Why won't my S5 stay connected to wifi?

mikekingtaylor

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
My S5 won't stay connected to wifi.

I've never had a problem connecting to my home wifi, everything was working fine on Friday, I left the house, went to my girlfriends and my phone connected to her wifi without a problem as usual. I returned home on Saturday and my S5 failed to connect to my wifi, I connected it manually and it connects and disconnects almost instantly. I have 5 other devices including a samsung galaxy note 4 in the house which all work perfectly fine. I've tired switching the router off and on again and that makes no difference, I removed the phone battery for 5 minutes and it then connects to the wifi for about 5-10 seconds then again disconnects, I have no idea what else I can try....

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: My S5 won't stay connected to wifi.

Try forgetting your home network and reconnecting. And in the phone's WiFi settings, make sure the Smart switch or whatever they call is is off. It is supposed to stabilize your connection and switch to mobile data, but it is overly sensitive.

mikekingtaylor

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

I've tried to forget and then reconnect to the network and that doesn't work either, and my smart switch is off. I have no idea why it's all of a sudden started doing it.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Don't know, but if you search this topic here on AC, you'll find quite a few threads on the problem with a range of different solutions and workaounds. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

fl2oftmd

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Try restarting your router. Not reset.. Restart.

fl2oftmd Posted via the Android Central App

AW2011S

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem since Sunday, phone won't stay connected even though I have authorised it using the pin system. All other devices including note 2 stay connected to the home wifi, just not my galaxy s5 even though it connects at work etc. Tried resetting home wifi but same problem???

Last edited:

Maguire WebDesign

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi i was wondering have you found a solution to the problem yet as i am having the same issue after connecting to a friends wifi and when i got home it wouldn't work on the wifi it has always worked with, would really appreciate a reply.

Amy Pinky

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem as you. Did you install any apps such as "McAfee Mobile Security"? under "Wifi Security", you gota off it and it works for me. Hopefully it will for you too!!

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I had a similar problem recently and found it was somehow fixed by deleting the Jawbone UP app. Do you still have the problem in safe mode?

Posted via the Android Central App

Elizabeth Montalbo

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I had a similar problem recently and found it was somehow fixed by deleting the Jawbone UP app. Do you still have the problem in safe mode?

Posted via the Android Central App

I recently got a jawbone up for christmas. Ever since I installed the app I've had the same problem. That might be reason I won't stay connected to wifi.

sotnj

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I, too, have had the problem of not being able to connect to my home wifi after connecting to my work wifi guest net. I, too, received Jawbone UP. I just uninstalled it and all is great again so thank you for your suggestion. I had already contacted Jawbone because I had other issues so now I am going to tell them about this.

LottieDah

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Me too. But it happens on both my home and work WiFi. Just out of nowhere. Deleted some of my newer apps but still happening and no other settings have changed. Help!

Carlo DiLalla

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I started having this issue as well about 3 days ago. I do not have McAfee, nor a jawbone. I did use a pebble watch and currently an asus zen watch and I deleted both apps and removed them from bluetooth and that was NG. This really started frustrating me as it is a work phone, so I try to use Wi-Fi when I can to keep under a 5G limi and this issue was causing Simpsons Tapped Out to randomly black out on the screen as it switched between Wi-Fi and cellular. Hey, all I'll say is bad things can happen if you take away a man's freemium game. So this worked for me (so far) Settings - Wi-Fi - Unchecked "Smart NetworkSwitch" Then I touched the 3 Dots on the top right (options) and selected advanced - here I turned off everything. Then I exited to the main screen and restarted my S5. So far it has worked and been solid , for over 3 hours.

I no longer get the message telling me my signal strength is junk when all other devices reported that Wi-Fi and m signal analizer told me that my signal was great on an isolated channel. I never suspected my router as I did reboot it (twice) and the issue o the S5 happened on multiple routers setup by smarter people than I.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just started having this problem two days ago. Connects and then disconnects immediately over and over. Something changed recently as there are a lot of people having this problem all of a sudden.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Did this start after the ota update to 5.0? I just unchecked "Smart Switch" in the Wi-Fi advanced menu.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site

No, started the day before I did the ota update to 5.0. I was hoping 5.0 would fix it but it still does it. I unchecked that as well and it stopped but I have been using it with it checked for almost a year. Something just changed two days ago to cause this for a bunch of people.

Devenchi

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Turn off Smart network switch

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-07-11-28-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-07-11-28-00.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40

Trending Posts

Forum statistics