TUTORIAL: Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S5 from 5.0 to 4.4 KitKat

mel ellis

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi......I can't find the 4.4.2 firmware on SamMobile for my Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F), so I can revert from lollipop back to KitKat. Since upgrading, my screen constantly flickers/goes black/can't be switched off. Can anyone out there help me please? I'm getting a bit desperate. Thanks :)

mel ellis

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi......I can't find the 4.4.2 firmware on SamMobile for my Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F), so I can revert from lollipop back to KitKat. Since upgrading, my screen constantly flickers/goes black/can't be switched off. Can anyone out there help me please? I'm getting a bit desperate.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi......I can't find the 4.4.2 firmware on SamMobile for my Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F), so I can revert from lollipop back to KitKat. Since upgrading, my screen constantly flickers/goes black/can't be switched off. Can anyone out there help me please? I'm getting a bit desperate. Thanks :)

Hello and welcome to Android Central mel ellis!

Could you post your full exact current firmware details as per #1.8 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide and I will endeavour to locate the correct Android 4.4.2 firmware for you.

goffie78

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Right, so... I backed up my phone which is the SM-G900F, however I did not get the firmware details before starting this process, nor did I clear any extra space on the phone (Cache, memory, whatever) I have tried 3 different versions of the downgrade available on Sammobile. I got my phone from carphone warehouse in UK it runs on 02 network. on sammobile I selected UK 02 which gave me a number of downgrades (as mentioned above I have tried 3 of these). I have tried Odin 3.10 and 3.9 to install kitkat however every time the install is almost done I get a message in Odin in red saying failed. my phone now displays the following in the top left corner:
ODIN MODE
product name: SM-G900F
current binary: samsung official
system status: official
reactivation lock (kk): off
Knox warranty void: 0x0
qualcom secure boot: enable (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
secure downlaod : enable
UDC start
(after trying to complete the downgrade with Odin I get a furhter peice of info at bottom saying:
volume size is too big 20400<61440
ODIN : invalid ext4 image)
there are 2 screens I can get up on phone, both screens diplay the above, however, one displays the android bot and says downloading do not turn off and the other displays a phone a ! (exclamation mark in yellow triangle) and a screen and says underneath: firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again. I have tried kies3 and the older version of kies neither of which will connect to my phone. Is there anything I can do. Seriously loosing the plot now.
It seems like I need to free up some space in memory but have no way I can find to do this from where I am with phone.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Right, so... I backed up my phone which is the SM-G900F, however I did not get the firmware details before starting this process, nor did I clear any extra space on the phone (Cache, memory, whatever) I have tried 3 different versions of the downgrade available on Sammobile. I got my phone from carphone warehouse in UK it runs on 02 network. on sammobile I selected UK 02 which gave me a number of downgrades (as mentioned above I have tried 3 of these). I have tried Odin 3.10 and 3.9 to install kitkat however every time the install is almost done I get a message in Odin in red saying failed. my phone now displays the following in the top left corner:
ODIN MODE
product name: SM-G900F
current binary: samsung official
system status: official
reactivation lock (kk): off
Knox warranty void: 0x0
qualcom secure boot: enable (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
secure downlaod : enable
UDC start
there are 2 screens I can get up on phone, both screens diplay the above, however, one displays the android bot and says downloading do not turn off and the other displays a phone a ! (exclamation mark in yellow triangle) and a screen and says underneath: firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again. I have tried kies3 and the older version of kies neither of which will connect to my phone. Is there anything I can do. Seriously loosing the plot now.

Hello and welcome to Android Central goffie78!

Lets see if we can sort you out.

First and foremost, if you downgrade to Android 4.4.2, KitKat, you will not be covered by any of the past years bugfixes and more importantly, security updates for things such as Stagefright.

From your Odin messages, it would appear that you may be trying to flash an incorrect, carrier branded or model of firmware.

As you do not have your all-important, original firmware details, I can take an educated guess as to the firmware that was on your phone. See, below.

To flash this firmware to your phone, carefully follow the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Stock Samsung unbranded firmware for the U.K....

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 2089850
Build date Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXU1ANG2
CSC G900FOXA1ANG3

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I will try this and hope. cheers.

I am afraid that when it comes to flashing, rooting or modding, hope has, as countless posters have found out to their cost, nothing to do with it.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

goffie78

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Found this version on sammobile but it wont let me download it keep getting: 502 bad gateway or page error screen. is there anywhere else I can download it. cheers

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

kingzback

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi ironass,

I Have just bought G900F (second hand) with lollipop 5.0 and it's the g900fxxu1boj1.

The knox is at 0x0 position.

Is it possible to downgrade to Kitkat with root without triggering the knox?

Any guide for this??

thanks in advance.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi ironass,

I Have just bought G900F (second hand) with lollipop 5.0 and it's the g900fxxu1boj1.

The knox is at 0x0 position.

Is it possible to downgrade to Kitkat with root without triggering the knox?

Any guide for this??

thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Android Central kingzback

It is entirely possible to downgrade the international model of Samsung Galaxy S5, G900F, to KitKat by downloading and flashing the stock firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product code, by following the instructions and video in #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

However, flashing the stock firmware which contains the stock, unrooted, kernel will unroot you and you will need to re-root again by following the instructions in [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root. Unfortunately, rooting will trip the Knox Security flag these days.

By downgrading to Android 4.4.2 you are missing not only Lollipop but also all the bug fixes and, more importantly, all the security updates that have been included in the latest releases for exploits such as Stagefright. Also be advised that rooted phones will not receive future updates, such as Marshmallow, via OTA or Samsung Kies/Smart Switch and the firmware update will need to be flashed, ( and re-rooted), as described above.

Alternatively, you could try flashing a custom, rooted ROM for Android 4.4.2 and your model of phone. Seek advice from individual ROM developers if your Android 5.0 bootloader would be compatible with their particular Android 4.4.2 ROM. I am surprised that as you are on a rooted Android 5.0 firmware, that your Knox Security is not already tripped. You can check this by going into Download mode on the S5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uUxe9TFtQ

Last edited:

kingzback

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ironass,

I have lollipop 5.0 but unrooted with knox 0x0

Is you above still valid? // Still no possibility to downgrade to kitkat with root without triggering the knox?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Ironass,

I have lollipop 5.0 but unrooted with knox 0x0

Is you above still valid? // Still no possibility to downgrade to kitkat with root without triggering the knox?

When I read, "Is it possible to downgrade to Kitkat with root without triggering the knox?", it sounded as if you were already rooted.

If you downgrade back to KitKat as I have described and then you can attempt to root without tripping Knox by using TowelRoot... [TUT] root WITHOUT tripping knox

vrocky

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys. Here's my situation: I bought a s5 for boost. It has a clean imei(posting from it right now). Problem is that when I tried to root it via Odin, I found out that the activation lock (KK) is on in download mode. I made a new Knox Samsung account but it still is on and can't be deactivated in Settings. Is there a way to fix this so I can downgrade?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys. Here's my situation: I bought a s5 for boost. It has a clean imei(posting from it right now). Problem is that when I tried to root it via Odin, I found out that the activation lock (KK) is on in download mode. I made a new Knox Samsung account but it still is on and can't be deactivated in Settings. Is there a way to fix this so I can downgrade?

Have you owned this phone from new, out-of-the-box?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01