Sprint S5 issue incoming calls answering automatically!

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I was all excited when I got Lollipop this morning. However, SOMEHOW it just happened again.

I don't know what the heck I can do now.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's disheartening. Mine hasn't happened yet. But will advise if it does. If mine does it again I'm going to factory reset it. Will keep all posted.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok everyone, I upgraded to Lollipop and I love it BUT THE PHONE STILL ANSWERS AUTOMATICALLY! I was really hoping the update would squash this bug but it HASN'T! I guess I am going to take the plunge and do a factory reset... I really don't want to but not sure what else to do! Anyone else find a fix that be awesome! Some type of workaround would be VERY APPRECIATED! So bummed. I am going to be so pissed if I factory reset and the phone still does it! HELP US!!!!!

factory resetting now... will post back if it answers automatically... crossing my fingers.

UPDATE: I like that you can retrieve your call log and text message history factory resetting. This was not an option with the S4.

Last edited by a moderator:

CB DCMC

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I have Verizon and my S5 has been auto answering since July of last year. Vzw tech support has troubleshot phone, I have changed every possible setting thinkable, been sent 2 replacement phones, even transfered the S5 to my wife's line to make sure it wasn't just my line. Samsung is now in possession of my phone for the second time because they couldn't fix it right the first time. This is frustrating beyond belief. Fingers crossed when it comes back this time it will be fixed.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and my S5 has been auto answering since July of last year. Vzw tech support has troubleshot phone, I have changed every possible setting thinkable, been sent 2 replacement phones, even transfered the S5 to my wife's line to make sure it wasn't just my line. Samsung is now in possession of my phone for the second time because they couldn't fix it right the first time. This is frustrating beyond belief. Fingers crossed when it comes back this time it will be fixed.

My phone still does this after the factory reset. I have sprint sending me a new phone. Will advise if the new one does this.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Seems like all of the recurrence should be something to do with an app you have installed. I know there can be lemons and bugs in OSes but if you keep getting new phones and such, it seems like an app you have is creating the problem. Have you tried uninstalling your apps 1 by 1 and testing it out? I know I had a dialing issue tied to a 3rd party Google Voice app that was trying to take over my dialer (before Google restricted those apps last year) and it was preventing my phone from making calls at all, it would receive calls fine. I hadn't used the app after a few updates and ended up opening it up to check it, it popped up a dialer interjection question which I answered no, and my native dialer worked again perfectly.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first S5... I haven't gone through more than 1 yet; although people on this thread said their replacements still did it. It doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue... I think it's a bug... I haven't downloaded any apps when it started doing this. It really started happening after 4.4.4. and I thought 5.0 would squash the bug. Hoping the replacement phone will work. Getting it in 3 days. Will post back here with my results. Sucked a factory reset coudln't even fix it! I think Sprint knows about it though because I called and complained and they told me to use my Insurance and I said NO. I am not using it and paying money when this problem is not my fault. So Sprint easily said they will ship me a replacement phone free of charge! They must know what the real problem is; hence why they were so easily willing to ship me a replacement.

Phone STILL answers on it's own after the factory reset. Sprint agreed to send me a replacement free of charge (without having to go through insurance). Will post back if the new one does the same thing. It's sad because I read on Verizon support forums that is happening to them too and some people have gone through 3 phones! each one does it. It has to be widespread and its apparent it's not carrier specific. I think Sprint is well aware this is happening because they normally wouldn't be so willingly, so easily ok to send me a replacement for free. Hope this new one doesn't do it! will post back when I get the new phone in a few days.

Just-Us

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
im having the same exact problems and i just now upgraded to lollipop 5.0
"]THE PHONE STILL ANSWERS AUTOMATICALLY"
Galaxy s5

Last edited:

Jim So Cal

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I just joined this forum to report that I am having the same exact issue with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I am a Sprint customer - my phone is on the Sprint network. I have been all over the web trying to solve this, and this forum / thread seems to have good participation, so I thought I would contribute.

- I have only experienced the problem in my office - never at home or in my vehicles

- The problem happens on almost every call I receive in my office, regardless of who is calling me

- Until about 6 weeks ago, I never had the problem

From what I have read online, it seems like this is not a carrier problem, but a device problem. I also believe it has something to do with connecting to certain towers / networks.

I have owned several Samsung phones, and even have family who work for Samsung - but this might just be enough to make switch to Apple.

subdriver84

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I am in a house with three s5's and all three of these phones are answering on their own without connecting to the call. I tried once to bring it to a sprint store that was half and hour from my house, and I could not for the life of me replicate the problem that it was having. When I'm home, and call our phones from the lan line or another cell phone, the phones will answer on it's own. My phone was personally doing all the time, but it has slowed to maybe once every other call. I have a theory that these phones are weak to certain locations. I haven't pinpointed what the phones are weak to, but in certain areas, they will not answer on their own. I have no clue what to do about this, but it is absolutely infuriating. I really hope samsung can come out with some sort of fix for this.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input! I am still waiting on a replacement.. Sprint sent me a brand new phone and I will receive it tomorrow. I will be sure to post back if this new phone does it too. Could be hardware failure too. it's weird some phones do it and some don't.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I know it's a PITA (I just did one Friday) to do a factory reset, but have you done that and NOT loaded any apps from a backup, to see if from a basic level without any extra apps it still does it? Just trying to think if it still could be an app issue.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks TImmyTwo2. I am going to try the new phone with zero apps installed to see if it works... then I will install each app per day to see what one may be causing it... I don't think it's an app though because it would be more widespread... But it def could be! Anyone else have this aut answer issue I would delete all your apps... and see if it fixes it! If it does... start adding each app back one by one... once you do call your phone see if it does it etc. Please help! I am in limbo waiting for my phone. let me know and thanks to everyone's continuous support/feedback!

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok everyone, just got my brand new NOT refurbished Sprint S5.... I got home from work and it answered automatically. I can't believe it! It's very odd because it never does this at my work... it only seems to do it when I am at home. It was working fine I had my gf call it a few times at my home and it worked. The moment I connected to wifi and she called it answered on it's own/ Then I played with it more, turned off wifi it worked, then turned ON wifi and it WORKED? it's intermittent... I can't seem to figure out what the hell is triggering it! I am so bummed. SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW OR SOMEONE HAS TO FIGURE THIS OUT! I guess I am going to delete all my apps one by one and see if the problem persists... can others do this too to see what they come up with?

CB DCMC

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I know it's a PITA (I just did one Friday) to do a factory reset, but have you done that and NOT loaded any apps from a backup, to see if from a basic level without any extra apps it still does it? Just trying to think if it still could be an app issue.

My phone has now been repaired by Samsung twice, replaced by Verizon twice and reset to factory default too many times to count. Started in safe mode, switched to a different line, removed from the network and reinstalled all to no avail. Still auto answering. To top things off, just bought the wife a NEW S5 and right out of the box, yep autoanswering. Verrry frustrated.

Ok everyone, just got my brand new NOT refurbished Sprint S5.... I got home from work and it answered automatically. I can't believe it! It's very odd because it never does this at my work... it only seems to do it when I am at home. It was working fine I had my gf call it a few times at my home and it worked. The moment I connected to wifi and she called it answered on it's own/ Then I played with it more, turned off wifi it worked, then turned ON wifi and it WORKED? it's intermittent... I can't seem to figure out what the hell is triggering it! I am so bummed. SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW OR SOMEONE HAS TO FIGURE THIS OUT! I guess I am going to delete all my apps one by one and see if the problem persists... can others do this too to see what they come up with?

I have deleted all apps and done a factory default reset at the same time. Still auto answers.

sstlthy

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Found your thread while researching the same issue; however my phone is a Note 4 originally from T-Mobile now being used with Cricket. I'll be watching in case someone here finds a solution. :-\

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint Note 4 and mine has done that before, but now at times it just goes straight to voice mail. Tonight, my son got the message "this number is not accepting calls". I've checked all of my settings, cleared cache, rebooted etc. Will not do a factory reset until it is confirmed that is a fix. Texting works fine. Internet is fine. Don't use wifi, which is toggled off. On 4.4.4, stock and locked.

via The Note 4

Brittany Leo Munoz

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
factory resetting now... will post back if it answers automatically... crossing my fingers.

UPDATE: I like that you can retrieve your call log and text message history factory resetting. This was not an option with the S4.

Any luck? I just got my s5 about 2 weeks ago with my dad, me and my dad are having the same problem, we're both trying to find a fix :-/

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got a new phone. Brand new not refurb. It still does it. I can't figure out how to fix it. It seems to happen randomly at random places especially always happening at my home. And it's not carrier specific. It is happening on Verizon. I may just get S6 when it comes out but not sure. I wish someone could figure out some workaround. Or figure out the issue. I'll post back if I hear anything.

dunerunner

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
SOLVED - Re: Sprint S5 issue incoming calls answering automatically! - SOLVED

Was happening to me also, but only when my screen was off. After many calls, trips to store, etc, etc, etc I turned off the fingerprint lock and it stopped at once. If I any of the other screen locks types (Swipe, Pin, Pattern) are active, the phone still works fine. If the screen is on, even when the fingerprint lock is on and asking for me to slide finger it also works as it should.

Maybe someone else can bug hunt this one further, but for now I will just turn off the fingerprint scanner.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante