So I am switching to a Galaxy S5 from an iPhone 5s. I love both phones but I feel that it's time to move on from the basic iPhone.. I currently own a Mac and an iPad and I am worried that since I will no longer have an iPhone, I will no longer have the connectability between the 3 products (for example; when texting). Also, I am being told that since I am switching to a Samsung, I must turn off iMessage when leaving my phone. But I would still like to use it on my Mac and iPad. ALSO, I was wondering if the Samsung could connect to the "messages" app on the Mac since you are now able to send iMessages AND text messages.
    01-05-2015 08:48 AM
    not sure which carrier you use, but verizon has this application that is useful:

Verizon Messages - Verizon Wireless
    01-05-2015 10:44 AM
    On the iPhone - disconnect the iPhone only (not the Mac or iPad) from iMessaging. (They'll do it in a Genius Bar for you - just bring the phone in. It takes a few seconds.)

Everyone who's been messaging you to your iPhone (assuming you keep the same number) will have to send you at least one iMessage marked as SMS. That tells their phone that from now on, anything to or from your phone is SMS format, not iMessage format. (They're like 2 different languages.)

When texting, it goes to the phone number - you can't send an SMS to the phone and the Mac at the same time (unless the Mac has a phone number or someone has an app that does that). BTW, you can't send iMessages from or to any device not made by Apple. It's a proprietary format, and they're not releasing it for anyone else to use (and probably never will). Anyone using iMessage (like your Mac) has to send and receive SMS messages from and to Android devices.

@randomdude: The app only works for Verizon phone numbers. (I just tried it on a number never on Verizon and one ported out of Verizon and it won't accept either of them.) It's kind of what Sarah needs, but only if she's on Verizon.
    01-05-2015 11:10 AM