New to Samsung and Android

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone
I bought a new Samsung S5 after years and years of iPhone
I am very new to Android OS and not tech savvy like most people so please be kind to me if I ask very basic questions.

1) Can I sync it on multiple devices PC's and/or Mac's ?
As with iDevices on iTunes one can only do it with 1 device.

2) Is Kies the exact same thing as iTunes
Will it backup every thing and resurrect my phone exact.
If I back up to external inserted microSD card, can I then remove it keep it safe and then resurrect it from the microSD card?
How does one backup on cloud using Samsung account or google? what does each one do they both have prompted me to back up?

3) Can I have photos like photostream icloud thing on android. Do I have to sign up for Google+ or is there a basic version minus the social part of it? I don't want to share just keep all to myself don't like the facebook thingy.

4) Is it possible to get rid of Samsung apps keep basic things and get rid of account and social bits.
I suppose If I back up on google (my question 2) why would I need 2 accounts or am I missing something?

5) Are there any remote learning apps similar to built in remote app.
Love the remote app just works.
Edit:
I think I have found/added to wish list a paid app Smart IR Remote-AnyMote
Will update my findings. Please feel free to let me know if there are other apps.

6) I have read that lollipop OS is out, but for EU? I think there are ways one can download it from EU site.
IF one downloads and installs it will it any different than the Australia version
Can one change it once the local version is released?

Sorry for asking so many questions perhaps I can skip and keep looking for answers for other questions but my 1st question is the most important one.
I just want to backup the phone in its entirety so when I restore it, its got everything.
I have google account for gmail, calendar and contacts an d of course google store.
I don't want it for youtube (I have installed separate app with a different g account) ,
photos (I'd like to use google but don't like the facebook thing or perhaps I don't know how it works, so might end up using dropbox)
maps again, I use without logging on to g account.
Thank you all in advance

MODS please let me know if I have asked too many questions in 1 thread, I'll copy paste each question individually.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You are doing just fine.
If I were home with a full size kybd i would gladly help out, but alas, i am vacationing far from home.

others will be along to help.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the quick response,
yeah I know, although these mobile devices have keyboards, I still kind of prefer the full-size proper keyboard :)
Enjoy your vacation mate!

Markrose55555

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, to answer the first question: yes, you can connect your phone to other computers and it will act like a usb flash drive, with you being able to simply drag and drop stuff onto the phone. No problem with doing it on other people's PC's, too. Macs work with it as well. Just think of your phone as a usb storage drive.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How you backup and/or use your device is subjective and totally up to you. Me personally, I have the Samsung Account up and running, but really only use it for updates to the camera app and its apps. I have my phone completely backed up to my Google Account. Reason being is the Google Ecosystem so superior to that of Samsung's, and if my next phone is non-Samsung, then it will be easy to load my account on to it. With the Samsung account you're only limited to Samsung devices.

You can log into Google+ to activate Auto Backup, so when you snap a pic with your phone, it backs up to Google Photos. After that, you access and view all your photos from any device you are logged into. If you don't want to use Google+, you don't have to, I just recommend logging in to back your photos up.

As far a Lollipop, if you have a phone from a carrier, then you'll have to wait til the carrier pushes an update.

Hope this helps. I think once you play around a little more, you'll realize you made a great choice with Android.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all of the above post except for backing up pictures to Google+

I don't want the data charges, nor do I even want any pictures "out there" in the cloud.

I save all of my pictures to my PC hard drive.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of the above post except for backing up pictures to Google+

I don't want the data charges, nor do I even want any pictures "out there" in the cloud.

I save all of my pictures to my PC hard drive.

And that is certainly another option. I've just never had any problems with the cloud. I guess its more of a convenience thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks everyone

I installed Google+ and found it has 2 components Google + (social like face book)
Which one can disable and I have.
Unless it does something in background which I dont want, in that case photo and g+ will be canned from my phone.

The other Photos (pretty much like photo stream)
Things I found
I can choose from my photos what (folders) to auto upload (this option is good)
Screen shoots, Other apps taking photos, downloads etc
If I select to upload full res photos I chews into my Storage (G Drive)
If i choose standard/auto format 2000Xsomething, I get unlimited storage. (Great feature)
So my Photo stream itch has been scratched.

Thanks all

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone

I installed Google+ and found it has 2 components Google + (social like face book)
Which one can disable and I have.
Unless it does something in background which I dont want, in that case photo and g+ will be canned from my phone.

The other Photos (pretty much like photo stream)
Things I found
I can choose from my photos what (folders) to auto upload (this option is good)
Screen shoots, Other apps taking photos, downloads etc
If I select to upload full res photos I chews into my Storage (G Drive)
If i choose standard/auto format 2000Xsomething, I get unlimited storage. (Great feature)
So my Photo stream itch has been scratched.

Thanks all

I am using Google plus to backup my photos too. I have no need for the social part of google plus. How did you disable it?
Thanks

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Not disable it, but i logged on to desktop and just clised all settings to g+ like sharing things and my own info.

What i cant understand is the sync and backup part.
People who have used itunes will understand that one can only use one computer.

I understand i xan use s5 as usb and pretty much copy and paste.

What i am after is a complete backup solution like itunes which resurrects the phone with everything.

Whats the equivalent for android s5?
This is the most imp thing for me.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings>back up & reset, and check Back up my data. As far as I know, you can log into Google on as many devices as you want. All your data will be synced across all your devices, including computers.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Go to settings>back up & reset, and check Back up my data. As far as I know, you can log into Google on as many devices as you want. All your data will be synced across all your devices, including computers.
I thought that will only backup email, contacts, or things which are linked to google.
You reckon this will also backup sms, things on samsungs app, apps, phone settings?
So will this backup everything from my phone to google cloud.
Where does this store, Gdrive?
once backed up, Can one see these bacups on Gdrive and edit, delete or modify?

I really am not keen on backing up on cloud, whats the best way to backup entire phone on local PC/Mac?
Like you said google things will always sync automatically coz I have them with google (mail, contacts, photos, notes, gstore,)

Lets say I have a local backup, I restore the phone from that
1) do I have do download all the apps?
2) do apps maintain all settings in them?
eg. do I put in credentials in google apps
or they all already there its just that ill need wifi and it will download and sync whatever is there in my google accounts at the time?

Edit : I just re read the last line from you post
"All your data will be synced across all your devices, including computers."
So google (mail, contacts, photos, notes, gstore,) bit ofcourse syncs to all devices, which i am aware and current on my ipad, iphone, S5 etc
Or do you mean there are seperate phone hardware backups too, say S5, Sony z3 etc

Re ; Lollipop
I have the phoje outright not locked to any provider.
But if I check phone updates, I dont get an option (coz i am in Australia)
CAn I go to europe samsung website and download it from there or its recommended I should wait for a local build?
as the europe version might stuff up my phone?

Sorry to bombard with so many questions, I just want to be sure before I migrate the phone numbers to S5
micro sim iphone to nano sim S5 :)

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Intresting read,
howtogeek
htg-explains-what-android-data-is-backed-up-automatically
after readin the above I feel there isnt a total backup solution yet, like itunes. It backs up up everything
from sms, app, app settings, passwords (optional) all you gotta do is sync
cloud things like facebook, gmail, contacts etc get synced over the air.

complicated but claim to do full backup without root
howtogeek
how-to-create-a-full-android-phone-or-tablet-backup-without-rooting-or-unlocking-your-device

I have heard of titanium pro as the best tool, too bad for me, requires root.
there is no simple GUI based out of box solution for Android.
I will have to do samsung backup for sms, notes, call logs + Google backup for apps, app data (works on a few) mail contacts etc.

Williams448:
I will try the backup reset and backup to google account.
Where does it store this in google account, am i able to see this? is it on gDrive?

I have helium installed will give that a go and report.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, helium only picked up 137 app out of 152 apps. (not counting the system apps)
I have had a better luck with Easy Backup app as it picked up 152 apps
further tests pending :)

INOV8TN

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried Easy Backup. I wouldn't recommend it for the Galaxy S 5 Contacts unless you don't mind losing everything but the names and numbers. It doesn't seem to save Company info or Notes (which I use and need).

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
This is an old thread, but to backup a Samsung Galaxy phone, I'd use:

• Samsung Smart Switch
  • Google (Accounts -> Google -> all checkboxes checked for syncing)
  • Export Contacts to .vcf
  • SMS Backup and Restore
  • Move all my photos, videos, ringtones, downloads, documents etc. to my PC using USB3 cable
  • Take notes of which apps and widgets were on each page of my Launcher/Home screen

More detailed post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/607587-why-my-update-failing.html#post4932274