08-30-2017 12:09 PM
438 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    What model is you phone or what carrier is it because I had the same issue.
    08-18-2015 04:37 PM
    It's a lot simpler and faster than re-installing 4.4.4 and you get a lot of extra stuff that comes with Lollipop.
    Uhm, no. Getting RID of Lollipop is the entire POINT. It sucks. But thanks anyway.
    Those to whom the camera is important, like me, may want to reconsider this. The 5.0 upgrade includes significant improvements to the camera's performance in low light. Here's a contribution I just made to the Pictures thread, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done this before I upgraded.

The only reason I'm here now is that I want to root and flash a Lollipop based custom ROM, and from what I see of the available options, none will work from straight 5.0; they all seem to require that you start with your phone running 4.4.x, or 5.1 and higher. So it seems I need to downgrade before I can root, because I don't see the official 5.1 upgrade anywhere.
    08-18-2015 06:32 PM
    It seems that post refers to updating TO OA8 FROM a former rooted build.

That's not me. I have unrotted OA8, and wanted it to be back on rooted kitkat. I did, however, figure it out. With all of you guys wonderful help.

It appears OE1 is the ONLY build you can't downgrade from at this time. (UPDATE - I stand corrected - OE1 is the first build to not allow downgrading - at this time, it appears all subsequent builds will not allow downgrading until further notice.)

2 additional questions...

1. On one of my phones I purchased (completely stock and unrooted) it is on OE1, but is waiting for me to approve a new update. What is that update? And it won't allow me to downgrade still, right? (Found this answer - this question no longer applies - OG5, and it appears you can not downgrade from any build after OE1)

2. On my other phone (rooted NK2), I'd like to make sure everything is cleared off of it before I start using it... can I perform a factory reset inside the boot menu or will that remove the root I have?

Thank you so much for all your work!
    Bump for the second question.
    08-18-2015 08:27 PM
    2. On my other phone (rooted NK2), I'd like to make sure everything is cleared off of it before I start using it... can I perform a factory reset inside the boot menu or will that remove the root I have?
    99.5% of Galaxy S5 users, worldwide, root using CF-Auto Root kernel and this is not affected by a Factory Data Reset. However, the carrier branded minority variants for AT&T and Verizon, G900A & G900V, require, because of their unique, locked, bootloaders, different methods of rooting such as TowelRoot or SafeStrap.

A Factory Data Reset wipes data and cache partitions but not system. This would not, normally, affect CF-Auto Root but because I do not own either the AT&T or Verizon models and have never had to use their rooting methods, I cannot say precisely. My inclination is that both TowelRoot and SafeStrap files may also be located in the system partition and therefore, unaffected by an FDR but do not take my word for it.

It might be a good idea to post the exact method you used to root your phone originally.
    sidds18 likes this.
    08-19-2015 01:02 AM
    doing this I got the problem, on top of my mobile it says Set warranty bit: Kernel
    08-27-2015 06:11 PM
    doing this I got the problem, on top of my mobile it says Set warranty bit: Kernel
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums Gyan Pandey!

It is normal to see that in recovery mode on a rooted phone. If it bothers you, you can install the latest TWRP Recovery by ktoonsez, which blanks it out.
    08-28-2015 05:01 AM
    Hi,
    I just want to downgrade not root (pardon my ignorance if any). Cannot stand Lollipop.
    I have note 4 with verizon. I keep getting the FAIL, Binary 2 >1 etc etc.
    Pls if you could guide me would be very helpful.
    Thanks
    08-28-2015 06:32 PM
    Hi,
    I just want to downgrade not root (pardon my ignorance if any). Cannot stand Lollipop.
    I have note 4 with verizon. I keep getting the FAIL, Binary 2 >1 etc etc.
    Pls if you could guide me would be very helpful.
    Thanks
    If the Verizon Note 4 is anything like the Verizon Galaxy S5, then I am afraid you are screwed when it comes to downgrading. See Verizon's new OE1 & OG5 updates prevent downgrading or rooting
    08-28-2015 06:49 PM
    See post #212 regarding Verizon OE1.
    08-29-2015 08:55 AM
    So read the entire thread, including nonsense about "make this for HTC". It is beyond me why people can't post files like this on dropbox or the likes to some fast downloads, but this is their world, I am just playing in it.

Setup: OSX running VMWare Fusion -> Running Win8
    All processes are run under Windows (not that this matters, as it seems only a few would know the difference if I gave any real technical details)

Mine S5 is an ATT version, SM-G900A. Got the firmware G900AUCU1ANCE_G900AATT1ANCE_ATT form Sammobile.
    Tried Odin 3.10.7, 3.09, 3.04, all of them fail. (Side note Odin 3.07 contains a virus so be warned)

SW REV CHECK FAIL : [about]Fused 3 > Binary 1
    Entire Odin Mode Screen provides this:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900A
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
    REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
    RP SWREV: S1, T2, R1, A3, P1

SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
    UDC START

At that point remove battery and USB, then the phone comes back up.
    Booted to up and did a "wipe data/factory reset", then tried again with the same issues.

Not sure what my next steps are....anyone got any ideas besides "me to mine don't work"?
    09-04-2015 04:38 PM
    And you did exactly as stated in 212?
    09-04-2015 05:33 PM
    So read the entire thread, including nonsense about "make this for HTC". It is beyond me why people can't post files like this on dropbox or the likes to some fast downloads, but this is their world, I am just playing in it.

Setup: OSX running VMWare Fusion -> Running Win8
    All processes are run under Windows (not that this matters, as it seems only a few would know the difference if I gave any real technical details)

Mine S5 is an ATT version, SM-G900A. Got the firmware G900AUCU1ANCE_G900AATT1ANCE_ATT form Sammobile.
    Tried Odin 3.10.7, 3.09, 3.04, all of them fail. (Side note Odin 3.07 contains a virus so be warned)

Entire Odin Mode Screen provides this:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900A
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
    REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
    RP SWREV: S1, T2, R1, A3, P1

SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
    UDC START

At that point remove battery and USB, then the phone comes back up.
    Booted to up and did a "wipe data/factory reset", then tried again with the same issues.

Not sure what my next steps are....anyone got any ideas besides "me to mine don't work"?
    If you are on the latest Lollipop firmware release from AT&T, you cannot downgrade back to KitKat or root your phone because of the new mega locked bootloader introduced by AT&T. See #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    09-04-2015 05:44 PM
    ironass, thanks for a competent answer, I have gleaned a ton by your posts alone.

Chas521, we all appreciate you cluttering up forums with useless chatter when you fail to read and understand what the poster asks, kodos to your high useless post count. It's guys like you that make forums mostly useless with retoric and useless "me too's"
    Fact is if I wanted to use 5.0, I'd not have ever come to this site, or this thread.
    But it surly is hard for you to grasp that.
    ironass likes this.
    09-04-2015 06:38 PM
    Im afraid i have the latest update. So I'm literally screwed & stuck with Lollipop for couple of years. There must be someway. I read somewhere they said 'Bootloader Lock" only prevents Flashing the ROM which i certainly don't intend to do. Thank for the reply
    09-05-2015 03:06 PM
    Im afraid i have the latest update. So I'm literally screwed & stuck with Lollipop for couple of years. There must be someway. I read somewhere they said 'Bootloader Lock" only prevents Flashing the ROM which i certainly don't intend to do. Thank for the reply
    If it was written more than 6 weeks ago, prior to the OE1 release for Verizon, it is out-of-date info I am afraid. Verizon firmwares have been unrootable for nearly a year now. Since the release of Android 4.4.4. That is why Verizon users had to downgrade to 4.4.2 to root. Now, even that possibility has been closed off by Verizon and AT&T by changing the bootloader and preventing down grading of the firmware. Unless AT&T and Verizon change their policy... down grading, rooting and custom ROMs are now a thing of the past for their customers.
    09-05-2015 03:55 PM
    Or go with a phone that does not have this type of crapery all over it.

Bonus for me, the ebay listing I purchased from said Android 4.4.4 KitKat, and it came with failypop. So I contacted the seller and they said box it up and ship it back.

Goodbye S5...I'll go find another device instead.
    09-06-2015 11:35 AM
    I'll go find another device instead.
    I think you mean... "Another carrier, instead", as both Verizon and AT&T are busy locking down other models of phones and other manufacturers handsets as well... not Samsung!
    09-06-2015 01:21 PM
    I think this topic is outdated because most S5s cannot downgrading to 4.4 once they are running the latest firmware. I updated my Sprint S5 to the latest firmware OG1 and cannot go back even to OA6 (still android 5.0).
    09-11-2015 02:15 AM
    I think this topic is outdated because most S5s cannot downgrading to 4.4 once they are running the latest firmware. I updated my Sprint S5 to the latest firmware OG1 and cannot go back even to OA6 (still android 5.0).
    I am guessing that you may not know that there are 41 different models of Galaxy S5 and only a handful of minority carrier variants in one country, the U.S.A., have locked bootloaders or cannot downgrade. See, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. It starts with the sentence...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
    Think again!
    "
    09-11-2015 04:30 AM
    I am guessing that you may not know that there are 41 different models of Galaxy S5 and only a handful of minority carrier variants in one country, the U.S.A., have locked bootloaders or cannot downgrade.... It starts with the sentence...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
    Think again!
    "
    Oops sorry for my bad knowledge, I just upset because my Sprint S5 cannot go back to KK and think all variants suffer the same destiny
    09-14-2015 03:10 AM
    I am guessing that you may not know that there are 41 different models of Galaxy S5 and only a handful of minority carrier variants in one country, the U.S.A., have locked bootloaders or cannot downgrade.
    I ordered a used G900V last week and allowed the updates on Saturday before I found out about all this. I want to try a factory reinstall to see if that will roll back the updates so I can downgrade to 4.4.2. Have you heard if this doesn't work?

Sincerely, Almost-afraid-to-ask
    09-14-2015 02:05 PM
    I ordered a used G900V last week and allowed the updates on Saturday before I found out about all this. I want to try a factory reinstall to see if that will roll back the updates so I can downgrade to 4.4.2. Have you heard if this doesn't work?

Sincerely, Almost-afraid-to-ask
    Oh dear! I am afraid that once you have updated past the OE1 firmware for Verizon, your bootloader has been irrevocably updated and a Factory Data Reset will not change that. Nothing will. This means that you can no longer downgrade or root your phone from here on in, courtesy of Verizon.
    whotakesem likes this.
    09-14-2015 02:50 PM

Oh dear! I am afraid that once you have updated past the OE1 firmware for Verizon, your bootloader has been irrevocably updated and a Factory Data Reset will not change that. Nothing will. This means that you can no longer downgrade or root your phone from here on in, courtesy of Verizon.
    I was afraid of that. I'll consider exchanging it for a new used one. Thanks for all your help, you're like the best evar.
    09-14-2015 03:31 PM
    Well, I factory reset my OE1 phone and swapped it for a new used S5 which had 5.0 -OA8. Then today I used Odin and downgraded to 4.4.2, flashed NCG, rooted with Towelroot and flashed NE9. Success. Maybe in time there will be some type of work-around for what Verizon is doing with OE1+.

Ironass I wanna thank you again for all your help with everything and your patience with everyone. Your posts are consistently very clear, thorough, and prompt. Absolutely invaluable. I don't know that I could have done it without your input throughout this thread. It's so hard to find variant-specific information in the forums - even on popular models - when things are constantly changing. Thank you
    ironass and Lollipophater2 like this.
    09-16-2015 11:14 PM
    Well, I factory reset my OE1 phone and swapped it for a new used S5 which had 5.0 -OA8. Then today I used Odin and downgraded to 4.4.2, flashed NCG, rooted with Towelroot and flashed NE9. Success. Maybe in time there will be some type of work-around for what Verizon is doing with OE1+.
    As William Shakespeare once wrote, "All's well that ends well".

Ironass I wanna thank you again for all your help with everything and your patience with everyone. Your posts are consistently very clear, thorough, and prompt. Absolutely invaluable. I don't know that I could have done it without your input throughout this thread. It's so hard to find variant-specific information in the forums - even on popular models - when things are constantly changing. Thank you
    Please whotakesem, you are making me blush!
    09-17-2015 02:55 PM
438 ... 89101112 ...