Lollipop silent mode alarms not working

Noah Wilmering

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
so i updated to android lollipop this week and things have been going well. Normally when i go to sleep i put my phone in silent mode from the quick toggles in the notification panel. I like silent mode so i don't get vibrate notifications during the night and sounds that would wake me up.

Before the update my alarm which i use in the am to wake up for work used to work in silent mode and i would hear the alarm.

The last 2 nights the alarm goes off but only on the screen and does not make a sound like it used to.

Any thoughts on fixing this?

set your alarm clock app as priority in the sound settings and then put it to vibrate priority only, it wont vibrate for anything but will put through the priority alarm u set

2wheeltim

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I get this setup, you use priority settings to have your phone automatically silent each night, or whatever time frame you pick. Mute is now a complete blocker of everything, no matter what. But this whole setup is HORRIBLE for shift workers. It makes setup cumbersome and complicated. I may need the phone to be quiet during the night for 4 days and then during the day for the next 2, and evenings after that. HTC really nailed it with normal silent mode, and yet has a programmable do not disturb mode. All the while allowing alarms no matter what.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jenny Silva Nakachi

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Alarm is not working on silent mode hopefully they can fix this and leave it like before. Why mess with it also I have a lot of pop ups its so anoying. Please advice on how do i remove or do with these pop ups thanks.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Alarm is not working on silent mode hopefully they can fix this and leave it like before. Why mess with it also I have a lot of pop ups its so anoying. Please advice on how do i remove or do with these pop ups thanks.

Samsung fixed the alarm on silent mode ages ago. See post #51. Just get your carrier to update your firmware.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung fixed the alarm on silent mode ages ago. See post #51. Just get your carrier to update your firmware.

You make it sounds so simple. However, US carriers take a while to update and push out updates. I think it's coming, just may be a while for each carrier.

mudpucket

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Go to Google Play and look for Alarm Clock Plus. It's free. I just tested it and it works in silent. Don't be put off by the fact that no icon is showing but it is on and will work.

Last edited:

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Go to Google Play and look for Alarm Clock Plus. It's free. I just tested it and it works in silent. Don't be put off by the fact that no icon is showing but it is on and will work.

doesn't work... the screen does come on, but no sound or vibration. :(

drdepatie

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
This works... Use a sound profiler. I use AutomateIt. I have the phone go silent for bed as usual. At one minute before my alarm is set to go off, I have it turn just the ring volume to 1. Now the phone is not silent anymore and the alarm goes off a minute later. Depending on how much you hit the snooze, you can have it go back to silent after that. It works on my G3.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
You make it sounds so simple. However, US carriers take a while to update and push out updates. I think it's coming, just may be a while for each carrier.

Tell me about it!

See the descriptions for carrier models under #1.5 and #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. This is why we see so many complaints from the few carrier branded models when compared to the 200+ firmwares for the international phones.

Zachary Ruud

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
So I'm pretty late on updating to Lollypop but I'm regretting it already. I was late today because the alarm didn't go off and none of that priority mode BS works. I've tested it and it still only shows on the screen. There needs to be a way to eliminate turning that on if you accidently hit the volume button. I also hate the fact that I can hold the power button and set the phone to vibrate/mute. Lollypop blows. i want to revert back.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So I'm pretty late on updating to Lollypop but I'm regretting it already. I was late today because the alarm didn't go off and none of that priority mode BS works. I've tested it and it still only shows on the screen. There needs to be a way to eliminate turning that on if you accidently hit the volume button. I also hate the fact that I can hold the power button and set the phone to vibrate/mute. Lollypop blows. i want to revert back.

Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have?

Settings > About device > Model number

JoAnn Stone

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
OMG thank you so much, this finally worked!. I tried everything suggested on the previous twenty responses, this is the only thing that worked for me, no more missing alarms! :DOthers here (especially SRFOOT) have been helpful in posting solutions. I combined what several people have suggested
into these instructions which I hope are clear:

Open (slide down) notification bar.

Click on top right icon to open icon page. Click on pencil icon to edit buttons. From available buttons (icons), drag "always interrupt" button (the icon is a star) to the top section with the other active buttons (icons). I put this button next to the sound button.)

When the button is off (meaning it's dark), it will say "Always Interrupt." That is the normal mode that means your phone will act the way a phone is supposed to act.

When the button is on (meaning that it's lit up), it will say "Priority Only." When it's in this mode, do NOT put the phone in mute. Leave the speakers on. The effect will be that the speakers are on, but only priority notifications will get through.

If you get a phone call, the screen will light up, but the ringer won't ring.

Now go to Settings/Sounds and Notifications. Scroll down to Application Notifications. Scroll down to Clock. Turn Priority to ON. Do the same for any other apps whose notifications you want to make noise when the phone is in Priority Only mode.

How to use this:

When going about your daily activities:

- Sound icon is set to SOUND.

- The star icon is set to ALWAYS INTERRUPT.

- The phone is not in AIRPLANE MODE.

When in a movie theater:

- Sound icon is set to MUTE. That means that NO notifications will get through.

When going to bed:

- Sound icon set to SOUND. (Yes, this is counterintuitive.)

- Star icon set to PRIORITY ONLY. (That will make the sound icon change to SOUND/PRIORITY.)

- Phone in airplane mode.

IF you have the clock app set to priority, it should wake you up tomorrow morning, but your beauty sleep should not be bothered by any other notifications.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

JoAnn Stone

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
OMG thank you so much for this! I tried everything, nothing worked until I came across your post. The rest of the suggestions wouldn't work SOOOO frustrating!:D:-*

pdavid537

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
cluAnother method that has worked for me is instead of using the sounds from the menu, download an app named Sound Profiles (there is a free version and it was worked for me). I have an S5, the app allows you to create different 'profiles' like silent, loud, normal, etc. You can edit the profiles to select the actual volume (including Alarms). You will have set up the profile priority. It works flawlessy..

Hope this helps as well.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cluAnother method that has worked for me is instead of using the sounds from the menu, download an app named Sound Profiles (there is a free version and it was worked for me). I have an S5, the app allows you to create different 'profiles' like silent, loud, normal, etc. You can edit the profiles to select the actual volume (including Alarms). You will have set up the profile priority. It works flawlessy..

Hope this helps as well.

Not sure which app you are talking about for sure, when I search Sound Profiles, a lot come up in the play store.

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to this forum. I was going nuts without my alarm. I'd think Google and/or Samsung and/or the carrier could send us a notification when there's a major change. Now that I know how to use the priority button instead of mute, the alarm situation is solved. Actually works better for me because I also use hands free. I used to have to re-set location settings every time. Now I don't. It's a decent update -- just need to INFORM US! Somebody on here said to set airplane mode. That's not necessary.

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your post. I appreciated the info on the new priority mode. The only correction I have is that you don't need Airplane mode. Not muting and using priority only works fine.

Sally Newton

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had the exact same problem. I down loaded the Hola launcher yesterday and it's brilliant. the alarm still doesn't work in silent, but the phone is so fast, it's almost as good as the iphone.

Jennifer Stockwell

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Turn the phone volume down to almost off and the alarm volume to loud. I'm no longer oversleeping. My carrier suggested they could factory reset the phone and remove the update as another alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20