TUTORIAL: Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S5 from 5.0 to 4.4 KitKat

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Would this still work if I'm on 5.1.1 my s5 is SM-G900W8 bell Canada. having battery drains.

Yes, it should. Make a backup of everything before doing so. See, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW! Also, make a note of your firmware, "Version", details and Product code as well, in case you need to go back to your existing firmware. See #1.8 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

However, before embarking on downgrading, I would strongly suggest doing a cache partition wipe as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Failing that, a FULL WIPE+FACTORY DATA RESET as per #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of the aforementioned guide.

crazyhorse01

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Copied instructions to the tee and I am now running android kitkat 4.4.2 thanks so very much. now to root and possibly get rid of that annoying update message.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, i need lollipop multiling firmware (inclu french).

I tested several firmwares but none contained the French.

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 41 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 6 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info Samsung and it will give you, under Firmware... PDA, CSC and Baseband, versions as well as your Product code under the CSC CODE heading.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

(TIP If you are a poster it is always a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.)

DFX

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply

- G900V
- Lollipop 5.0
- OG5

I tested several firmwares under lollipop but none contained the french lang.
I also tried to rooting/downgrading to kitkat but nothing.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply

- G900V
- Lollipop 5.0
- OG5

I tested several firmwares under lollipop but none contained the french lang.
I also tried to rooting/downgrading to kitkat but nothing.

Unfortunately, you have the G900V carrier minority model from Verizon that, unlike the international G900F, will only accept the Verizon firmware with its very limited built-in language pack and cannot be rooted to accept, say, the G900F's, 42 language, multi pack.

If it is just a multi language keyboard that you want, then I suggest Swiftkey Keyboard, free from the Play Store.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
It's complicated = There is no way to change language.

I successfully rooted many phones except G900V.

It is not complicated... which would imply that it was possible but difficult. Rather, it is impossible as there is no way to root or change the built-in language pack on the G900V model thanks to Verizon. ;)