09-07-2016 12:42 AM
247 12345 ...
tools
    I swear I'm going to throw this phone away and go back to Apple. I almost got into an accident trying to get back to my navigation app. Same problem as everyone else on this forum. This needs to be remedied NOW.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-13-2015 08:25 PM
    It's somewhat comforting to know that others are having this problem also. I was starting to think maybe I am going crazy and that I had somehow suddenly forgotten how to use my phone's button to get to the home screen. AT&T S5 Active.
    02-13-2015 09:44 PM
    Yeah I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, but I hope google or samsung know about it and it gets fixed soon.
    02-13-2015 09:47 PM
    Super frustrating over here too. Home button only brings up Google. I have to hit back several times to get out of anything. And the left menu button is super slow now too, or just not working at all at times.
    I don't want to have to disable Google Now because I really like using it for the personalized feed. Has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve completely disabling it?
    02-14-2015 06:41 AM
    First time following a forum... but hoping for a fix asap.
    02-14-2015 07:01 AM
    A quick double click on the home key worked for me but I still hope they fix this problem. Thanks for the tip.

I just tried double clicking the home button and it seems to take me back to my home screen and skipping google. Even if this continues to work, it's still not acceptable that Google has hijacked my home button.
    02-14-2015 07:35 AM
    Just tried double clicking. It seemed to work, but not every time. It's an okay fix for now, but they really need to come up with a permanent fix. Thanks for the idea.
    02-14-2015 08:29 AM
    Try this. ..go to settings. ....active key....choose either short or long press and put Google on one. Restart phone. Hopefully it works
    02-14-2015 11:43 AM
    Joined this to find an answer as well. This is getting ridiculous. I left Apple to come back to Droid because of how much more they could do. Now I've had my s5 for a short time and this happens. Please fix! I love my phone, but right now I want to throw it at whoever made this update!
    02-14-2015 12:12 PM
    Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum.

On my galaxy S5 recently, over half of the time that I want to go home, and i hit the button, it just takes my to google now instead. Is there a way to change this setting?

Thanks
    The only way I have figured out how to deal with it is I went to my application manager, found the "google app" and selected turn off. But I never used it anyways! But it works!
    Kim Pearson likes this.
    02-14-2015 12:58 PM
    Something I did that may help some is:
    First this works only (as far as I know) if you have Nova Launcher installed.
    I had created a backup of how I wanted my screens to look like.
    I downloaded the backup and restored it.
    After that the home button seems to be back to normal!
    02-14-2015 01:20 PM
    Just spoke with AT&T they said it's a mess up from the most recent update.

They did give me a TEMPORARY FIX though.
    1. Go to app manager
    2. Scroll over to 'all'
    3. Scroll down and click on Google (white box with blue G)
    4. select 'turn off'

Google search will disappear from the phone but chrome will still work just fine. When you press the home button you can still feel the phone attempting to open Google (like you long pressed the home button). But it won't open because it is basically disabled.

I don't use Google search anyways so this temporary fix will work fine for me until they come out with a new update.

Tshapiro1000 likes this.
    02-14-2015 01:37 PM
    Yes...I am very annoyed by this too!
    02-14-2015 11:00 PM
    Same issue.... Tried everything. Button just randomly goes to search.
    02-15-2015 06:08 AM
    Same issue. Restarting works for a short period of time. Definitely started happening after AT&T update. So does anyone from att monitor these forums? Anyone tried calling customer support and complaining? My wife has regular S5 and she doesn't have any issues. Seems to only affect the Active.
    02-15-2015 07:00 AM
    Same issue. Only seems to affect the Active. My wife has regular S5 and she has no issues. Definitely started happening after att update. Has anyone tried calling AT&T??
    02-15-2015 07:01 AM

1. Go to app manager
    2. Scroll over to 'all'
    4. select 'turn off'

Google search will disappear from the phone but chrome will still work just fine. When you press the home button you can still feel the phone attempting to open Google (like you long pressed the home button). But it won't open because it is basically disabled.

I don't use Google search anyways so this temporary fix will work fine for me until they come out with a new update.

This works. And I think the phone is faster now. Thank you!
    02-15-2015 08:59 AM
    Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum.

On my galaxy S5 recently, over half of the time that I want to go home, and i hit the button, it just takes my to google now instead. Is there a way to change this setting?

Thanks
    I HAVE AN ANSWER! I have been looking for a way to remove the long press google search since the update to the S5 by AT&T. I just figured it out! I opened up my "all apps" screen, long pressed on the blue "Google App", dragged it to Uninstaller (trash bin) that appears at the top of the screen, it gave a warning that all data etc would be deleted blah blah blah, i chose "ok" and it said it was reverting it back to factory version since it was a preloaded app and voila! ! I'm so excited! ....

Hope this helps everyone!
    02-15-2015 09:06 AM
    Following for home button issue. Double tapping helps most of the time but super annoying
    02-15-2015 09:32 AM
    Uninstalling the latest update via the application manager has worked for me as well.
    02-15-2015 09:34 AM
    happening to me since the upgrade and omg so so annoying!!!! Thank you for the thread, the restart fixed it for now. Between that and the smart switch network bug I'm ready to trade this phone in!
    02-15-2015 03:02 PM
    Joining in hopes of a solution soon.
    02-15-2015 06:49 PM
    I was beginning to think I forgot how to use my phone too.. Irritating
    02-15-2015 07:33 PM
    Same issue. Restarting works for a short period of time. Definitely started happening after AT&T update. So does anyone from att monitor these forums? Anyone tried calling customer support and complaining? My wife has regular S5 and she doesn't have any issues. Seems to only affect the Active.

1. Go to app manager
    2. Scroll over to 'all'
    4. select 'turn off'

thank GOD this actually worked!!!!!! I was starting to think the people on eBay sold me a ****ed up phone lol but yes everyone here's the solution^^^^^^^^^
    02-15-2015 08:51 PM
    I agree with everyone on this thread...I was ready to throw this phone out the window. Anyway, I just went in and uninstalled the updates vs. uninstalling the app. I seems to have worked. The phone reset worked for a few days but I was starting to lose my patience again. Hopefully they will find a solution soon.
    Also, I have a regular S5 (not active) and I run Nova Launcher.
    02-15-2015 09:40 PM
247 12345 ...