Update issue

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Went to install the new update from Verizon. Clicked search for updates, found the first one and installed it without issues. Went to take the second part of the update, it downloads, reboots into recovery, Android and progress bar appear, it goes for a little bit then shows a dead android with "error". Phone reboots, gets back to main screen and says "sorry there was an error."
No error code, no nothing haha. Anyone else run into this? The phone is completely stock, I also tried clearing out the cache, reboot, install fails everytime.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just did a factory reset. Set the phone back up, hit the update button, downloaded the update. Phone rebooted into recovery and the same thing happens. Bar starts to move across the screen then *poof* dead android with "Error". Phone reboots to main screen and says "Sorry there was an error."
Guess I'm just screwed.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just solved this, seems to be an error when downloading via OTA. Connect the phone to a computer and install the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant. Let it do it's thing, takes roughly 15 minutes but went through where it was repeatedly failing trying the OTA method.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Arisen I tried VZ assistant and Kies. Kies says the phone has the latest update "G900VVRU1ANK7" which I assumed is the first download it installed. The VZ assistant says "your device current firmware version is not supported to update firmware."
.....wtf?!?
Driving me nuts, I've never had an issue with OTA's being installed.

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
My wife's S5 touch wiz keeps crashing..
Whenever we try to add direct dials to a home screen and or there are direct dials on the screen and we try to move one and touchwiz crashes and the home screen with the direct dials gets deleted..
My S5 does not have this issue.
Anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What is the end build number you end up on? "G900VVRU1B0A8"? That's what my Update history says:
SAM_SMG900V_Update_G900VVRU1ANK7_G900VVRu1B0A8. Result: Update failed, 402.

Lucy Melford

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
It is indeed sensible not to adopt updates until they have been tested for a while, although it's also fair to say that this delay will have happened willy-nilly if (a) you own a Samsung, and (b) you live not in the States but in the UK.

I was finally offered the update the other day, but this was many, many weeks after some other territories around the world. I did install it immediately using Wi-Fi, and without any loading problems - although getting used to the changes from KitKat was quite another thing! (I started a thread on that, to do with making custom notification sounds work properly)

On the whole I think Lollipop is nice-looking, and a definite improvement, my Galaxy S5 running faster with battery life seemingly much as before now that I'm no longer experimenting with the various changes (i.e. pretty good - over a day, and I consult my phone every waking hour). The new carousel-style app/webpage switcher feels very Windows-like in its usefulness.

But of course you can indeed postpone installing Lollipop until things really settle down, with all its bugs fixed, and I don't see why anybody who wants to be cautious should feel under pressure to follow the crowd. I have myself for instance spurned installing the new version of the Business Calendar app because the old one suits me much better - its look, font and weekly view all being much more appealing. I don't want the new whizzy look, and I'm unmoved by the hype. Similarly any person might prefer the not-so-oldfashioned KitKat as an OS for excellent personal reasons.

The trouble is, of course, that all worthwhile apps quickly adapt to the new OS, and then one is forced to upgrade! A fact of life. A great pity really, because it means you can't use a favourite phone for years on end (important if you have a limited budget and competing spending priorities) and still stay part of the general community, due to dwindling support. I have for instance a 2006 Asus laptop running Windows XP that has travelled the world with me, and is still going strong. I must have processed literally 100,000 digital photos on it since purchase, and it looks fit for a lot more. But I dare not connect it to the Internet now. My installed 2008 Nikon software would be instantly disabled, as Nikon no longer supports Windows XP and seems to implant disabling code whenever it detects unsupported software on old machines.

Lucy

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just an update on my issue. After numerous factory resets, safe mode, flashing back to Decembers 4.4.4 update (ANK2), then trying to update again....nothing works. The first part of the 5.0 update download and installs just fine, second part downloads and install fails. I even tried resets/cache clears between the updates to no avail. Looks like I'll be on 4.4.4 for awhile, figure once they host the firmware update I can try to flash via Odin.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie