Verizon announcement

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This announcement was posted on Android authority. For your information only. I was promised a extension of my data plan from 500 mg bytes to 1 gigabyte . It has not shown up on my app model. Verizon explains that I was on a previous promotion and until that expires,(2 days) it won't take effect. For your information.

Verizon Wireless Logo
Not only limited in quantity but still in usage time as well.
When dealing with fixed allocations of monthly data usage, conceivably, a conscientious customer will ration their consumption in the first part of the month, and may inadvertently find themselves with an abundance of packet communications remaining for the latter half. In a typical situation, this is all-but-wasted. When T-Mobile announced that it was going to be allowing users to “roll-over” their data into the following month via its Data Stash service, it seemed like a breath of fresh air; all the more so when AT&T followed suit.

Verizon Wireless, however, has no intention of giving its customers this benefit, nor does it care how many (if any) people defect out of disgust. The company’s Chief Financial Officer, Fran Shammo, was quoted in an interview this past Thursday as saying, “We’re a leader, not a follower.” The CFO then further hammered in the point by adding that, “We did not go to places where we did not financially want to go to save a customer… and there’s going to be certain customers who leave us for price, and we are just not going to compete with that because it doesn’t make financial sense for us to do that.” Bold words, to be sure, but then again given the company’s recent performance results, it can afford to make such claims.

Posted via the Android Central App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I get mad every time I hear that commercial! Hadn't really thought of it till I heard, "you PAY for (3GB) and then they take what you don't use away from you at the end of the month". Well YES they do! How rude!
How/why were you promised an extension of your data plan?

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So defect plain and simple, Verizon wireless has a far supior overall network they turned around and invested heavily in there network inferstructure while the others tried the cheap way around thus they have the network reliabilty to back up these statements.they are still the nuumber one overall customer based provider for just this reason

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
GM used to think like this and look where it led them.

Verizon has the best network at the moment but nothing is forever when it comes to technology. Other providers will catch up, and some people (like me) have very long memories. I won't shed a tear if they're filing for chapter 11 someday.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you want roll-over data, there are carriers that offer it.

In most cases, that is so cost prohibitive it is unaffordable simply because you have get new phones for the new carrier.

I have been with Verizon for 20 years, and they eventually always "almost come up to par" with everyone else.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been with Verizon for 20 years, and they eventually always "almost come up to par" with everyone else.

Yep, I've been with Verizon since back when they were Bell Atlantic Mobile (at least around here). My first cellphone was in the late 80's, and it was one of those bag phones. My first hand-held was a Motorola StarTAC, which I still have. My only defection was for a year when I had a company-provided phone sometime around 2001, but I went right back once that was over. I likely will never switch carriers unless they do something obscenely stupid.

That said, I'm about to dump the entire FiOS package because the price is no longer competitive, so who knows.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So defect plain and simple...

Exactly. Jump ship if you don't like it. You might have to wait a while (i.e. contracts) but it can still happen. I also don't understand why people are really complaining because the wireless companies have always allotted a certain data amount on a monthly basis. The contracts clearly state that the data is resent at the end of the billing cycle. T-Mobile's carryover is somewhat nice for people who don't use that much of their data. As for me, I normally end the month with 100-200MB. Big whoop. That would expire after 12 months under T-Mobile and at&t anyway. So I would have an extra 1.2-2.4GB at the end of a year, that's not really going to save me much and even that would expire.

My biggest complain with companies like T-Mobile is that they push things like these. They offer rollover data, they were one of the first to ditch contracts, they had reduced phone price plans without signing a 2-year contract, etc. That's all fine and dandy but there's one thing clearly missing: making a bigger and more reliable network. Like it or not, Verizon still has the best wireless network out there. I currently live in Southern Ohio and my normal daytime LTE speeds are between 35-45Mbps. That increases during the nights and in the mornings to around 60Mbps (I'm in an "XLTE" market).

I can then visit back home (Southern NM, about 30 miles from the U.S.-Mexican border) and still receive a solid 20-35Mbps LTE signal. That's in a little podunk city. I get LTE on the highway down there, 15 miles off the highway where my old house is, even out in the desert a good 50 miles from the highway. However, the other carriers are just atrocious down there and where I live. T-Mobile can't even provide a solid connection in my office and they only provide 2G/EDGE in NM, Sprint also has issues with my office building and they provide 3G up to 2 miles off the highway in NM (it switches to a sporadic 2G/EDGE after that), and at&t is OK in my office building (still not as solid as Verizon) while providing some LTE in a city an hour away from podunk NM but still only 3G on the highway and extremely slow 2G everywhere else.

Personally, I would rather have service that works with solid speeds no matter where I travel than rollover data. I guess at the end of the year I would have at least 349857GB of rollover data because I couldn't access it through T-Mobile's network anyway.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I manage the phones for my company and right now I have about 60 lines with Verizon which most of the contracts are up in April.. I have another 40 with Sprint which still has about one year left on the contracts..

My goal is to be contract free within the next year....I am experimenting with some of the pre-paid carriers and there are some good ones out there. I have a line on Net10 and it is $40 per month... I have a $150 Blu WIN HD on it and it works great.. I had a Boost Mobile phone that also worked great.... The days of the subsidized phone and two year marriage are coming to an end...

it is all about coverage.. They all work on the Big 4 networks.. so find the one that works the best in your area and you are good to go..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
GM used to think like this and look where it led them.

Verizon has the best network at the moment but nothing is forever when it comes to technology. Other providers will catch up, and some people (like me) have very long memories. I won't shed a tear if they're filing for chapter 11 someday.

The thing is that verizon had such a huge head start it will be years, if ever that others catch up. verizon has been spending billions year in and year out to expand their network, and even though they may not have the fastest speeds, the coverage 99% of the time can't be beat. I would love to switch to TMO and save some $$, but with traveling, verizon can't be beat.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Verizon mobile for 16 years. Home phone for 33 years. I KNOW I can defect. I have no intention of leaving Verizon (at this point) but that doesn't keep me from wishing I had rollover data!

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that verizon had such a huge head start it will be years, if ever that others catch up. verizon has been spending billions year in and year out to expand their network, and even though they may not have the fastest speeds, the coverage 99% of the time can't be beat. I would love to switch to TMO and save some $$, but with traveling, verizon can't be beat.

True, but I live in a major metropolitan area, and everyone's coverage is saturated here. I might notice it on a trip, but that's about it.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
just like my avatar looks, I live in a very rural area. Go north and east and I loose all signals.

go south and they get stronger and finally saturate as I get close to the metro areas.

Just 3 miles from my house, I can drop off into ravines and barely get 1x reception. forget about any data, just won't work.

3g is pretty much a joke for any useful data. Newspaper pages take forever to load up because of all the images they have on nearly every story now.

4g gives me something like 25 mBps in the bad spots to about 50 mBps close to metro areas.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In most cases, that is so cost prohibitive it is unaffordable simply because you have get new phones for the new carrier.

They line up with the other guys when it's beneficial to them. I don't see roll-over data being something they feel they'd need to move to in the next six months.