Think I need to root and custom rom. Ideas please?

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Amazing hardware let down by [removed by Moderator] software sums up this phone for me. Lollipop 5.0 is buggy and add TW on top = rubbish. I am aware I will trip the Knox counter but am fed up with this performance.

Where do I start? Do ROMS like CM, Paranoid Android etc exist for the S5?

Last edited by a moderator:

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That sux.. I hope 5.0 is worth the wait. I've been looking forward to it but if its not fully polished I (nor my S5) definitely don't want to become a beta tester..
I've seen a few Roms on XDA forums, probably your best bet if there's not much in this forums root & ROM section.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh I know what XDA is like, manners are lacking over on that forum. If I asked this question over there you can be sure of a smart answer.
I can assure you that your treatment will be much more polite and respected here at Android Central. :)

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed :)
Did you find anything interesting? I'm holding off on rooting my s5 till my warranty is out of date. Then its time to try some custom Roms ;). Maybe by then more devs will be cranking out some interesting variations by the boat load like what was available for the old S2....

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I can assure you that your treatment will be much more polite and respected here at Android Central. :)

Ive been an active member on XDA for years in the TF101 section, great devs, great members, I stepped foot into the S5 section of their forums to ask about rooting and was immediately attacked by 2 members and a mod and my completely reasonable posts asking which firmware I needed to use (I posted in the firmware thread), were deleted.... because I posted in the wrong thread

Weird, where I come from, when I am asking about firmware, the first place I would think to ask would be in the firmware thread... apparently not

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
This is kind of why I froze updates and stuck with KitKat. That rooted and with xposed framework makes a really nice setup imo. I had a custom rom on my d2 but this s5 setup is just as nice. Good luck with your customization. I'll be interested in seeing what you go with.

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't surprise me, I only use XDA for questions as a last resort as they are so damn rude over there.

On the subject of ROMS etc may be its just me but there is not a lot of support, Only an alpha of Cyanogen, no Paranoid Android etc

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I have an account at XDA, but I've only ever asked for specific support for an app or rom in that app or ROMs specific thread, so I'd never had to deal much with the general population. I do like this forum though. Everyone's really pleasant. If I wanted to get jumped on I'd just go to work. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22