I ended up breaking the LCD screen on my S5 a few days ago and now that a replacement is on its way, I would like to retrieve the pictures off of the internal memory. However, when I plug my device into the computer (still turns on and works, just no display) it says no files are on the phone. I'm used to this because I've always had to unlock the phone itself in order to get into the memory on a computer. I can't enter the code since the screen is broken and not taking input as far as I can tell. So. Am I just out of luck here? Or is there another way to access this photos? Which if not it is no big deal since there weren't any IMPORTANT images on there.
    12-24-2014 11:01 PM
    The shop way was to plug an external screen (that's why shops keep unfixable phones - for the few parts that still work) into the phone to get the data off it, wipe it, etc.

Otherwise, if you have an HDMI cable that you use and that requires no screen pressing to get working, use your TV as a screen. (Screen mirroring and Chromecast require the screen to turn on, so they're useless in this situation.)

(It's why I have Tasker enable USB debugging when I'm connected to a certain wifi signal. The phone is safe from people getting in and wiping my password file, but I can always get into the phone if I should need to. And from adb you can pull any files off the phone.)
    12-24-2014 11:19 PM
    How exactly would I use an HDMI cable to use a TV as an external screen?
    12-25-2014 01:00 AM
    How exactly would I use an HDMI cable to use a TV as an external screen?
    never done this myself, would be interesting to know how to do it.

i like adding tools to my 'toolkit'

transmini: have you already installed Samsung SideSync on your S5? if so, you can use that to "see the screen' via the pc.
    12-25-2014 10:06 AM
    Thats the issue, while no I have not downloaded that, but i can't SEE the screen. The LCD screen is broken and its just black. I'm not even positive it's touch responsive anymore because I get no haptic feedback when I touch the screen when I believe it's the lock screen.
    12-25-2014 02:03 PM
    Thats the issue, while no I have not downloaded that, but i can't SEE the screen. The LCD screen is broken and its just black. I'm not even positive it's touch responsive anymore because I get no haptic feedback when I touch the screen when I believe it's the lock screen.
    What I am trying to tell you, is that Samsung's SideSync will put an image of your S5's screen on the PC screen. Looks just like the phone exactly.

IF you already have SideSync loaded on your phone, boot up SideSync on your PC and then it can access your phone even though the screen is destroyed.

If you have not installed SideSync on your phone, you are screwed.

use your PC and go to this link, all of the instructions are there.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=gg0HlXr5
    12-25-2014 07:08 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me. I borrowed the screen from the new unit to access my old unit and install MyPhoneExplorer and set it to run when the phone boots. It's just a few screws to take off the back, unplug the screen, plug the new screen in and your broken unit is available. Once the MyPhoneExplorer is installed you can hook up the USB to your PC (where the desktop app is installed) and your phone will appear on your pc monitor. I install this app on all of my phones now because you never know when disaster will strike.
    AZgl1500 likes this.
    12-26-2014 04:24 PM
    Hi everyone
    I am experiencing a similar problem as Transmini. I have a S5 phone with a black broken screen. But, I can still use my fingerprint scaaner to get past the lock screen and I can run a few basic commands with voice control. Is there any way I can install SideSync with a few basic S Voice commands?
    04-24-2016 06:45 PM
    Hi everyone
    I am experiencing a similar problem as Transmini. I have a S5 phone with a black broken screen. But, I can still use my fingerprint scaaner to get past the lock screen
    If you can use the fingerprint scanner to get past the lock screen, then you are not in the same situation as Transmini.

• Download Samsung Smart Switch.
    • Connect your phone to your computer and do the fingerprint unlock.
    • Run Smart Switch and do a full backup.
    • Now open My Computer and open your phone.
    • Download the Music, Videos, DCIM, Pictures, Photos, and any other directories to your PC.

Now you have a backup of your phone and you can restore it to a new Samsung phone.
    04-27-2016 08:51 AM