I have Galaxy S5 and the other night somebody knocked it out of my hand...it took quite a thud to the floor and since then, the screen is completely black. The phone still turns on and the bottom 2 lights are working and it rings when people call etc. I can't answer the phone though so I'm assuming the touch screen has broken. what I'm worried about is loosing all my pictures. Because the phone has a pattern lock on it, when I plug it into a computer it says that there are no files. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done about is?? If i send it off for repair will they clear the phone? I'm thinking if they just replace the screen then I still get to keep everything but assume they will still clear it? Please help!! Lesson learnt about not backing up :-(
    01-02-2015 07:52 PM
    1) The question in the topic is comparing apples and cars. The screen has nothing to do with the phone ringing.

2) If you find a local shop that's willing to replace the screen without wiping the data (they may make you sign a "we're not responsible for your data" waiver), you won't lose data. Most shops wipe the phone before doing anything else (we did it right in front of the customer), so you can't later claim that they stole your data, emptied your bank account, etc.

3) Always have all your data backed up. There are enough free cloud accounts these days that you could have 10 phones, including the ROMS, backed up for free. (Check them once in a while - I have some stuff still on the cloud from 4 or 5 years ago that I'll probably never look at again. I should delete it.) That way, if there's a problem with the phone, you want it wiped. Then when it's fixed you spend a couple of hours putting all the apps and data back on. (Back up your apps too - it's faster installing from a local backup [you should keep one copy of the entire backup on a local hard drive or large SD card] than over the air from the Google backup.)
    01-02-2015 08:04 PM
    I don't suppose that you already have MyPhoneExplorer installed do you?

If you do, then all you need to do is connect the USB cable and boot the same app on your PC.
    That app can access a phone w/o unlocking it and pull off all the files you want from the phone.

but, you must have it installed first.

Download => * MyPhoneExplorer works even when locked and can't access screen
    01-02-2015 09:11 PM
    Ok so replacing the screen doesn't necessarily mean that the data will be wiped just that they don't want to be liable for anything? So I know someone personally who can do it so guess that's worth doing? I know I've used Dropbox before but that got full up and I didn't even realise just assumed was still backing up. As I don't have my own laptop/tablet/computer etc it needs to all be backed up online. I do worry about others being able to access it all though? Or is it a completely safe?
    01-03-2015 06:00 AM