TUTORIAL: Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S5 from 5.0 to 4.4 KitKat

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
any idea if there will be a workaround for the verizon thing??

Hello and welcome to Android Central hotshot1489!

Verizon firmware has not had root access for a long time now. Hence, having to downgrade to older firmware to achieve root. Now they have even closed that possibility off. I am afraid that they do not want their customers to root their phones at all and even if by some miracle a rooting exploit was discovered... they would just close it off as they did on the OE1 release.

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a phone on ebay, but haven't activated it yet. I powered it up to see what version it was (after the other phone I purchased was OE1 - dang). It is OA8.

I'm trying to downgrade - can I downgrade with the OP method from OA8?

Thanks.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a phone on ebay, but haven't activated it yet. I powered it up to see what version it was (after the other phone I purchased was OE1 - dang). It is OA8.

I'm trying to downgrade - can I downgrade with the OP method from OA8?

Thanks.

See post #219

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
See post #219

It seems that post refers to updating TO OA8 FROM a former rooted build.

That's not me. I have unrotted OA8, and wanted it to be back on rooted kitkat. I did, however, figure it out. With all of you guys wonderful help.

It appears OE1 is the ONLY build you can't downgrade from at this time. (UPDATE - I stand corrected - OE1 is the first build to not allow downgrading - at this time, it appears all subsequent builds will not allow downgrading until further notice.)

2 additional questions...

1. On one of my phones I purchased (completely stock and unrooted) it is on OE1, but is waiting for me to approve a new update. What is that update? And it won't allow me to downgrade still, right? (Found this answer - this question no longer applies - OG5, and it appears you can not downgrade from any build after OE1)

2. On my other phone (rooted NK2), I'd like to make sure everything is cleared off of it before I start using it... can I perform a factory reset inside the boot menu or will that remove the root I have?

Thank you so much for all your work!

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a lot simpler and faster than re-installing 4.4.4 and you get a lot of extra stuff that comes with Lollipop.

Uhm, no. Getting RID of Lollipop is the entire POINT. It sucks. But thanks anyway.

Those to whom the camera is important, like me, may want to reconsider this. The 5.0 upgrade includes significant improvements to the camera's performance in low light. Here's a contribution I just made to the Pictures thread, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done this before I upgraded.

The only reason I'm here now is that I want to root and flash a Lollipop based custom ROM, and from what I see of the available options, none will work from straight 5.0; they all seem to require that you start with your phone running 4.4.x, or 5.1 and higher. So it seems I need to downgrade before I can root, because I don't see the official 5.1 upgrade anywhere.

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems that post refers to updating TO OA8 FROM a former rooted build.

That's not me. I have unrotted OA8, and wanted it to be back on rooted kitkat. I did, however, figure it out. With all of you guys wonderful help.

It appears OE1 is the ONLY build you can't downgrade from at this time. (UPDATE - I stand corrected - OE1 is the first build to not allow downgrading - at this time, it appears all subsequent builds will not allow downgrading until further notice.)

2 additional questions...

1. On one of my phones I purchased (completely stock and unrooted) it is on OE1, but is waiting for me to approve a new update. What is that update? And it won't allow me to downgrade still, right? (Found this answer - this question no longer applies - OG5, and it appears you can not downgrade from any build after OE1)

2. On my other phone (rooted NK2), I'd like to make sure everything is cleared off of it before I start using it... can I perform a factory reset inside the boot menu or will that remove the root I have?

Thank you so much for all your work!

Bump for the second question.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

99.5% of Galaxy S5 users, worldwide, root using CF-Auto Root kernel and this is not affected by a Factory Data Reset. However, the carrier branded minority variants for AT&T and Verizon, G900A & G900V, require, because of their unique, locked, bootloaders, different methods of rooting such as TowelRoot or SafeStrap.

A Factory Data Reset wipes data and cache partitions but not system. This would not, normally, affect CF-Auto Root but because I do not own either the AT&T or Verizon models and have never had to use their rooting methods, I cannot say precisely. My inclination is that both TowelRoot and SafeStrap files may also be located in the system partition and therefore, unaffected by an FDR but do not take my word for it.

It might be a good idea to post the exact method you used to root your phone originally.

sidds18

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I just want to downgrade not root (pardon my ignorance if any). Cannot stand Lollipop.
I have note 4 with verizon. I keep getting the FAIL, Binary 2 >1 etc etc.
Pls if you could guide me would be very helpful.
Thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

ggitech

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
So read the entire thread, including nonsense about "make this for HTC". It is beyond me why people can't post files like this on dropbox or the likes to some fast downloads, but this is their world, I am just playing in it.

Setup: OSX running VMWare Fusion -> Running Win8
All processes are run under Windows (not that this matters, as it seems only a few would know the difference if I gave any real technical details)

Mine S5 is an ATT version, SM-G900A. Got the firmware G900AUCU1ANCE_G900AATT1ANCE_ATT form Sammobile.
Tried Odin 3.10.7, 3.09, 3.04, all of them fail. (Side note Odin 3.07 contains a virus so be warned)

SW REV CHECK FAIL : [about]Fused 3 > Binary 1
Entire Odin Mode Screen provides this:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900A
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T2, R1, A3, P1

SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
UDC START

At that point remove battery and USB, then the phone comes back up.
Booted to up and did a "wipe data/factory reset", then tried again with the same issues.

Not sure what my next steps are....anyone got any ideas besides "me to mine don't work"?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So read the entire thread, including nonsense about "make this for HTC". It is beyond me why people can't post files like this on dropbox or the likes to some fast downloads, but this is their world, I am just playing in it.

Setup: OSX running VMWare Fusion -> Running Win8
All processes are run under Windows (not that this matters, as it seems only a few would know the difference if I gave any real technical details)

Mine S5 is an ATT version, SM-G900A. Got the firmware G900AUCU1ANCE_G900AATT1ANCE_ATT form Sammobile.
Tried Odin 3.10.7, 3.09, 3.04, all of them fail. (Side note Odin 3.07 contains a virus so be warned)

Entire Odin Mode Screen provides this:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900A
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T2, R1, A3, P1

SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
UDC START

At that point remove battery and USB, then the phone comes back up.
Booted to up and did a "wipe data/factory reset", then tried again with the same issues.

Not sure what my next steps are....anyone got any ideas besides "me to mine don't work"?

If you are on the latest Lollipop firmware release from AT&T, you cannot downgrade back to KitKat or root your phone because of the new mega locked bootloader introduced by AT&T. See #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

ggitech

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
ironass, thanks for a competent answer, I have gleaned a ton by your posts alone.

Chas521, we all appreciate you cluttering up forums with useless chatter when you fail to read and understand what the poster asks, kodos to your high useless post count. It's guys like you that make forums mostly useless with retoric and useless "me too's"
Fact is if I wanted to use 5.0, I'd not have ever come to this site, or this thread.
But it surly is hard for you to grasp that.

sidds18

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Im afraid i have the latest update. So I'm literally screwed & stuck with Lollipop for couple of years. There must be someway. I read somewhere they said 'Bootloader Lock" only prevents Flashing the ROM which i certainly don't intend to do. Thank for the reply

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Im afraid i have the latest update. So I'm literally screwed & stuck with Lollipop for couple of years. There must be someway. I read somewhere they said 'Bootloader Lock" only prevents Flashing the ROM which i certainly don't intend to do. Thank for the reply

If it was written more than 6 weeks ago, prior to the OE1 release for Verizon, it is out-of-date info I am afraid. Verizon firmwares have been unrootable for nearly a year now. Since the release of Android 4.4.4. That is why Verizon users had to downgrade to 4.4.2 to root. Now, even that possibility has been closed off by Verizon and AT&T by changing the bootloader and preventing down grading of the firmware. Unless AT&T and Verizon change their policy... down grading, rooting and custom ROMs are now a thing of the past for their customers. :(

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084