Is my Galaxy S5 unlocked?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the other way around. Verizon has been shipping unlocked LTE devices for quite some time now. But you can call their support number and confirm, but I'm pretty sure it is unlocked. Might not support the carrier's LTE bands you want though.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow Verizon is really moving up in the world.
It is your phone so its only fair that you could be able to "possibly kinda" use it elsewhere.
That's a breath of fresh air :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed with two fellow ambassadors. Verizon phones ship with GSM radios unlocked. Not compatible with Sprint, though.

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'm thinking of ditching Verizon for ATT (they have roll over data, which is the only reason I want to leave). Coverage is the same for where I live and travel to.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
T-Mo has better rollover deals (I think AT&T's expires after a month? something like that) and definitely better prices. If you travel internationally, T-Mo is also a much better option (I just came back from Mexico, 3G connectivity included, WiFi calling allowed me to take and make calls to the US, $0 extra on my bill).

But, T-Mo's coverage can be iffy in some cities, so it's up to your 'area'.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
T Mobile also has their own version of "roll over data", it's called Data Stash. However, I'm kinda disappointed to find out that after the initial 1 GB of data, the speed will be throttled back. To what speed? I don't know, still researching.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it but if your phone supports the frequencies of the carriers this company has deals with (it obviously doesn't have its own network), then it should work. It's basically 'piggybacking' on other carrier's networks and offering data services for chat applications (think of T-Mobile's Music Freedom and how it 'filters' out traffic from certain music apps so that it doesn't count against your 4G data allotment or how certain carriers offer free Facebook/Twitter data).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae