Lollipop S5 Battery "miracle"?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I posted yesterday about the sharp dropoff in battery performance after upgrading to Lollipop.

I was toying with the idea of doing a factory reset. Thought that before I did I'd try clearing the cache partition and, just for good luck (from my Blackberry days) doing a hard reset by pulling the battery.

I don't understand the science behind "letting the OS settle in". Not sure what caused the change but, today..... my battery performance is as good or better than before.

I can't attribute it to either of the things I did or "settling in" but, today my battery life was dramatically better as measured by experience, the native battery monitor or GSam. Go figure....

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What you described is basically my "close your eyes and shoot" experience with Android in general.

I was having very bad battery life for a while on my S5 (VZW). Android System would chew through my battery, and after searching and searching, I just didn't have the patience to figure it out. It should just work, for the love of Pete.

Right before I upgraded to Lollipop (hate the name BTW), I uninstalled some apps.... which "seemed" to help, but I can't be sure. After Lollipop, I can tell you that I don't see Android System as the top hitter anymore, however, perceived battery life is about the same, maybe slightly better (better get me a bucket).

So, is the percentage of Android System skewed now, or was it skewed before? I have no clue. And I don't give a flying monkey poo. I just dropped 2% writing this post. On AC Central App dark theme, non rooted, with sugar on top and a lollipop. /mini-rant

I hear ya.

Posted via the Android Central App

Philtronic

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I posted yesterday about the sharp dropoff in battery performance after upgrading to Lollipop.

I was toying with the idea of doing a factory reset. Thought that before I did I'd try clearing the cache partition and, just for good luck (from my Blackberry days) doing a hard reset by pulling the battery.

I don't understand the science behind "letting the OS settle in". Not sure what caused the change but, today..... my battery performance is as good or better than before.

I can't attribute it to either of the things I did or "settling in" but, today my battery life was dramatically better as measured by experience, the native battery monitor or GSam. Go figure....

I did a complete recharge after Lollipop install and, ehhh, I'm perplex to report that my battery life has doubled as compared to 4.4.2. I was getting 2 days on KitKat and now I'm at 2 1/2 days with 48% left on Lollipop !!! or should I say WTH ???

I did not change a single thing except disable the lock/unlock and selection sounds (because the volume is to loud in Lollipop and cannot be lower more :-\) but I don't think that it made a significant difference in battery life.

JonovisioC

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm seeing significant gains from 4.4.2. I think it's a combination of bug fixes that we never got in 4.4.4 and lollipop. I got a ridiculous 7 hours of screen time in 24 hours on wifi with Google now disabled and location off

khanhtrinh

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Android system still has the highest battery consumption on my phone. However it manages to get 5h45m SOT (with 18% remaining). Not sure if I should find some solution for this Android system thing or not...

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Android system still has the highest battery consumption on my phone. However it manages to get 5h45m SOT (with 18% remaining). Not sure if I should find some solution for this Android system thing or not...

I'd do a battery pull (just for the heck of it) & then power on directly into recovery and clear your cache, should help out immensely ;)

Last edited:

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm seeing significant gains from 4.4.2. I think it's a combination of bug fixes that we never got in 4.4.4 and lollipop. I got a ridiculous 7 hours of screen time in 24 hours on wifi with Google now disabled and location off

How do you get that insane 7 hours of SOT?

Posted via the Android Central App

JonovisioC

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lollipop S5 Battery "miracle"?

It was mostly Web and social media applications. No games, location off and Google now disabled. Although my next 24 hrs with different usage I'm going to land at around 5 hrs

khanhtrinh

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I'd do a battery pull (just for the heck of it) & then power on directly into recovery and clear your cache, should help out immensely ;)
Thanks, but I want to make it clearer. The Android System comsumes second highest battery, after the Screen (of course!). The comsumption for Android System is 14%. So is it considerable?

Btw, how can I clear cache partition? Back when I used my Nexus 4, it didn't have stock recovery and I could only do it via custom recovery like CWM. Does S5 have stock recovery to help wipe cache partition? My phone is not rooted.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That does sound just a tad bit high , mine runs about 5 or 6 percent but I don't use my phone a lot. anyway, to perform a cache clear power your phone down then hold the power button home button and volume up button until the phone boots up into recovery. then use your volume rocker to select wipe cache and the power button to wipe the cache.