Why does my phone only work properly with 16gb micro sd card?

Melody Bradley

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
why does my phone only work properly with 16gb micro sd card?

I have the Verizon galaxy s5 and for the longest time, I had the 16gb micro sd card in it. Just recently, I bought a 128gb Samsung class 10 micro sd card and for some reason, every time I would add music to the card (either by cable connected to pc or by putting the micro sd card in a card reader and into my computer) it would delete certain folders randomly, and my photos would show an error. Not only would this happen to files that I added myself, it would also happen to pictures I took with the phone with the sd card in it. With the 128gb micro sd card in, my music would play, but it would be like it was streaming it instead of playing my file. I decided to downsize and went to a 64 micro sd card class 10 sandisk. I have the same problem with this one. My photos will not load on the sd card, and any photos I take with the card in my phone will show up as an error on my phone. My music will also disappear randomly without me doing anything to it. My 16gb micro sd card is a class 4 sandisk model and it works fine, but I want larger!

I first contacted Verizon, and after they googled the question and found no answers, directed me to Samsung. I called Samsung twice because the first time, the lady ended up telling me that although my phone can hold up to a 128gb micro sd card, it can only process a class 4 sd card, and anything above a 32gb is class 10 only. I called back again later and got a different answer, which was that I should send my phone in for an evaluation, but they won't send me a replacement phone for the time being, and since I do not have insurance on my phone, Verizon will not give me a replacement either. I do not have any damage whatsoever on my phone. No water damage and I have an Otterbox case on it, so there are no dings or scratches anywhere.

What should I do or what am I doing wrong?

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: why does my phone only work properly with 16gb micro sd card?

This forum is riddled with these types of complaints. Personally, I have a 64GB Sandisk in my S5 and my daughter has a 32GB in her S5, both run without issue. There was speculation about compatible cards, but I have never seen any list. There are fake copies of SD cards on the market, so you need to be wary of the source of the card you purchase.
The only thing that comes to mind is to make certain the card has been formatted correctly by the device and that the OS is recognizing it for what it is.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

The first thing I recommend is ensuring the validity of your SD cards. As previously stated, fake SD cards are pretty common so make sure yours is real. It's real if you bought it at a retail store (i.e. Best Buy, Staples, etc.) or from a valid online retailer (shipped and sold by Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

The second thing is hook the card up to a PC. Either buy a USB card reader (they're about $20) or use a system with a built-in microSDXC card reader (even if it's a $200 Windows tablet). Just make sure it's a full fledged PC. Copy anything off of it you want, format the card (do a full format, not a quick format), scan the card for any errors, and progress from there.

Like jon said, the forums are riddled with people who have SD card issues and others that aren't. I have a 128GB SanDisk (class 10) card in my Galaxy S5 and Surface Pro 2, I also have a 64GB SanDisk (class 10) card in my Asus VivoTab Note 8 Windows tablet. None of them have issues with the memory cards, everything is just fine.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes the best thing to do is to make sure it is a legit card. I bought one and it was bogus. I kept trying to add files and it would delete them. Returned it back to the store and purchased one from Best Buy and no problems so far.

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Yep...check on the card's authenticity...it appears to be a defective or fake micro SD.