S5 5.0 Verizon wireless notification bar help

njtta150

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so my S5 on verizon wireless updated to 5.0. On the lock screen in the notification bar it now says "Verizon Wireless" on the lock screen.

On the previous android version in that spot it would show the following icons, text message, voicemail, missed calls, whatsapp notification etc. all on the notification bar on the lock screen.

On the new update 5.0 its just says "verizon wireless" in that spot. you cannot see what notifications you have until you unlock the screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of "verizon wireless" and get my notifications back?

Also on a side note, the new update sucks. Im not happy with it lol.

sfggirl22

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. We must have been posting our q's at the exact same time because I didn't see yours before I submitted mine. I'll let you know if I figure it out! It's bugging me too.

NosmoKing116

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You have to set up the notifications on the lock screen which is part of the 5.0 design.

1. Go to Settings
2. Sound and notification
3. Scroll to the bottom with the last three choices
4. While locked - make a choice of showing you the content, or hide sensitive content, or display none.
5. Choose what application notifications you want to show , blocking it, showing it as a priority or is it sensitive
6. And if you want to give a program access to notifications.

njtta150

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help I tried that and its little better but not really what I was trying to accomplish. In the upper left corner on the notification bar it has “Verizon wireless” on the lock screen. Now before this update on the lock screen if you got a text message it would show the text message icon, the little envelope. Or the whatsapp bubble /symbol for that app. I am trying to get rid of the “Verizon wireless” and get the symbols/icons back for the notifications on the lock screen.

If I try what you suggested the Verizon wireless is still there. When I receive a text, etc now I just get bars that go down the whole screen showing the notification. I have to have it on sensitive info otherwise it would show the content of the text message. I am just trying to get back to the little icons on the top of the notification bar. But I guess this may not be possible.

sfggirl22’s thread about it is better than mine as she has some screen shots.

pimsie

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I hear you all! This is an improvement? I don't want the big bars as they cover my time and date, under which I have an emergency phone number in case I leave my phone somewhere (which I did last week before this happened). My friend saw the emergency call button at the bottom (now a phone handset icon) but merely clicked on it as she didn't know it needed to be swiped. And by the way, recently on my lock screen, a shoe in a circle with two dashes after it appeared. Does anybody know what that is???

upurs

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes that is your Pedometer, To get rid of it go to: Settings/Lock screen/additional information and un check your pedometer and it will go away! I am on the same page as you with the "verizon wireless" in the notification bar on the lock screen. i do not like my txt showing up on my screen, i want my msg icon back so i can see if i have a msg without un locking my phone. please fill me in if you figure this out!!

P.S. Lollipop 5.0 [language cleanup by Moderator]! I hate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth_Nihilus

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
To turn off that Pedometer, go to
Settings > Lock Screen > Additional Information > Uncheck Pedometer.

To turn off that Verizon Wireless Logo in the middle, go to
Settings > Lock Screen > Owner Information > Uncheck "Show Owner info on lock screen."
You can actually set your own message here, like "If found, please call ..."

To turn off other useless stuff, go to
Settings > Lock Screen > Help text > Uncheck it.

To turn off some other stuff, go to
Settings > Notification Panel > Related Apps >
Now you can pick and choose which App Icons you want to show when your headphones are plugged in.

My S5 just updated to 5.0 and it made some changes that I didn't like,
so I fiddled around and found all the different settings to change it back how I wanted.
Now to go in and change all the sounds again...

ojocell

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Does this: Settings > Lock Screen > Owner Information > Uncheck "Show Owner info on lock screen", actually remove the "Verizon Wireless" text in the status bar so that I will once again be able to see the text message and email icons when my screen is locked?
Update: OK, I answered my own question by following the above steps. No, this does not remove "Verizon Wireless" from the upper left of the status bar. So, we who hate that because we can no longer see the icons for text and email messages, need to keep searching for a viable answer.

Last edited:

mrfusion70

May 15, 2015
Visit site
At least I am not the only one annoyed by this change! I understand why they did this because if you want no notifications then this is great but if you still want the small notice at the top then this is now a problem with the latest update. At least give me the option to turn this on or off!!!

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys.
I downloaded a new lock screen, CM Locker. I like it so far! You can customize it a little, no annoying pop up type things. I am hoping when I get a text, it scrolls through the message on the notifications bar, but that is yet to be tested. I saw this app on another thread, and I thought I would share! :)

donitz

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I also am dissatisfied with Lollipop because of this. I refuse to be forced to read "Verizon Wireless" every single time I look at the face of my phone. AND I don't want to use some third-party screen locking software that now has to be maintained and can lead to a host of other problems in order to fix it. This makes me want to leave Verizon for good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca