[Q] What is up with the S5's rear camera?

keioffice

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
just got the phone brand new yesterday coming from an s3 and i can instantly notice the camera is somewhat worse?

this is very obvious in low light, even with light the photos seem to look grainy like the phone is always zoomed in. am i missing something? any tips here from other S5 owners

i'm on stock 4.4.2 rooted

left is the S5 while right is the s3.
the S5 is so grainy i can barely see any detail, it appeals very grainy on the phone's screen also while taking the shot
sample images below, the quality on the s3 while darker seems much more sharper.

Attachments

• 20141130_124449 - Copy.jpg
    20141130_124449 - Copy.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20141130_124442.jpg
    IMG_20141130_124442.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 46

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) You should be aware that in a digital camera, the exposure time is longer for a dimly lighted picture, allowing more noise from he sensor to get captured - leading to a grainier picture.

2) The phone (or at least, the camera) might be defective. It's new, so it's still under the "replace with a new one" warranty. Bring it back. See if they have a demo. If yours, a new one and the demo all do that, it's just the nature of the camera in the S5. (It looks like those pictures were taken under VERY low light, so the exposure time was pretty long, and that will lead to a grainy picture. As far as the zoomed-in look, different cameras have different length lenses, so the S3 may be a wider angle lens than the S5.

keioffice

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
ive taken another pic from my iphone

showing the s5 and s3 side by side.. is there something wrong here?

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 37

dnangel_95

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
^wow yeah. something's wrong alright
uhm you said you're phone is brand new. did you remove the plastic film covering the camera lens?
if that is not the issue, i also suggest that you bring your phone back for a replacement.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
^wow yeah. something's wrong alright
uhm you said you're phone is brand new. did you remove the plastic film covering the camera lens?
if that is not the issue, i also suggest that you bring your phone back for a replacement.

I agree.

I just did a side by side comparison between my iPhone 5S and my GS5 and both were identical..

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
just got the phone brand new yesterday coming from an s3 and i can instantly notice the camera is somewhat worse?

this is very obvious in low light, even with light the photos seem to look grainy like the phone is always zoomed in. am i missing something? any tips here from other S5 owners

i'm on stock 4.4.2 rooted

left is the S5 while right is the s3.
the S5 is so grainy i can barely see any detail, it appeals very grainy on the phone's screen also while taking the shot
sample images below, the quality on the s3 while darker seems much more sharper.

Check to see if Image Stabilization and/or HDR is turned on.
I turned both of those off on my OEM camera app and it improved things a lot.

Each of those have their good points, but you must hold the phone rock solid stable to use them. Like on a tripod or resting against a solid object.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If you think that your Galaxy S5 is having camera issues, go to a shop and compare it to one of the S5's cameras there on display.

If yours is defective, replace it ASAP.

But the darker shots could be a result of the fact that the Galaxy S5 tries to keep the shutter speed high so that you can take images faster, while the S3 takes images slower but at a lower shutter speed.

Again you need to see if all Galaxy S5 cameras are like this.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you took the protective piece of plastic off. It's there but hard to notice

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie