Why aren't my downloaded apps displaying in app list?

drunkitty

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded apps not displaying in app list

Just upgraded to S5 about a week ago and I'm finding that several of my downloaded apps are not showing up in the app list, including pre-installed apps like Kindle. Their accompanying widgets show up in the widget list, but the actual app icon is missing from the app list, the only way I can get to the app is either by adding the large widget to a home screen or by going into the playstore and searching for the app. I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but it doesn't work. In the case of the Kindle app I can't completely uninstall it since it's pre-loaded.

Any ideas other than reformat the phone completely?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downloaded apps not displaying in app list

Have you tried going to the app drawer to find the app? If it's not there, it's a widget, not a full app. If it's in the app drawer, just long-press it, then drag it to the homescreen.

If it doesn't show anywhere, either it only runs as a widget on your phone or it's only a widget, not an app. Just off the top of my phone's lists, Alarm and Assisted Light are two such widgets - there are no apps associated with them. You have to run them from a widget added to the homescreen.

drunkitty

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

As I said at the start of my post they are not in the app drawer, and they are apps that typically are available as apps (not just widgets), so far the apps that are missing are: Amazon Kindle and DoubleTwist.

The only widget that even lets me access the Kindle app is the the Amazon App Suite widget.

mikenzinbfe

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

i am having a similar issue. i've a moto x 2nd gen still on 4.4.4. i had a widget from before, used on my old phone. so i downloaded it a few days back not realizing my new phone's current software did what the old widget did. so i went to remove the widget and that's where it got interesting.

first removed it from my home screen, the only part of the process that went as expected. next went into settings. the "do not disturb" widget doesn't show under settings->apps, not under running, all, nowhere. so i couldn't uninstall it that way. i thought okay i'll just navigate back to that page in the playstore and click uninstall there BUT there is no uninstall button? it was as if i had never downloaded it?

so weird as it still shows with all my other widgets when i long press. i did for the heck of it try to download it again and then uninstall. i did then get an uninstall button (playstore page only) clicked on it but the darn widget is still there in my widget tray? i have even gone searching through my folders trying to find it but nothing yet?

i'm concerned as i've never not been able to remove or if preloaded at least disable an app or widget. any ideas because i am at a total loss having spent the past couple of hours troubleshooting. i especially don't want it on my device once the L update is rolled out.

any ideas, help much appreciated.

browneyez214

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site

Just upgraded to S5 about a week ago and I'm finding that several of my downloaded apps are not showing up in the app list, including pre-installed apps like Kindle. Their accompanying widgets show up in the widget list, but the actual app icon is missing from the app list, the only way I can get to the app is either by adding the large widget to a home screen or by going into the playstore and searching for the app. I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but it doesn't work. In the case of the Kindle app I can't completely uninstall it since it's pre-loaded.

Any ideas other than reformat the phone completely?