but it doesn't seem as bad as it was. It still making the phone unusable and slowing down my entire network, but I guess I'll either get it replaced or just have to live with it until either Google or Samsung gets their head out their *** and fixes it.

Last edited:

socalsx

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have same setup: GS5 KitKat, TWC Roadrunner Turbo, and ARRIS modem/router. I think I fixed it by disabling ipv6 on ARRIS modem.
you have to uncheck "Enable DHCP (IPV6)" under DYNAMIC (IPV6) & uncheck "Enable Static IPV6" under STATIC (IPV6) on the WAN Setup tab, and also uncheck "Enable DHCP Server (IPV6)" under LAN SETTINGS (IPV6) on the LAN Setup tab. Make sure to click apply after changing each one, then "restart router" under utilities tab.
Worked like a charm!

THIS! Finally after months of slooow wifi on Google Play, Instagram, etc (basically any app) I finally have my wifi performance back.

It started after upgrading to 4.4.4 so I tried everything: full wipes (cache, dalvik, etc), reinstalling the ROM and finally gave up, using my data to its limit. Finally I upgraded to 5.0 lollipop on my verizon S5 and while somewhat better, still had the issue! This actually worked! screw whoever decided that ipv6 will gimp a phone like this:mad:

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was had the same exact problem and no one could answer me. I'll even go so far as to say that if you take out the SIM card, your wifi will work fine.

I traced it back to my network setup in my house. I have the Verizon fios router, couple switches and a second Dlink router configured as a switch (no wifi or DNS). Seemed to be an issue with the Dlink as every time I powered it off my phone worked perfectly.

In the end, I replaced the Dlink with a $20 linksys / cisco switch and no more issues.

Posted via the Android Central App