Home button on my S5 and Google Now

Dawn T1

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issues and about fed up. I'm fixing to just get a different phone. Just might go back to apple. as much as I love Samsung, I hate to do it but this crap is annoying.

Posted via the Android Central App

syplyter

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
AT&T user. Started after the last update. Will absolutely switch to an iPhone if this cannot be resolved. Is this unique to AT&T users...I can't tell because not everyone on this thread has included their carrier. If an AT&T issue we can pound them mercilessly.
Re-starting does clear it up for a couple of days, but that is not the fix I am looking for.

Julie Dunfee

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Found an answer on page 2 of this thread. I just uninstalled the updates by going to the Play store, searching for Google now, then clicking uninstall. Of course it doesn't remove Google now, just the update that caused it to stop working properly. It works for now. Thank you!!!

HelloMegs

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
The only way to fix it permanently is to go into your app manager in your phone settings, scroll down to the Google app and then tap "uninstall updates". This will revert the Google app back to factory settings and you won't have to worry about that Google Now crap popping up when you hit your home button.

Kat Harding

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone having Contacts issues as well? I am trying to update my contacts (change one phone number from "Other" to "Mobile") and the app just freezes. Restarting does not help. The contact shows up with the Google icon at the top, which makes me think it is syncing from Google information and therefore might be related to this whole Google Now debacle (which I am also experiencing). Has this happened to anyone else?

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I was able to disable Google Now so that, however, the problem still persists even when trying all of the solutions in this thread. Now, a short click will often act like a long click (and I know this because you get the haptic feedback vibration), only now instead of going to Google Now it simply does nothing. It's still an annoyance!

Akmechanic

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Tried every single suggestion on this thread. The only thing that "worked" was disabling the app and now my home button does nothing more than half the time as another commenter said. Joined to follow for a PERMANENT proper solution.

otodoran

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
VERY frustrating. How can they miss such a glaring issue?!
Tried all the suggestions I could find.
Uninstalling Google Now (which is *not* shown as an application, btw so it has to be done from PlayStore) fixed it for a few minutes. After that I've start getting the "Get Google Now" screen.
This is unbelievable. But of course, what can you expect from the for ever beta company.

Last edited:

Anne Alex

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
OK, here's a workaround if you don't want to uninstall Google search.

1) Install Swipeup Utility
2) Hold down the home button, and choose Swipeup Utility as the default for that action
3) Open Swipeup Utility, and set the action to Home Button.

Now every time you hit the home button, you will be taken Home, regardless of whether the phone registers a short or long hold. Of course, now you will be in the situation where you don't have the option of doing a long hold to bring up Google Now, so if that is important to you this may not be the best solution. But you could always install Home2 Shortcut and set the double home tap to Google, and just double tap when you want Google Now.

EDIT: Sorry, I'd love to post links to referenced apps, but this is my first post.

Guys, THIS. ^^^^^
NONE of the other solutions worked for me. I've had google now disabled forever, I've restarted my phone, touchwiz is my home default...none of it mattered. But when I installed swipeup utility and made it my default, this worked! Now touching my home button takes me back to my home page, just like on an iPhone. Thank you, Tobithy!

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
OK, here's a workaround if you don't want to uninstall Google search.

1) Install Swipeup Utility
2) Hold down the home button, and choose Swipeup Utility as the default for that action
3) Open Swipeup Utility, and set the action to Home Button.

Now every time you hit the home button, you will be taken Home, regardless of whether the phone registers a short or long hold. Of course, now you will be in the situation where you don't have the option of doing a long hold to bring up Google Now, so if that is important to you this may not be the best solution. But you could always install Home2 Shortcut and set the double home tap to Google, and just double tap when you want Google Now.

EDIT: Sorry, I'd love to post links to referenced apps, but this is my first post.
Fantastic! This works quite well.

megan87244

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
When I talked to AT&T about this they said that it happened with the 4.4.4 update. They are working with Samsung to get thus fixed. There is an app you can install to get rid of it, but I don't remember what it was called.. just joined to give some info and to follow if anyone fixes it.

despicablekitty

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I found that disabling S voice solved the problem for me. Open S voice with a double tap on the home button, go to settings and uncheck "Open via the home key." Home button will be much more responsive and will no longer emulate a long press while it waits for the 2nd tap. So, basically, you have to choose between S voice or Google Now for your home button.

kaykay1089

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
For the people who's home button is not working after after un installing the Google and S voice.

Okay, deleted the apps last night and the Google voice no longer comes up, thank the lord! Then I realized today that my home button wouldn't work, I had to press the back button to get out of apps. I stumbled upon this setting while looking for an answer in my settings.

Go to settings, then go to Accessibility, & then dexterity and interaction, then click the Interaction control button set it to ON.

Alot of us have the same thing in common, we are pressing the home key 3 times or more in an attempt to get back to our home screens. This section in settings clearly states that pressing the home key 3 times enables and disables this feature. I have no idea if it is related or not, what I do know is that as of right now I'm able to press my home key again & although it takes half a second, it IS finally going straight to my home page again from every app or Web browser. Good luck guys, hope this helps!

kaykay1089

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
& I just tested this theory out ^^

I went back into the settings and turned the Interaction control button OFF, and the home key did not work. As soon as I turned it back on my home key was restored. I think because we keep hitting the home key over and over we have all been accidentally disabling our home keys!!