Samsung s5 battery drain Lollipop

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
does clearing the cache remove anything (ie messages or pics)?
Thanks
also, any idea on release of 5.0.2
i have an s5 on verizon and battery drains much more rapidly than kitkat and it overheats constantly.
thanks

Clearing the cache will NOT remove your data. However, a Factory Reset will. I have a Nexus 5 so I can not tell you when 5.0.2 will be out for S5. One thing that can resolve battery drain is a factory reset. And if the heating issue is being caused by high battery drain then that could be resolved also. Of course the overheating could be cause by a battery going bad, you could try a replacement battery.

Jeremy Lauseng

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. I updated to Lolipop about 1-1.5 months ago. Prior I would get 16 hours or more of battery life with regular use. Now I'm lucky to get 4 hours. I thought that my battery may just be old, as I purchased the phone about 8 months ago. Purchased brand new OEM battery, and still no change. Placed a post on android twitter page. They passed it on to my cell carrier. Neither want to claim or admit that there may be an issue.

RJenkos

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Google brought me here.

I'm also experiencing the battery drain / warm phone issues. Before I would plug my phone in at night with still 30% or so left. Now I have to boost my phone in the afternoon for 30 minutes or so just to be at critical battery when I plug it in at night. I also noticed the phone takes MUCH longer to charge now. I couldn't sleep last night so I picked my phone up. After 4 hours of charging it was only at 80%. Normally it would be fully charged by then.

Auto screen brightness has been ruined for me too. It's always too dim now.

I've tried the cache clear and will see how that works.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Google brought me here.

I'm also experiencing the battery drain / warm phone issues. Before I would plug my phone in at night with still 30% or so left. Now I have to boost my phone in the afternoon for 30 minutes or so just to be at critical battery when I plug it in at night. I also noticed the phone takes MUCH longer to charge now. I couldn't sleep last night so I picked my phone up. After 4 hours of charging it was only at 80%. Normally it would be fully charged by then.

Auto screen brightness has been ruined for me too. It's always too dim now.

I've tried the cache clear and will see how that works.

Factory reset worked for me as clearing the cache did not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Karen Mills

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I did a full factory reset. Reset everything up the way it was and it worked fine initially. I then noticed it started running exceptionally hot and using the battery at a ridiculous rate. Frankly - Google and Samsung need to do a little better.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I did a full factory reset. Reset everything up the way it was and it worked fine initially. I then noticed it started running exceptionally hot and using the battery at a ridiculous rate. Frankly - Google and Samsung need to do a little better.

How long after the reset did you notice it running hot and draining fast? This just started happening with mine a couple of days ago, after running just fine..

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How long after the reset did you notice it running hot and draining fast? This just started happening with mine a couple of days ago, after running just fine..

Check to see if there is another update for you to apply. I had two for Lollipop the second one being right after the first. Second update seems to help with battery life as well as doing the factory reset.

Last edited:

Skeediddley

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Hello distant S5 cousin! I am from Note 4 land. Google sent me here.

I too am running Lollipop (the German 5.01 Rom), and I too had great performance until a couple of days ago, when I woke up to find my Note had chewed through my battery overnight. Since then I have disabled everything and wiped everything, culminating in me running entirely in safe mode all day today. Essentially my Note now has the functionality of a NOKIA 8210. This hasnt made any difference and "Android OS" is still happily eating away at my battery. You can read about my adventures here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...insomniac-note-too-many-sugary-lollipops.html

I am assuming that, seeing as it cannot be blamed on any other rogue app (Safe mode takes them all out) and I've disabled everything else, this is a bug that Google has introduced which affects some of us samsungers?

Naturally, we cant be sure, but we're not alone. I see a few others here in S5 land who have suddenly and inexplicably had a dent in battery in the last couple of days.

Apologies to S5ers for the gatecrashing. Me and my pen will now leave ;)

franklyray

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am tired "stopping" apps I don't use that seem to run every time I start the S5. Is there an app to keep these apps from loading? It is a 10 minute process every morning that I don't have.

ms-miki

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Had a few problems after initial Lollipop install. Did all the recommended-clear cash, hard reboot, etc. It improved a few things, but recently my phone gets extremely hot, even get the "cool down" message. Battery dies in hours. My friend has same problem and after uninstalling Facebook, she has had no problems. First I just "stopped" the application and my phone was much cooler and longer battery. But restarted automatically after using Contacts and the drain and heat started right back up so I am uninstalling as well. Also saw the same info on other websites. If uninstalling Facebook works for so many, it would seem that is the problem. Hope a fix can be found.

UPDATE - After a day without Facebook no longer overheating to point where you could not even touch screen But only slight Improvement in battery drain time

Last edited:

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one that's been loosing battery life after Lollipop. Checked for updates since the 3rd, nothing there. I guess I'll try a factory reset...

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
is it me or is the s5 battery getting ****tier and ****tier

i used to get a day but now......

starting to hate battery on the s5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-12-22-32-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-12-22-32-30.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2015-04-12-22-32-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-12-22-32-27.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 29

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
My s5 was actually going great on Lollipop until recently when it the battery drains fast with screen on (5-6 % in a matter of minutes). Checked battery stats with Gsam and nothing out of ordinary. My android OS is high (17% or higher) but all other apps are almost insignificant in Battery usage. I did install MI Fit for the MI Band and have enabled the notifications but the battery stats show it as using, at most 2% battery.

Zulfiqar Sohaib

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I habe tried even the factory reset, doesnt make any difference. My S5 is hardly 1 month old, and i had to do data reset like 3 4 times during this period because of this battery draining problem. It works fine for a few days after every reset and then starts acting weirdly again. I dont have any games or apps, just whatsapp viber and skype, thats all i have. Have disabled most of the google and samsung apps, power saving mode remains on the whole time, location set to power saving, synch allowed only for live and gmail, still it isnt lasting more than 12 13 hours. I never had an android phone, was using a windows phone before S 5 and The phone came with lollipop, and for the first few days, with all the apps running and without even turning the power saving mode on, it was giving me a battery time of almost 2 days. but then, I dont know how it got the qmm-camera-daemon bug and i had to do a factory reset to get rid of it. since then things have been downhill. every second day it has some bug, some app stop working and as i told before, I have done the factory data resetlike 4 times during the one month I have used this fone, the latest just today morning, and nothing's fixed.

Ihazterbo

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Once the new uodate happened actually getting better battery then I once was. However I usually clear everything out and leave nothing up and running but also did that before the update. Before uodate my battery would last around maybe 9 hours. Worth up date I'm getting close to 20 hours.

Dan McTaggart

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. I ended up backing up all my data and doing a factory reset (doesn't revert back to KitKat - clean Lollipop only). It solved the OS problem (was using a large percentage of the battery just like the picture posted by another user). Anyways, my phone was getting extremely hot and the battery was still draining (although not as quick). I disabled all the Amazon apps and a few others (Amazon, Amazon app suite, Kindle, Amazon MP3, IMDb, NFL Mobile (Verizon), and Softcard). I'm no longer having the issue. Honeslty, I think it was the Softcard app, but seeing as how I don't use any of the others, I went ahead and disabled them also.

I was getting extraordinary battery drain with screen using 114% of battery!
Turned off Settings>Display>Smart Stay
Screen now using 7% of battery.
The Android system battery numbers are also down to normal.

The S5 is still quite warm, however.

Update: heat problem solved
Noticed 249MB mobile data usage and 7GB WIFI usage on Noroot Firewall for Android.
Forced stop on Noroot Firewall and device immediately cooled down.

Last edited:

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
quite satisfied with mine

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-08-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-08-05.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-08-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-08-00.jpg