TUTORIAL: Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S5 from 5.0 to 4.4 KitKat

Hanrose29

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
hey, i see that the verizon versions not there either....what have you done? I can't stay with lollipop,,, might as well go get a iphone then

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
hey, i see that the verizon versions not there either....what have you done? I can't stay with lollipop,,, might as well go get a iphone then

NOTE: Before you read the rest of this, know that Samsung and Verizon are apparently "working hard" on an update that should fix these problems. They plan on releasing it in the next month or 2. So it may be wise to hold off until then. If not, read below:

So... I didn't think this would actually work but... it did. I decided to clear the partition (first) and then factory reset my device (both available through the hard reset menu: turn phone off and then hold the power, home and volume up buttons until the hard reset menu appears). All of my apps, settings, contacts, text messages, call logs, etc. automatically came back thanks to the Verizon Backup system. After doing that, I have my battery life back and then some (THANK GOD)! I think the battery is actually lasting longer than it was with Android 4.4.4 (before Lollipop). Everything is running butter-smooth now and very fast (faster than 4.4.4). The phone even functions differently... in a good way.

It's strange, it's almost like Android Lollipop wasn't fully installed UNTIL I cleared the partition and factory reset; because now a lot of things are different, not just the colors. Like the way messages work and how things move and transitions and stuff. I'm so glad I tried this before going back to 4.4.4.

There is still one thing that bothers me though: that apps can't control the mobile data status anymore... I used to use this constantly, controlling it with my headphone button and the "Pressy" app as well as the "Automateit" app. I really miss that functionality but... I guess I'll have to deal with this for now... or root my phone. I'll wait for the next update though.

nogeekspls

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am not a tech savy person.

In reading the steps to take to go back to Kit Kat I am confused.

Step 1- That program is downloaded to the phone or desk top?
Step 2- Firmware - to phone or desktop?

Same for the Odin program?

etc1006

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So yeah, I've followed this step by step multiple times... Odin keeps "Not Responding". The only time I get a com message is if I connect phone before I try to choose my file... I get a thing in the log to check MD5?? I'm ready to just take the phone back to TMo and tell them Lollipop screwed it up... And pray they still have some with Kit Kat...

SpinachEater

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much!!! I had a gut feeling that I shouldn't upgrade to lollipop…what a steamy pile of turds. I don't mind the look but my phone is always hot and the battery life is really bad now since it is obviously running the CPU hard for no reason what so ever.

Husker2017

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Where can I find Odin for Mac? I've been in the process of following the directions for about 5 hours now, and now I can't seem to find Odin...

Also, I'm not a tech person, so if you could "dumb down" directions that would be great! :)

Isaac Davidson

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Sammobile must have removed/doesn't have the firmware for the Sprint Galaxy S5. Does anyone know where I can find it otherwise? I upgraded to Lollipop and my phone's battery now hates that I did. Need to get back to Kit Kat 4.4.4.

I need firmware 4.4.4 for Sprint Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P).

Thanks.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sammobile must have removed/doesn't have the firmware for the Sprint Galaxy S5. Does anyone know where I can find it otherwise? I upgraded to Lollipop and my phone's battery now hates that I did. Need to get back to Kit Kat 4.4.4.

I need firmware 4.4.4 for Sprint Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P).

Thanks.

Clear partition and do a factory reset. Trust me, it gives the battery life back and then some + MUCH faster performance (thank god)! Mine automatically re-installed all the apps and settings I had before so it took no time at all.

1. Turn phone off.
2. Hold power, home and volume up key until menu appears.
3. Wipe Cache Partition first.
4. Factory Reset.

Viola... faster performance and you get that awesome battery performance back. I didn't think it would work but... it definitely does. It's a lot simpler and faster than re-installing 4.4.4 and you get a lot of extra stuff that comes with Lollipop.

Isaac Davidson

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Clear partition and do a factory reset. Trust me, it gives the battery life back and then some + MUCH faster performance (thank god)! Mine automatically re-installed all the apps and settings I had before so it took no time at all.

1. Turn phone off.
4. Factory Reset.

Viola... faster performance and you get that awesome battery performance back. I didn't think it would work but... it definitely does. It's a lot simpler and faster than re-installing 4.4.4 and you get a lot of extra stuff that comes with Lollipop.

I've already done a factory reset. Did it two days ago, battery is still very short of what it was prior to Lollipop.

I don't mind going through a re-install of older firmware. Just need to get off Lollipop.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've already done a factory reset. Did it two days ago, battery is still very short of what it was prior to Lollipop.

I don't mind going through a re-install of older firmware. Just need to get off Lollipop.

I think it's because you didn't first do the "Wipe Cache Partition" and then Factory Reset immediately afterwards. Initially, I just did a factory reset. Then after that, I tried clearing the cache partition but that didn't work. Still had terrible battery life and slow performance. However, when I did a Wipe Cache Partition and Factory Reset back-to-back from that menu, it worked wonders... for whatever reason. I still don't understand why doing it in that order worked and not the other. Beats me :/ But it definitely worked. HUGE difference in battery life and performance. I went from charging mine every day to charging it about every 3 days.

I would give it a shot and then give it a few days. If that doesn't work, then try re-installing 4.4.4... or just wait for Samsung to release the updated that fixes the issue (their working on it now and should be releasing it in the next couple of months).

Last edited:

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
For those that don't see the verizon firmware on sammobile, you have to type it in and then it'll come up. Just type it in like you see all the other versions but put a V at the end. I just downloaded it last night and today I have gone from 5.0, that wouldn't let me send texts, back to 4.4.4 and working flawlessly.

Jill Klausen

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I loathed Lollipop. I should know better than to EVER install updates to an OS, but foolishly I believed them when they said it was just for faster speeds and enhanced colors. Uhm, no. It made my phone run like it was going through molasses, made apps not even work anymore, looked like a damn disaster area on the tasks screen, drained my battery like an open sieve, and annoyed the CRAP out of me with incessant pop-ups. Not just no, but HELL no. Dear Bored Software Designers, Stop ******* with what's not broken! Your idea of "improvements" are the notions of NERDS (whom I adore, since my husband is one) and not the way REAL PEOPLE like to use their devices. Knock it off!

Consv93, you have saved my life and my sanity. Thank you very much!

Jill

Jill Klausen

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

1. Turn phone off.
4. Factory Reset.

Uhm, no. Getting RID of Lollipop is the entire POINT. It sucks. But thanks anyway.

Lars Panzerbjrn

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering, has anyone found anywhere else to download the ROMs?

SamMobile is horrifically bad -_-

If not, then I guess I'll just keep on trying.
If anyone has a ROM for G900F in a dropbox, I';d love to get a link ;-)

coldeering

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
On Samsung’s (Sammobile) firmware page, my phone was not in the dropdown menu BUT you don't just have to choose from those offerings. You can type in that search box, too. For me, typing in my phone as "SM-G900V" worked perfectly. Try that format for your phone. I downloaded the latest version of kitkat 4.4.4 with a 12/2014 date for lack of recalling what had been on my phone before. I did this the slower (READ: free) way and a couple of hours later it was ready to be unzipped and then saved ... very importantly ... in a location where I'd find it later when needed.