TUTORIAL: Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S5 from 5.0 to 4.4 KitKat

ohnasti

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
any of you have the 4.4.4 of SM-G900A
it's going to take apparently 2 hour to download just normally on that website.... but I have been downloading it for a while and it doesn't even say I have a mb downloaded.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
any of you have the 4.4.4 of SM-G900A
it's going to take apparently 2 hour to download just normally on that website.... but I have been downloading it for a while and it doesn't even say I have a mb downloaded.

If you are currently on the latest Lollipop firmware releases from AT&T, then you have the new, mega locked down bootloader and will not be able to downgrade to Android 4.4.4

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Phone Model: SM-G900F
Installed version: Lollipop 5.1
Carrier: Hot Mobile (Doesn't really matter in Israel if bought unlocked)
Purchased from: KSP Eilat, Israel
Purchase date: 3-May-14

Glad you are sorted but I am puzzled how you were on Android 5.1 as it has not been released by Samsung for the G900F model!

Aneissa Uribe

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
SM-G900V and Verizon. When I was doing the the Odin part I would get a message saying "All Threads Completed (succeed 0/ failed 0). And I would not see any messages appearing in the boxes on the top just would see "ID:COM"

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

craziekris

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
After doing the downgrade, everything has been working great. However, starting today, my phone is not receiving calls or texts. Could this be linked to the downgrade or something totally different?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
After doing the downgrade, everything has been working great. However, starting today, my phone is not receiving calls or texts. Could this be linked to the downgrade or something totally different?

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 41 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 6 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone INFO ?Samsung? and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

flyers21

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have a Verizon Galaxy s5 5.0 lilipop with a baseband and build number that ended in OC4. I cannot get the entire number now because my phone is stuck on "firmware upgarde encountered an issue" screen after I attempted to revert back to 4.4.4. kitkat. I was under the impression that if I was not OE1 or OG5, i would be able to downgrade using ODIN. I installed kies, downloaded 4.4.4 from sam mobile and used ODIN v3.09 and tried v3.10.7 and failed both at system.img.ext4. with the screen "downloading do not turn off target". It was stuck there FOREVER until it timed out to a FAIL and now says "firmware upgrade encountered an issue". I cannot master reset using volume up, power and home keys and im now stuck. I dont know all the technical verbiage, so im trying to explain all this the best i can. I guess my questions are: Is it true that i can downgrade to achieve root at OC4? If not, how do I fix what i did? Thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have a Verizon Galaxy s5 5.0 lilipop with a baseband and build number that ended in OC4. I cannot get the entire number now because my phone is stuck on "firmware upgarde encountered an issue" screen after I attempted to revert back to 4.4.4. kitkat. I was under the impression that if I was not OE1 or OG5, i would be able to downgrade using ODIN. I installed kies, downloaded 4.4.4 from sam mobile and used ODIN v3.09 and tried v3.10.7 and failed both at system.img.ext4. with the screen "downloading do not turn off target". It was stuck there FOREVER until it timed out to a FAIL and now says "firmware upgrade encountered an issue". I cannot master reset using volume up, power and home keys and im now stuck. I dont know all the technical verbiage, so im trying to explain all this the best i can. I guess my questions are: Is it true that i can downgrade to achieve root at OC4? If not, how do I fix what i did? Thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Central flyers21!

Providing the Verizon G900V has never, ever, received the OE1 or OG5 Verizon firmware releases with the mega locked down bootloader, then they can be downgraded. However, unless you are rooted already, these firmwares are pushed by Verizon, automatically, to your phone with no option to refuse. See post #1 of, Verizon's new OE1 & OG5 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

Therefore, I wonder how you have thus far escaped being upgraded to OD5, OE1 and OG5 over the last 4 months without being rooted?

Have you owned this phone from new, out-of-the-box, from Verizon?

Last edited:

pstreck1

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Obviously it's very shady of Verizon/Samsung to prevent rooting, especially given how flawlessly Lollipop has been :) I can picture the conversations between Verizon/Samsung/Google.

"Harummph" (Blazing Saddles). Lollipop is going great...
Q: OK, how many people have upgraded?
A: We are up to half of what we projected!

Well then force the updates

Next meeting...
Q: Is everybody upgraded?
A: Pretty much
Q: Who isn't?
A: Well see we've inadvertently created a black market on craigslist and the android forums where people are able to root their phones and revert back to KitKat. The customers that can't do it themselves are willing to pay complete strangers on Craigslist to undo our software updates.

Then block their ability to do that too...

I only wish I had rooted when I could have.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Obviously it's very shady of Verizon/Samsung to prevent rooting, especially given how flawlessly Lollipop has been :) I can picture the conversations between Verizon/Samsung/Google.

The mega locked bootloader that prevents downgrading or rooting is nothing whatsoever to do with either Samsung or Google!!! See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide and post #1 of Verizon's new OE1 & OG5 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

"Harummph" (Blazing Saddles). Lollipop is going great...
Q: OK, how many people have upgraded?
A: We are up to half of what we projected!

Well then force the updates

Next meeting...
Q: Is everybody upgraded?
A: Pretty much
Q: Who isn't?
A: Well see we've inadvertently created a black market on craigslist and the android forums where people are able to root their phones and revert back to KitKat. The customers that can't do it themselves are willing to pay complete strangers on Craigslist to undo our software updates.

Then block their ability to do that too...

Alternative scenario...

Verizon CEO: "Our customers are refusing updates to Lollipop with all our extra revenue generating bloatware, our rubbish, ersatz, cloneware and our new NSA spyware and are downgrading and rooting in their hundreds of thousands to avoid it and we are losing money. We need to find a way of making sure that they cannot root, refuse updates or bloatware and spyware!"

There are only 2 of the 41 models of Galaxy S5 that do not allow rooting and both of those, AT&T and Verizon, use cloneware, issued by themselves. I am on the worldwide G900F model which is on the latest Oi3 firmware from Samsung and it is fine with a very simple and easy root process, as are the other 200+ firmwares issued for it worldwide and the other 39 models.

I only wish I had rooted when I could have.

I am afraid that ship has well and truly sailed for AT&T and Verizon customers...

Last edited:

flyers21

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought the phone on ebay and it was not used for very long and im not sure if it was in use over the last 4 months. I know for sure it was on oc4 because it checked prior to attempting to revert back to kitkat. Also, when I installed kies and plugged in my phone, it informed me of an upgrade which i did not perform. Now im not sure what to do because i should be able to downgrade but im getting stuck in odin at "system.img.ext4".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma