Galaxy S5: Sometimes My Notifications Are Cut Short

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know why occasionally my text notification or ringtone gets cut off? (That I can tell) there doesn't seem to be anything I can put my finger on as to why it happens. When it's a phone call, I've mistaken it for someone hanging up before the end of the first ring but they're actually still on the line.
Thanks

Geo-Bike

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Ditto. Samsung Galaxy S5, text message (whistle) notification cut off at varying lengths. Other post said delete your text messages but not sure how. AND maybe I'd like to keep them anyway. WHAT is the problem and WHAT is the fix?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, my problem is alike but different....

When my son calls me, I answer and his call goes to my voice mail. UNLESS I am using my bluetooth headset, then it answers correctly.

AFIK, it has never happened with any other person trying to call me.

I can't find anything out of sorts.... but something is..... either my fingers are doing something wrong, or his profile is set up wrong.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind deleting my text messages to see if that would help but the problem isn't consistent. So far today, the notification plays all the way thru. Later it might not. Tomorrow it might not, tomorrow it might work. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. So if it works with the same amt of text messages one day and not the next, how could it be the amt of text messages causing the problem? I need more logic than that before I erase all my messages! :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Still no help to you, but the head cold cleared up a bit, and I noticed something "brand new" on the bottom of the call screen while the phone is still ringing but not answered yet.

It is a smallish grey band all the way across the bottom edge. In the center "top edge" of that grey bar, it is a little thicker with up arrows and the words "Reject or send to voice mail"...

If that thing has always been there for 8 months, I am going to claim senility.... but I swear it has been "new in the last week".

What was happening was while I was driving, our son would call, and my wife would grab my phone out of my hands. I am positive that my thumb would be trying to hold onto the phone but slid down onto that grey bar...... and poof! no more call from our son.

That trip resulted in some very serious conversation after that event. You don't touch my phone unless I hand it to you, period........... More accidents are caused by internal feuds in a car than by the driver simply answering the phone. I always put it on speaker anyway, and then I turn on the BT headset.... for me, it is a non-issue.......... for the wife, it is very much a non-issue now........ it will never happen again.

I also found the entry to convert that stupid "slide to answer" to a "single tap to answer", and I also turned on "S Voice" and "ANSWER" to make the phone answer a call w/o me having to grab it out of my pocket. I set up MacroDroid to automatically turn on the Speakerphone when that happens. End of problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

now to your Notifications: I am a retired electronics technician.... I try to analyze what is going on, and look for something that causes that result.

First thought is, there is no relationship between the number of messages retained, versus the method of the Notification. (although for the life of me, I can't imagine wanting to keep old messages. Use Super Backup to send them to the archives and then delete them all) If that fixes the problem, then you still have the old messages if you really need them... Super Backup will let you store them on the SD card, or relay them thru email, Drive, Google+, etc... I email everything from Super Backup to myself and then archive them on the PC.

So, since things are weird sometimes, but not always, I think that there is a combination of things happening.
1st, the OS is getting hosed up a trifle bit.... the best way to handle that is a Power OFF and then power ON.

2nd, the cache is full. Some apps handle "overhead" better than others do. So for me, I would first just clear the cache for the SMS app you are using plus do a Restart after doing that. A full on Cache clear at the partition level might not be all that bad either.... hold the volume up and power button at the same time (while powered off) and then use volume button to select Clear Cache from the blue menu.

3rd, I would try a different SMS app. I am really happy with Textra.... for me, it has never had a mishap.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait! You had me at "I also found the entry to convert that stupid "slide to answer" to a "single tap to answer"! PLEASE tell me how to do this and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it will work on an ATT S5. My mother can not get the hang of the slide to answer thing. Frankly, I'd rather not have to slide either :)
I'll come back to the rest later, but if the notification thing was was cache related, wouldn't it do it all the time? Not a clue what "hosed up" means.
Monica

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
ROFL.gif
"Hosed up".... that's an old redneck saying that everything is SNAFU (military) or just generally Bollixed Up... in other words, it ain't the way it should be....
ROFL.gif

Single Tap Mode:

Open Settings, click on the Search icon at the top. Enter 'TA'

the very first thing you see is that option.

The Settings Search feature is your friend.

or:

Settings
/Accessibility/Single Tap Mode

hope this helps..............

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried two out of the three options to fix the problem...no bueno (that's Tex-Mex for no good) (;
The problem isn't annoying enough yet to change text apps. I like Messages+

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I understand "no bueno" very well. 26 years in OKC, Okie Land, 2 years in the Iowa Park, Wichita Falls, and San Antonio, Tx areas courtesy of Uncle Sam's Air Force.

12 years in Borger/Stinnett/Dumas , Texas learning Tex-Mex on a pipeline job.

13 Years in Denver City, Tx/Hobbs, NM/ABQ/ Isleta, NM / Farmington, NM / Cortez, CO on another pipeline job.

20 years+ in Phoenix/Mesa , AZ on the 911 dispatch crew installing dispatching equipment in the fire stations, the fire "Apparatus". I have personally been in every single Fire Station and piece of apparatus in the Maricopa County area. Phoenix handles all of the 911 dispatching for every city except Mesa, and Apache Junction. Every other city in the Maricopa County area has my finger prints all over it. In the ceilings, in the basements, in the private offices, in the bunk rooms, and yep, in the privies and shower areas.... we locked the doors open on the Women's bathrooms while installing the 911 dispatch equipment there...

and now, retarded (Okie speak for retired) in Okie Land again up near Lake Oologah....

I lost count after 17 moves of where we have been "on the job", it is in the 20 times arena... not fun, and "no more".

In the middle there, somewhere between pipeline jobs, I spent a "miss guided year" on a job in Grouse Creek, Utah installing and repairing Central Office, Residential and extremely Rural telephone service. Interesting job that, my "company car" was a Piper TriPacer PA-22 airplane. We covered the entire state of Utah and Ely, NV. I had a lot of fun on that job because I loved flying, but the displacement of my family for the short time we were there was not worth it.

An interesting side note there. When we made it known that we needed "to get out of there", the Mormon Community all ganged together and offered to turn over the grocery store/Post Office to us permanently so that we could make ends meet.... they wanted us to stay that badly.... it was a hard decision... only the Lord knows if we did it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49