Camera only. S5 VS Iphone6????

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Currently I have an S3 that has been a good phone, but the time has finally come to upgrade. At first I wanted the S5, now I am leaning towards the iphone 6 based on the camera along. I go to a few hockey games and I watch people with Iphone's and the camera just seems to kick the hell out of mine, and it makes me question the S5.

Can anyone give me a direct comparison between the 2. Both speed, focus speed and photo quality. Mostly in terms of sports and kids.

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Iphone wins in every category. Switching from iPhone to the S5, the camera is single biggest disappointment with the S5. It's slow (good luck taking quick pictures of your kids) and has trouble focusing. You'll hit the button to take a picture and nothing happens until the 3rd tap. I could go on and on...

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Iphone wins in every category. Switching from iPhone to the S5, the camera is single biggest disappointment with the S5. It's slow (good luck taking quick pictures of your kids) and has trouble focusing. You'll hit the button to take a picture and nothing happens until the 3rd tap. I could go on and on...
Wow stop being so biased. S5 camera wins against iphone in daylight and good lighting. Iphone 6 wins in lowlight. Each phone has its own strength. No need to be biased :)

And I think you are getting a defective device. The autofocus in the s5 is super fast.

Posted via the Android Central App

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I will have to say I'm disappointed in my s5 Camara too. The slow mo setting alone makes me want the iphone6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
There's no bias. I like my S5 over the iphone for many reasons, but the camera is not one of them. It is quite simply inferior. Just do a quick google search for s5 camera comparison to iphone and it'll back me up.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
It is all about preference. I love photos that are high in contrast and I dont really care if the photos are saturated as long as they look brilliant. If you want a photo with true color reproduction, go with the iphone

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
If you Google, reviews or comparison mobile phone cameras, there are a few sites that do an in depth reviews and comparison of mobile phone cameras. A couple of them are actual professional photographer sites. Look at the reviews and make your decision.

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
There's no bias. I like my S5 over the iphone for many reasons, but the camera is not one of them. It is quite simply inferior. Just do a quick google search for s5 camera comparison to iphone and it'll back me up.

No

S5 destroys iPhone 6 in daylight

Iphone 6 wins in low light

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no lag problems on my S5 camera. Make sure you have picture stabilization turned off or it definitely will take forever. Once that is turned off, the S5 camera is just as quick as my iphone camera.

I honestly like both cameras. The S5 camera will need tweaking to get it the way you want it, and the iphone camera works great on all auto settings right out of the box. I wouldn't worry about the camera. I would go with the actual phone and OS you prefer.

As someone else said, if camera and only camera is your thing, then you need to go Lumia 1020.

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I would not say camera is the only thing, but it is important. Items like email, text, phone...etc all have the same basic functionality. Apps between the 2 are available and work the same basic way.

I actually did read a couple reviews but it is always mice to hear it first hand.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
One thing to consider: Samsung's media event for MWC is less than a month away (March 1st) so you might as well wait until then before making any decision. There really is no point in getting an S5 now when it's going to be replaced in a couple of months. Plus HTC is also having an event that day when they're expected to announce a successor (or two) to the One M8. Both will likely feature improvements to the cameras that their smartphones use.

As for the question at hand, it's something that is really up to preferences. In my experience, outdoor daytime shots with the S5 tend to be more detailed with natural colors. I can take a picture of a dog and digitally zoom in on the subject to see individual hairs that don't blend together. The hairs will somewhat blend together with an iPhone 6/6 Plus while the colors will be more blown out. Same with well-lit shots, the S5 is going to have a tad more detail and accurate colors compared to the iPhone 6/6 Plus. It does take a bit to notice the differences and some people don't even notice them. Some people even prefer the more saturated photos the iPhone 6 takes just like how some people prefer the more saturated AMOLED display that the S5.

Night shots are a no brainer though, the iPhone 6 pretty much takes the cake. The S5 can take decent night/low light shots especially with the anti-motion blur enabled but they aren't as good as the iPhone 6. Just keep in mind that we are talking about smartphones here. My compact point-and-shoot Sony digital camera (10.1MP) takes better day and night shots than either my S5 or my friend's iPhone 6 and it's almost a 5-year-old camera at this point.

Either way, I would wait and see what both Samsung and HTC have up their sleeves. You may also want to consider the LG Flex 2 which has a really fast camera and takes some pretty good night shots (if that's important). For me, I realized that only 15-20% of my pictures were low-light/night shots so I didn't really care about that when I picked up my S5. I knew that I would bring my compact mirror-less camera with me for any low-light/night shots anyway.

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had the S5 for about 6-7 months now. Overall I'm not happy with it. Crashes a lot, and freezes up. The phone has some cool features, but it just doesnt operate all that well. Pictures taken are terrible. Most pictures I take with a camera phone are in doors, so that leaves mine pretty useless. I'll definitely be going back to an iPhone when I'm done with this. Overall quality isn't near the same as my experience with apple.

throssel

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I love the camera. It is capable of taking AMAZING outdoor photos. Some of the features are really cool. Inside, the pictures are still capable of being clear but are more on the grainy side. It can sometimes be slow to open up, but overall I would say the camera has been a pretty great experience for me.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Overall quality isn't near the same as my experience with apple.

My experience has been completely the opposite. I liked my iPhone 5 when I first picked it up (a week after launch) but it couldn't hold onto an LTE signal. Apple replaced it but the issue never quite went away. The battery life drastically decreased after the first 10 months of owning it, I had to charge my iPhone on my way home from work everyday as the battery would get down to 10% during an 8 hour workday (without doing much on the phone). The update to iOS 7 made things way too slow for my liking and the color scheme (I think TouchWiz is just as bad) looks like it was from a kindergarten bedtime story book. My experience with the iPhone 5 (along with the constant problems my boss had with his) was enough to deter me away from Apple.

My experiences with my S5 haven't been perfect either but at least Android 5.0 actually sped up my phone whereas iOS 7 did the opposite for my iPhone. I do miss some of the things about my iPhone, mainly compatibility with Bluetooth audio devices. I don't miss having to shell out $500 on contract just to get a phone with a decent amount of storage.

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My experience has been completely the opposite. I liked my iPhone 5 when I first picked it up (a week after launch) but it couldn't hold onto an LTE signal. Apple replaced it but the issue never quite went away. The battery life drastically decreased after the first 10 months of owning it, I had to charge my iPhone on my way home from work everyday as the battery would get down to 10% during an 8 hour workday (without doing much on the phone). The update to iOS 7 made things way too slow for my liking and the color scheme (I think TouchWiz is just as bad) looks like it was from a kindergarten bedtime story book. My experience with the iPhone 5 (along with the constant problems my boss had with his) was enough to deter me away from Apple.

My experiences with my S5 haven't been perfect either but at least Android 5.0 actually sped up my phone whereas iOS 7 did the opposite for my iPhone. I do miss some of the things about my iPhone, mainly compatibility with Bluetooth audio devices. I don't miss having to shell out $500 on contract just to get a phone with a decent amount of storage.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I've had quite a few iPhones over the years. Typically I had a generation or 2 behind what was current. Not sure what provider you have, but with a contract with at&t is only $200 for a current new iphone. The only time I experienced any problems was when I had an older iPhone and ios was updated which it slowed it down. As for battery, I never experienced any issues until the end of 2 years, at which point I would need to charge it about every 1.5 days instead of 2 days.

I never experienced as many problems as I have with the S5. My wife has an S5 also and has the same problems. We both decided to give the Galaxy a try and see how we liked them after owning iphones for many years. My biggest worry was cosistency. The iPhone typically runs smooth and doesn't 'degrade' with use. No need to get rid of apps that slow it down, no cleaning caches, no virus scanners. Everything just runs really well and smoothly.

The S5 has some cool features, it just doesn't operate very well.

My worries came to fruition with the S5 unfortunately. My wife was more positive about the phone but is now getting annoyed with all the little problems she keeps having. Here's what I didnt need to do to an iphone. Remove apps that sap up speed, no bloatware, no virus scans. Remove battery due to freeze ups. Internet crashing and internet freezing. No need to do maintenance to the phone to try and keep it running smoothly or quickly. It was pretty much worry free. It just ran smoothly with very few hiccups.

The image processor is better on the iphone, which is why the low light images are better. S5 pictures in daylight look more colorful, which is why many think the pictures look better. If you take 2 images from an S5 and an iPhone and zoom in, you'll see the difference in image quality.The S5 is less detailed than an iPhone image. The best way I can try and explain it is, compare an image taken with a digital single lense reflex camera compared to an image taken with just a digital camera. At first glance the images may seem pretty close. Look closer and the quality pops out.

You can do this just by going down to a local electronics store and playing with the camera on the iphone.

Last edited:

twoschus

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Currently I have an S3 that has been a good phone, but the time has finally come to upgrade. At first I wanted the S5, now I am leaning towards the iphone 6 based on the camera along. I go to a few hockey games and I watch people with Iphone's and the camera just seems to kick the hell out of mine, and it makes me question the S5.

Can anyone give me a direct comparison between the 2. Both speed, focus speed and photo quality. Mostly in terms of sports and kids.

If you are looking for a camera to take decent pictures of kids and sports, run, don't walk away from the S5. I left my iPhone for this and it's the biggest buyer's remorse I've ever had. I've lost entire holiday's worth of kid pictures due to poor quality. No, I'm not biased. Yes, I am capable of operating a camera. This is based on 6 months of researching, troubleshooting, and experimenting. If you want beautiful still shots of subjects in natural light, the S5 is hard to beat. Any other shots, however...good luck.

withwing

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, if you're looking for a smartphone with a capable camera, I wouldn't go with either of these smartphones. As much as I love the pictures on my S5, there are much more capable phones today. For example, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, it has a 16 megapixel with OIS or you could pick up a Lumia, they have really great cameras.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech