I'm new to the Android phone and I'm finding a few things that really annoy me.

Samsung apps, how do I stop them, along with google?

Thank goodness it only updates on wifi, but I don't use them and don't want them.

Please help.
    01-10-2015 06:11 AM
    Are you specifically singling out the Samsung brand apps, or apps in general?

All PlayStore apps can be stopped by logging into the PlayStore on the phone, open up the tab top left, (or just slide from Left to Right) and click on Settings. Then unclick Auto Update.

The phone itself has a place to stop System Updates which is the bottom category in "Settings" (the gear icon)

Samsung pushes out their own updates but I don't remember if they come thru the PlayStore or not. I have not seen one in so long, I can't remember when it was.

each of their apps that annoy you, for me it is "S Health", go into

Settings/Apps/Apps Manager/ALL

Find the app that bugs you and turn it OFF.

There is a faster way that accomplishes the same thing, open up the App Drawer (the square block of dots right side of the Command Bar at bottom of screen). Some liken this to the Task Bar in Windows OS.

Scroll thru those pages and locate "S Health", Long Press and drop it onto Uninstall/Trash/Disable (the exact name depends on if the app is on the ROM or was downloaded.
    01-10-2015 08:58 AM
    That Command Line on the bottom?

Since you are new, you may not be aware that you can change it also.

Long Press anything on that bar and slide it up onto a HomeScreen somewhere. I would keep it in sight until you decide it is a done deal. You can delete any of them later if you choose.

Then find the icon for something you like down their better, Long Press the new icon and drop it on the Command Line.

My personal preference is Left to Right.
    Dialer of my choice, Email of my choice, SMS app of my choice, Gear Icon (for settings), Block of Dots ) brings up the "App Drawer pages"

What are my personal choices for each of those items?
    Dialer is "exDialer" because it restores the Favorites view to a list, not a grid.
    * ExDialer - Dialer & Contacts - One I use

Email is Blue Mail because it interfaces with Yahoo so well, works like a desktop Windows app...
    * Blue Mail - Email App - Android Apps on Google Play

SMS messaging app is Textra. I like it because it is so configurable, Simplistic in operation, and never hiccups on me.
    * Textra SMS - Android Apps on Google Play

The other two items are basic to the phone's ROM.
    01-10-2015 09:08 AM
    root ur device and remove the Samsung apps
    01-12-2015 04:55 AM
    root ur device and remove the Samsung apps
    Ummm, not a good suggestion for someone who is brand new to Android.

an easy way to brick his phone unless he has some guiding hands to help him thru that risky step.

A good result yes, just not for a newbie to fool with.
    01-12-2015 08:15 AM
    I'm pretty much new to Android too. I did find that you can turn off the auto update option from within the 'Samsung Galaxy Apps' app. launch the app and on the top blue bar to the left are three lines =. tap there and then when the menu slides open from the left, tap on settings. The top section is 'Updates'. You can disable them here.

Cheers.

Malcolm Smith1 likes this.
    01-16-2015 04:03 AM
    Morning, on the Note 4, the S app which I like to keep;how do i disable it from upgrading. Id like to keep the version , the factory one in tact. TYVM in advance
    09-09-2015 08:14 AM
    It is realy annoying that a customer who paid for a device, can not easy set which of the pre-installed apps he wants to uninstall, or turn of auto update.
    Why to take off memory with apps that I do not use. For example Google Chrome (google is forcing-through everywhere) is taking about 100 MB. I could continue with Gmail, Youtube, Google Disk or such a stupidity
    (for me) like Cardio trainer. You can not uninstall it, like the apps you downloaded yourself (Eset, Bsplayer...)

The reason why I want to do this is, I do not have enought memory (1GB).
    Usually my phone says, not enought memory (16MB or so). So I can´t even see photos that I made. And I often need it. It is because of this "unwanted apps". The programs that I installed, take together not more than about 80 MB. So I did freed some MB by using CCleaner, always when I wanted to view photos.

First when I bought my Samsung X-Cover 2 three years ago, I did not updated the firmware software at all
    (I heared I do not need it and it will cost me memory). A month ago, I updated the firmware. I was astonished, when I foud out, that the firmware takes now FEW HUNDRED MB less than the old one. But then the apps (also those that I did not need) started to update, and the 300 MB memory I had were gone.

So I did try to stop update them. I did try it in setting of the phone. The unchecking of automatic updates did not work. It updates anyway.

So I did try it throught a preinstalled app "Galaxy Apps" (I did find it on this forum). I denyed it in the settings there. I uninstalled all unwanted updates, Ihad back 300 MB of the whole approx.1000 memory. But few days ago the updates stared again, and I do not know why (even the autoupdate in "Galaxy Apps" is stil unchecked).

Now I am trying a program "Android Assistant" (from "Play Store"). There in system is a feature to "kill on startup". I denyed the programs of which I know I do not want them. Except "Update of software" feature (I think, or hope, that it is the firmware software) it works already an hour. I hope that it stays this way !!!
    However the program runs always.

If it won´t, I will let somebody to do the "root of the phone" for me. I have enough of this already. It is geting me on my nerves arleady. It is ridiculous how much energy it takes, to solve such stupidities, just because of some strategy of manufacturer. (I am sure they know why they do this)

Thanks that I could post, what is on my mind.
    Tomas
    01-28-2017 07:36 AM
    It is realy annoying that a customer who paid for a device, can not easy set which of the pre-installed apps he wants to uninstall, or turn of auto update.
    Why to take off memory with apps that I do not use. For example Google Chrome (google is forcing-through everywhere) is taking about 100 MB. I could continue with Gmail, Youtube, Google Disk or such a stupidity
    (for me) like Cardio trainer. You can not uninstall it, like the apps you downloaded yourself (Eset, Bsplayer...)

The reason why I want to do this is, I do not have enought memory (1GB).
    Usually my phone says, not enought memory (16MB or so). So I can´t even see photos that I made. And I often need it. It is because of this "unwanted apps". The programs that I installed, take together not more than about 80 MB. So I did freed some MB by using CCleaner, always when I wanted to view photos.

First when I bought my Samsung X-Cover 2 three years ago, I did not updated the firmware software at all
    (I heared I do not need it and it will cost me memory). A month ago, I updated the firmware. I was astonished, when I foud out, that the firmware takes now FEW HUNDRED MB less than the old one. But then the apps (also those that I did not need) started to update, and the 300 MB memory I had were gone.

So I did try to stop update them. I did try it in setting of the phone. The unchecking of automatic updates did not work. It updates anyway.

So I did try it throught a preinstalled app "Galaxy Apps" (I did find it on this forum). I denyed it in the settings there. I uninstalled all unwanted updates, Ihad back 300 MB of the whole approx.1000 memory. But few days ago the updates stared again, and I do not know why (even the autoupdate in "Galaxy Apps" is stil unchecked).

Now I am trying a program "Android Assistant" (from "Play Store"). There in system is a feature to "kill on startup". I denyed the programs of which I know I do not want them. Except "Update of software" feature (I think, or hope, that it is the firmware software) it works already an hour. I hope that it stays this way !!!
    However the program runs always.

If it won´t, I will let somebody to do the "root of the phone" for me. I have enough of this already. It is geting me on my nerves arleady. It is ridiculous how much energy it takes, to solve such stupidities, just because of some strategy of manufacturer. (I am sure they know why they do this)

Thanks that I could post, what is on my mind.
    Tomas
    Hello and welcome to Android Central tomako SK!

I understand your frustrations regarding pre-installed apps.

You do not mention which of the 42 models of Samsung Galaxy S5 you have?

Some models, notably the hybrid carrier, minority variants, have so much added carrier bloatware that users lose an extra 1.5GB of internal storage and to make matters worse, they cannot be rooted.

Since the carrier and manufacturer bloatware is pre-installed in a /system partition, merely being rooted and uninstalling these apps does not generate any more space since the /system partition is pre-defined. The only way is to install a full, de-bloated, ROM that comes with a separate Google Apps, gapps, package from which you can cherry pick the apps that you require. The problem with this is that some carriers have created their own eco-systems and require their own carrier bloatware to be on the phone for it to function correctly on their networks.

For more information, see...

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    01-28-2017 09:29 AM
    Thanks for reply.

My phone is Samsung Xcover 2.

From my point of view as a laic user who is unacquainted with facts, you mentioned (In fact I am not sure if I did understand it all right) I have a question. Can´t be the Operating System constructed the way it is on PC ?
    In general you install programs and uninstall them as you wish. Of course no programs essential for system. But programs such Youtube, Gmail, Disk, ... are not essential for every one.

You say anyway It would not freed memory, by uninstalling those preinstalled apps. OK, but it takes memory by installing App. updates. Now I have few hundred MB more, when they aren´t updated.

Tomas
    01-28-2017 09:14 PM
    The Samsung S7710 Galaxy Xcover 2 is now almost 4 years old and on the old Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware. Since then, a lot of Google's apps have been made more configurable. However, as part of the deal for supplying the Android OS, they insist that their own apps come pre-installed and baked into the firmware. The good news is that unlike the xcover 2 which only has 1GB of internal memory for apps, newer phones such as the Galaxy S7 Edge have up to 64GB of built-in memory plus an external SD card slot for a further 256GB of memory and so space is not really an issue.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-28-2017 09:34 PM
    Can´t be the Operating System constructed the way it is on PC ?
    In general you install programs and uninstall them as you wish. Of course no programs essential for system. But programs such Youtube, Gmail, Disk, ... are not essential for every one.
    But remember that on a Windows PC, there are programs that you can't uninstall either (like Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge).
    ironass likes this.
    01-29-2017 02:26 AM