Using Stock Verizon S5 in UK

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am planning a trip to the UK and wanted your advice on using a phone in the UK. My Verizon S5 is stock and by the time we go I will have Lollipop installed (I have been delaying the upgrade).

As I understand my S5 is unlocked and is a world phone but of course the phone is CDMA and I believe UK uses GSM. Can I simply buy a sim card for my S5 and then it would work? Maybe you have other suggestions on the easiest way to use a phone in UK for a relatively short period of time.

Thanks for your advice.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The S5 should work in the UK for voice, but you probably won't get data (which means no MMS either).

You may be able to rent a phone if it's for a short time. Take the S5 with you. Then check for phone rentals in the airport, and check in cellphone stores. Do whichever one works best for you. (Don't grab a deal at the airport. You may find that local shops are selling the same thing at half the price. If you find that the airport deal is cheaper, go back to the airport and buy what you want there.)

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care about MMS. I would like to be able to make local in the UK area and I would like to be able to use a mapping program (like Google Maps) so I can get around if I am taking a car some place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12