Why am I unable to update after losing root?

Mac2457

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
unable to update after losing root

I rooted my gs5 verizon using towelroot. I took an update and now I'm at 4.4.2 kernel 3.4.0 and lost root. I cannot reroot with towelroot and I get a notification everyday about a new update that fails when I allow. At this point I don't care about root, I would just like to take the update and be done. Is there a way this can be done without plugging into a computer and flashing? Any help would be great, thank you for your time!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: unable to update after losing root

No, there's still something left in there that happened when you were rooted that the update won't take a chance with. You'll have to flash a stock 4.4.2 to get an update.

(Kernel 3.4.0 should be dated around March 15, 2014, so Towel Root should root it.)

Mac2457

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

If something was left behind is that something a factory reset might fix? This was my last hope before a total wipe. Thank you for your response!

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Did you have a custom recovery installed while you were rooted? Did you remove it before you unrooted? I made that mistake once and had to jump through all kinds of hoops to reroot and uninstall the recovery. Once that was done the OTA installed just fine. I don't think that a standard factory reset will remove a custom recovery, but flashing to stock via Odin will.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

What you probably need to do is the recovery and initialization in Kies. The update is probably that kernel that won't let you root. If you root, you flash the previous kernel back and the root, so the update is t going to be there anyway. If you update, you can't root again with that kernel update.