Verizon S5 Lollipop Bugs

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have not yet upgraded to Lollipop on my S5 and want to hear from you all who were brave enough to upgrade about the bugs that appear to exist before I decide to upgrade.

What bugs are there?
How is battery life?
What do you not like about the changes?

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
For me I have not found any bugs. Battery life seems better (gives me about 10%) longer. Fingerprint is definitely better ! It works nearly 100% right now

Maybe only the white background in the settings.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Scmm42

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I found that my default keyboard, Swype + Dragon, crashed on startup, and then crashed again about every 3 seconds. I fixed it initially by changing back to the Samsung keyboard (which was annoying to do since I had to dismiss the crash dialog every few seonds). After that I un-installed then re-installed Swype + Dragin and it worked fine.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I've noticed so far is my Pebble keeps dropping BT connection, forcing me to open the Pebble app, disconnect and reconnect. It's only noon and it's already done it twice today. In the months previously I can't remember it dropping once a month much less twice in one day. My BT headset isn't doing it.

And the auto screen brightness being too dim, but that's not a bug.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I've noticed so far is my Pebble keeps dropping BT connection, forcing me to open the Pebble app, disconnect and reconnect. It's only noon and it's already done it twice today. In the months previously I can't remember it dropping once a month much less twice in one day. My BT headset isn't doing it.

And the auto screen brightness being too dim, but that's not a bug.

I have a similiar issue with my Martian watch. Since the update, most notifacations are never recieved. This is an issue with the watches software, and not the GS5. As far as the GS5 goes, it has worked flawlessly since the update.

Richardnyhh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Mostly I find as a bug are enhancements that are not available. One being user profiles not seen on sgs5 for verizon. There are a few more hopefully included in the future updates.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a similiar issue with my Martian watch. Since the update, most notifacations are never recieved. This is an issue with the watches software, and not the GS5. As far as the GS5 goes, it has worked flawlessly since the update.

Worked fine before the Android update, doesn't work after the update. Hard to call that a problem with the watch when it's the phone's software that's changed. But I'm not interested in placing blame, just getting it to work right again.

elvyb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I updated last night no bug's here. Did take about 2 hours to completely update.

mikeblade82

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My GPS does not work. My app device manager does not activate my GPS on my phone at all. And my phone is lagging alot. Takes 2-4 secs to do anything

gdjenkins10

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My worst issue since upgrade is having to reboot to log back in. The logon screen will not take passwords requiring a reboot. It sometimes will take part of a password before blanking screen. The Auto brightness is way to dim indoors to leave on. I have not tried in sunshine.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Aloha,

I intentionally downloaded the upgrade, and really have not had any serious issues...but a couple of minor annoyances.

As mentioned, this upgrade is in two downloads. The first went smoothly, took about five minutes. I then checked for updates again, and started the second download. I had noticed during the first download, a message near the end, "Optimizing" 224 applications (the actual amount I had installed, more or less). During the second download, similar message, but with over 350 applications. Based on this, the first thing I did once installation was complete, was to power down and restart, then once it had fully booted, I immediately ran CCleaner, and then All in One toolbox. Again I powered down and restarted. At this time, with wi-fi on, after a few minutes a notification came up regarding Google Play needing an app updated. I allowed this, and it actually took quite a while, probably almost 10 minutes of downloading, before I could "install". The install happened quickly, and all seemed well. A little later in the evening, a handful of apps were automatically updated, after which I again ran CCleaner and All in One, then restarted, and have had no issues since. I probably spent about 40 - 45 minutes total to complete and cleanup the upgrade. AnTuTu score is 41083. So far have not noticed any unusual battery drains, although I will make the comment that I did learn with 4.4 that if you leave wi-fi on, and it connects to a weak source, downloads will take forever and battery consumption goes up. Better to turn off wi-fi and download with the 4G LTE. This also speeds up browsing, when wi-fi is trying to work over a slow or intermittent hotspot.

Annoyances with upgrade...yes, a couple, but I'll get over it. I don't care for the white background that is the "new" default, apparently with many apps. Can't seem to change this. Notification actions have changed on some apps, and again, cannot seem to change back to previous behavior. Specifically, GSam Battery Monitor, previously I could only have icon on notification bar showing % battery remaining only. Now, it insists on always showing a full notification on lock screen at all times (when running) as well. This hides the date on the lock screen. Also, I have double notifications for Maildroid now. I have not tried to figure this one out yet. I do also agree with another poster on the reduced size of the phone "keypad", definitely NOT an upgrade!

On the PLUS side of things, it seems the "Task Manager" now actually closes all previously opened apps.

I have not had any issues accessing previously saved camera images or music files on my sd card, and still can save files to the sd without any problem. No problem making or receiving calls, including VoLTE.

All in all, not a big deal one way or the other. Of course, if you are the type that has to try all the most obscure apps, and never perform even basic maintenance of the device; or drop it, drench it, and otherwise abuse it, YMMV.

Jasmine Laura

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I was happy with the first half of the update but after the 2nd longer update that actually installed lollipop my phone is irritating the Hell out of me. Do not go full lollipop. The first half improved a lot of bugs and my phone was running faster in general which got me excited to take it all the way since I don't usually update things when they first come out because I hate change and prefer to wait for the kinks to be worked out first. That's what I get for buying into the hype. I just wanna change it back =/

Jkupperstein

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The only issue I have so far is regarding volume. It took me a while to find in the settings how to change notifications volume. I also can't seem to find how to keep my phone on mute for a set time period. I used to be able to use the blocking settings for while I was sleeping and now the option is gone and I have no clue how to set it up with the new upgrade. Help!

Mohammad Yasser

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
i have verizon s5 too,i upgraded my phone to android lollipop,for me there's no bugs,the material design is more greater than before,it's smother now and faster,the battery is still the same as before updated,the screen lock looks great,in other word the update is great,good luck

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments on bugs\features and annoyances. It sounds like most people are generally satisfied. I think I will wait a while longer before I upgrade since I am happy with the present OS.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Did mine Monday night. The actual upgrade process took about 45 minutes via wifi. Compared to other OS upgrades, it was really no big deal. After dealing with my wife's iphone os update last week, this one was a non-event.

There are a lot of aesthetic changes, but that's something you get used to over time.

Smart Lock seems like it will be great eventually - which leads me to...
The fingerprint scanner seems exponentially better. Now it's a viable way to unlock the screen.
My battery life seems to be about the same, which gets me through a workday with no problem.

All in all for me, my phone now does some things better and nothing worse (that I have noticed). Net win.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
5.0 has bugs, they were all fixed when my Nexus 4 updated to OTA 5.01 which I got over a month and half ago, looks like non google phone owners will have to wait it out.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Worked fine before the Android update, doesn't work after the update. Hard to call that a problem with the watch when it's the phone's software that's changed. But I'm not interested in placing blame, just getting it to work right again.

The watch's software needs to be updated. Not Android's problem.

TJ Kaiser

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I was using blocking mode too so I had to do some digging. In settings go to "sound and notification". When there, scroll down and tap on interruptions.

Instead of blocking mode, now it's called "interruptions" or "priority interruptions".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon