Sprint is offering the S5 for $20 a month lease. Customers on a qualifying plan - for instance, the everything data share plan, are eligible for a $15 a month bill credit for this lease deal.

I am currently in a contract that doesn't expire until September 2015 and I'm not eligible for upgrade until May of 2015. Does anyone know if I could start this lease deal anytime and get the loyal credit, even though I'm not eligible for upgrade yet?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-27-2014 08:29 AM
    Yes, you can start the deal anytime. I traded my M8 (purchased in April this year) for the GS5 last weekend on this deal. Net of $5 a month extra on my bill. No new contract. New Galaxy every 2 years. Actually cheaper than paying $199 every two years for a phone...if you like Samsung! And I do!

NexusLion likes this.
    11-27-2014 06:26 PM
    Yes, you can start the deal anytime. I traded my M8 (purchased in April this year) for the GS5 last weekend on this deal. Net of $5 a month extra on my bill. No new contract. New Galaxy every 2 years. Actually cheaper than paying $199 every two years for a phone...if you like Samsung! And I do!

I do like Samsung. I got S3's for me & the wife last September and we love the phone. The had the S4 out but wanted a ton more for them.

So we decided on the S3 and picked them up at Target for $50 (each) - $50 gift card. The Target rep even activated the first gift card so I could buy the second phone with it. So I walked out with 2 phones, my wallet $50 lighter, and one remaining $50 gift card. Which sounds like a drag but at that time we were buying diapers frequently from target.

Okay sorry for the long story.

I just recently got a N7 2013 LTE off Groupon and I'm addicted to the speed of the device. When I'm home I put the phone down and use the tablet.

When I'm on the go I'm finding myself wanting that speed in my phone - it just bogs down at times... I don't update certain apps because I know it might break them on the phone.

So now for the punchline.

We could upgrade to S4s, but we'd have to wait until May to be eligible, and even then it would probably cost $199/phone.

So if we can do the lease deal anytime as you say, to me it's a no brainer.

$5/month over 2 years is $120?

The S3s are pretty much worth zilch on trade.

I'm not one to lease a car, etc, but I'm coming to the conclusion if you buy a phone every two years for the contract price, you get to keep it, but then it is now nearly obsolete and worth nothing to resell - so what's the point?

So a lease for $20 is okay, but for $5 I don't think I could say no.

Here is a rhetorical question - if you had an eligible upgrade sitting in your pocket, what would stop you from upgrading to a new phone at contract price (say, $200 for a $750 retail phone), then starting a new $5/month S5 lease, and turning around to resell the phone to make a $550 profit?

11-28-2014 10:54 AM