S5 Battery Draining Fast, Seriously Hot, and Slow

rkatz94

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Starting 2 days ago, I had my phone on standby on my desk. Then when I picked it up it was burning hot to the touch, the battery had drained 50% in less than an hour, and it was noticeably more slow than normal. I've had the phone since August and I've had very few issues with it, most fixable, and literally starting 2 days ago it's become almost unusable. I have a virus scanner and it says I don't have a virus. Is there any way to determine if it's an app running constantly, or something like that? Any help is appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
something like that should show up immediately on the Battery Report from the Settings. Is there anything there that suddenly jumped to Number 1?

It could also be the battery (this is the dangerous part). If you remove it, does it feel/look blugy? If you place it on a flat surface (try both sides), does it 'rock'? It shouldn't...

If you think it could be an app, you could boot the phone into Safe Mode, which prevents 3rd party apps from starting automatically. Only if you start the app manually will it be allowed to run. That way you can debug if an app is causing it or not.

Power the Device Up in Safe Mode Samsung Galaxy S 5 | Verizon Wireless

rkatz94

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the battery report and it said that Avast Mobile security was at 56%. That was much higher than the rest of the apps in use.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and no... if you were only running your phone on battery for 15 minutes, that wouldn't be too uncommon. If you've been running it for 3 hours, then that IS too much.

Do you have an SD card installed?

rkatz94

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
It said it had been running for over 3 hours, which clearly was an issue. Yes I do have an SD card in the phone. It was a present for Christmas and this was the first device it was used on. I read that old SD cards can have issues, because of excess files from devices before so I made sure to get a new one.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the battery report and it said that Avast Mobile security was at 56%. That was much higher than the rest of the apps in use.

uninstall all of the AV apps you have, and the Battery monitoring apps.

and any other apps that might have been installed in the last couple weeks.

clear the cache partition, and let it restart.

hopefully that will fix it.

Buddy Eskimo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
In fact, he may have VC Support and Protect already running. It could be that Avast is not playing well with another anti-virus program already installed. This is a common occurrence on PCs.

Being new to this phone, I am also curious about VC Support and Protect. I haven't come across many threads about it, but I'm leaning towards just using that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd also try just removing the SD Card for a day. Even new cards can fail or get corrupt files that trigger constant file scans. I remember that one day my Note 2 suddenly decided to last half a day instead of a full one, and after a couple of days of wondering and a day of vacation photos mostly lost, I finally realized it was the SD card going bonkers.

rkatz94

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for all of the help. I'm really new here, and to Android in general. You've all made this experience very positive.

It turns out that immediately removing Avast fixed the problem entirely.

Diahnn Borowicz

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 was FANTASTIC, until... the DANG Lollipop update Monday morning! NOW, yes, I have the EXACT same issues! I took it to a store and he told me about the Task Manager(button, lower left) and having too many apps open at once. Well, that is good in theory, BUT, I NEVER ONCE had any issues with this amazing phone and I have had mine for a year. It has EVERYTHING to do with the recent update and I am very close to unistalling it. My phone just drained down to 15%, in 4 hours and I haven't even been using it. All of a sudden I received the big message to plug my phone in, so I grabbed it and it is HOT. WHAT??? We really need answers as to why this update is ruining our phones! It was such a great phone and now I panic that it'll die so quickly, when I need it. I am even considering having to buy a spare battery. And by the way, it isnt' the AVAST, because I don't use that. I DO use the Verizon anti-virus though, but have still never had any issues.

Seriously, someone please look into this!

Thanks!

Diahnn Borowicz

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I had to call Verizon directly and after 45 minutes, it should work. Apparently. I was using too much RAAM. I didn't think I had that many apps, but it doesn't take much. I uninstalled a bunch and he also did a full cache clear and the battery has finally cooled down. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling my Yahoo Mail also. I JUST got off the phone with Verizon, so I can't verify that everything is working great, but so far so good. I was unaware of the RAAM part because I still have plenty of storage on my phone, so I thought I was good in that area.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
If you continue having problems, Take out your SIM card and do a full factory reset. Yes, it's a pain and you shouldn't have to do it, but everyone that has done it here (except for 2 and .... I am skeptical they actually did it) says that it completely fixes the battery / heat / lag issues and restores the phone to it's natural state of AWESOMENESS.

Also, a tech telling you you are using too much RAM is odd to me. You shouldn't need to be killing tasks and uninstalling apps and freeing up RAM. The Android OS is designed to use up as much RAM as possible. The OS should free up RAM when you need it by taking it from unused apps and directing it towards active apps.

But that is just my $0.02. I am not an engineer, I just play one in my tool shed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781