Trying to decide. S5 or lg g3.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I know this is the s5 section but I'd like some unbiased opinions of the two. Obviously a 1/2" bigger screen on the lg in almost the same footprint is nice. And it looks a hell of a lot nicer. It's the overheating issues I keep hearing about of the lg that scares me. I guess I'm looking for reliability info. Reviews and comparisons are great but don't often touch on long term reliability etc. Both phones seem amazing but I want the one that will have the least issues and be reliable. What issues will I be guaranteed to face with the s5 even with a good handset? S5 seems to have the better battery life which is no surprise with the lgs quad hd larger screen.
Any input would be great.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to decide. 5s or lg g3.

I would pick the G3. Reason is, the overheating issues are going to be found on a forum like ours. Most people don't come on a forum to say, 'Everything is good.' It's usually the other way around.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Golfdriver is right. You could probably be deterred from buying any phone through reading negative reports like that....they all have issues after all. I was in fact deterred for a while from buying the G3 when I was on the verge of doing so....went ahead and bought anyway....No problems with mine.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Every phone has issues. QHD doesn't necessarily mean worse battery life... The Note 4 has QHD and has excellent battery life, substantially better than the g3. Something to consider, if battery life is a major concern. It also runs cooler.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. I had narrowed my choices down to either the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and LG G3. I nixed the M8 after seeing pictures taken with it's 4MP camera. They looked great for nighttime shots but daytime shots lacked detail and were generally just OK, no better than my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet (which has just a 5MP shooter on the back). I mainly take photos in well-lit areas so I decided against the M8.

I played with both the G3 and S5 before making my decision to buy the S5. Here are the initial reasons I went with it over the G3:
1. I think the S5's screen looks better when it comes to color reproduction. The resolution of both phones are already extreme so pixel densities really don't matter. The size of the G3's display is nice but I preferred the way colors looked on the S5.

2. The S5 has better battery life.

3. The S5 is water resistant. I work in a water research lab so this is crucial for me. I take advantage of this feature on a daily basis even when I'm at home. I no longer have to buy a $90 case just to worry about my phone getting splashed with water.

4. There are more accessories that are easier to buy for the S5. I can walk into any electronics store, Walmart, Target, or cell shop in my area and have a choice between at least 10 cases for my S5. I have to specifically go online or to a Verizon store to find more than 2 case selection for the G3.

5. The S5 has dedicated buttons for the task manager, home, and back functions. I don't want virtual buttons on my smartphone at this point and Samsung is one of the only companies to continue using physical buttons. I like that. I know it's not the direction that Google is pushing towards but I wanted (and still want) a smartphone with those physical buttons.

Those are the reasons why I initially chose the S5 over the G3. I can't really say that I have had buyer's remorse except now I want an even bigger smartphone (even bigger than the G3). I have really only experienced two issues with my S5 after owning it for 8 months now. The first issue was with Bluetooth audio playback. It was stuttering no matter what app I used to playback audio with. I tried Samsung's music player (which is absolutely terrible), the Google Play Music app, Poweramp, and a few others. I later found out that the Verizon version was specifically having a bunch of Bluetooth audio problems. The update to Android 4.4.4 helped fix that and Verizon/Samsung later released a patch specifically addressing Bluetooth audio. I haven't really had any problems since that update.

The second issue is with the S5's charger. It uses a micro USB 3.0 connection and Samsung put a cover over it. The cover is annoying to open and it now refuses to close on my fiance's S5. I know someone else with an S5 and they just removed the cover all together. I haven't had any other long-term issues come up.

There were some other, smaller issues too like Samsung's software and pre-installed Verizon apps but all of them can be removed or disabled. The only thing that can't completely be disabled is TouchWiz but using a different launcher pretty much eases that pain.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Btw, I edited the title from 5s to s5. I am assuming that that was what the OP meant

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Btw, I edited the title from 5s to s5. I am assuming that that was what the OP meant

Oops. Yes, I meant s5, thanks.

And thanks to everyone for all of the fast input so far. Much appreciated.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Both phone should be fine but I would go with S5. It has better screen (except resolution), battery life, faster graphic performance. Camera quality seems about the same but S5 gives more settings to play with. G3 has better looking body and UI though. On S5, make sure to turn off S-voice and My magazine and it should feel fast enough with minimal lag if any.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Love the s5 but currently using an LG g2 so I will say get the g3. I feel like LG gives you a little more customization ability without rooting like moving dock icon, etc. Both are awesome devices.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
LG G3 hands down. I had a s5 for a week and it's boring. Huge screen, great hands on feel, small bezels and the feel of a small phone with a big phone experience. Smooth interface, great camera, battery is OK. Screen resolution will blow s5 away. Look on YouTube comparing s5 to g3 you can see specs and other opinions as well! I have a samsung tab but the phones made of plastic feel cheap in the hands Idk why. The brush metal on g3 feels better. When samsung makes metal gakaxy s series it'll be a competition

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I had G3 for a while before trading it with my s5. If you are into gaming, dont buy the g3. The S801 is no strong enough to push the quad hd in g3 for gaming. It lags like hell when gaming.

Rok Svab

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Both phones are great! I would advise you S5, so far no serious problems with mine. I trust more Samsung then LG in the way of quality. I've been using iPhone, BlackBerry,... But love my S5 most...

Posted via Android Central App

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Screen resolution will blow s5 away.

But that doesn't matter. The resolution of a phone doesn't matter once a pixel density of ~350 is reached. The S5 has a pixel density of 432 ppi and the G3 has a pixel density of 534 ppi. Both of those are above and beyond what the human eye can see so it doesn't matter unless you are holding your phone 2 inches away from your face. The G3 is also plastic just like the S5. They treated it to somewhat feel like metal but it's plastic through and through.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
But that doesn't matter. The resolution of a phone doesn't matter once a pixel density of ~350 is reached. The S5 has a pixel density of 432 ppi and the G3 has a pixel density of 534 ppi. Both of those are above and beyond what the human eye can see so it doesn't matter unless you are holding your phone 2 inches away from your face. The G3 is also plastic just like the S5. They treated it to somewhat feel like metal but it's plastic through and through.

Yes they are both plastic but I think as well as I have also heard the s5 feels cheap. I have a tab s 8.4 and I don't think that feels cheap and it's made of plastic it was just something about the s5 build that I disliked. I'm entitled to an opinon lol this is my first LG phone I swore my Samsung before having this. I'm not saying the s5 is a bad phone I'm saying I prefer the LG and am sharing my consensus with someone who is deciding. And idc what u say the screen resolution on this blows the s5 away lol. The new note has a sick display but the s5 did not impress me at all.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading that the G3 doesn't have great battery life and that the colors on screen are muted/dull. Between the 2 phones I'd go with the S5.

We know it has a great screen
We know it has a great camera
We know it's waterproof
We know it's fast (just last Friday I read a review saying the G3 had some small annoying lags)
We know it has great battery life
We know accessories for it are abundant both via retail and online (even more-so than the G3)

The G3 is still a nice flagship but unless you really want that 5.5" QHD screen (that is indeed a battery vampire in the G3's case) I'd go with the S5.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I had G3 for a while before trading it with my s5. If you are into gaming, dont buy the g3. The S801 is no strong enough to push the quad hd in g3 for gaming. It lags like hell when gaming.

Good point. If G3 had S805, I probably would have gone with it instead of S5. All the graphic benchmarks show G3 is dog in this area due to S801 powering QHD resolution. Battery life is hurt by this too. If I really wanted QHD, I would have gotten Note 4 but it's too big for me.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess other than the screen on the G3 that interested me was the knock on feature. I have a 2013 moto x right now and the active notifications are awesome as well as not having to hit a button to unlock the screen.
I think I am leaning heavily toward the s5. The only other contender may be the one M8. It's beautiful, and quite frankly I find the S5 ugly as sin. I prefer the proportions of the s5 better though. However, I plan to put a spigen neo case on the S5 anyway which looks fantastic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech