I have an S5 under Verizon and I haven't received the Lollipop update yet. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to root before he comes out or wait until after the update?
    01-16-2015 01:12 PM
    If you don't have a need to be rooted then there is no reason to root now or later.
    01-16-2015 01:37 PM
    I do NOT see the need to root the VZW S5 in the first place.

And I hope to gawd that VZW never releases a LolliFlop version.

This conversation should be in the root area anyway.

But, if you wait, you will have to wait longer because the root folks will have to take into consideration that it has LolliFlop on it already.

Most of the phones I see rooted are using 4.4.2 as it is faster and more stable.
    01-16-2015 01:38 PM
    Ok, thanks.. I'm noob here so wasn't sure where to post it.
    01-16-2015 02:10 PM
    Thank you, AZgl1500, for naming the new version properly. I love it. (I'm getting slow in my dotage, or I would have thought of it long ago.)

Athru, if you need root for some reason, wait for the update (and then wait for someone to figure out how to root that version). The update will stop (you'll get a notice that it failed - it didn't, it succeeded - in not risking bricking your phone by updating a rooted phone) at about 25% if the phone is rooted. Then you'll have to flash a stock (unrooted) ROM to update, then root again.

If you really need root at this point, of course, root it. But it's not going to change anything (other than allowing you to run apps that need to be rooted, which you aren't doing now). But as far as I've seen, the only root for Verizon for 4.4.4 is going to trip Knox, and that voids the warranty. (AT&T is the same, which is why I'm still running 4.4.2 - I do need root, for a lot of things - not the least of which is the utter obscenity of running Linux with su missing.)
    01-16-2015 04:17 PM
    Rukbat,

I have tried many times to learn Linux simply because I wanted the utter control that it allows a programmer. Back then, I was doing my own programming in machine code on the 6800 series, and 6500 series CPUs. Shifting bits left and right and so forth. A hex to decimal calculator was/is my best friend. The best one was made by Radio Shack model EC-4075,
    http://mycalcdb.free.fr/main.php?l=0&id=2082

I still have 3 of them. I bought 3 because I recognized it would be extinct in about 6 months and I wanted a spare in case mine broke. None of them broke...

Then back in the '90s, my job changed from a Pipeline company communications job, to a Windows house government controlled institution (fire department, city of Phoenix).... I was forced to learn Windows deeply, and at home, I had to use Windows in order to tunnel into our network in the office.

Working in the 911 dispatching arena, our IT folks carried the Security Blanket so deep, I just gave up on messing with Linux. It would take too much of my time to learn it in depth. Being on call 24/7 with a pager on your hip, two cell phones tied to your belt.....

sigh! that was four years ago now that I hung up that belt w/18 years civil service on 30 Dec 2010 after going full time in 1958 in communications for pipeline companies.

The very first time that I read some really in depth articles on the foibles of LolliFLOP, that name hit my lips so fast............ and it stuck with me.

I pray to God, I never have to let it install on my S5. but, that might be a moot point, Verizon FORCED the 4.4.4 and its' two "fixes" after that while I was punching the NO button.... nay you stupid user,
    WE WILL MAKE YOU EAT 4.4.4 and learn to like it....
    01-16-2015 04:35 PM